Is there any way of a member to block another member?

xtech

I don't think so.  I assume the usual actions would be for the stalkee to Ignore the stalker, or for the mod/admin to take action against the stalker.  This isn't possible in your case?

I wonder if @Kevin Carwile's Rules app might allow you to create something that would do this on a granular (e.g. member-level) basis?  That is, IF poster=stalkee AND viewer=stalker THEN hide content from stalker?  If there's any app that could do this I think it would be Rules.

Thank you! 

I can't take action yet because the stalking action occurred in "real world" not in the community - they know each other. He has already ignored the stalker, but it's impossible to avoid the stalker to check what he is doing at the community.

I have the rules app, installed, yet i don't know how to use it for that - maybe @Kevin Carwile can shed some light on this?

@xtech it might also be possible to do the following (or something like it):

create two specific groups (e.g. STALKER and STALKEE?) and make those groups secondary groups of the stalker and person being stalked respectively (and no one else).  Then, maybe you can use group-related permissions to block group STALKER from seeing content from STALKEE?  I don't know if you can do this from within IPB, but maybe you can find a way to do it in Rules?  Sorry...just thinking off the top of my head.

12 hours ago, liquidfractal said:

I don't think so.  I assume the usual actions would be for the stalkee to Ignore the stalker, or for the mod/admin to take action against the stalker.  This isn't possible in your case?

I wonder if @Kevin Carwile's Rules app might allow you to create something that would do this on a granular (e.g. member-level) basis?  That is, IF poster=stalkee AND viewer=stalker THEN hide content from stalker?  If there's any app that could do this I think it would be Rules.

Doesn't the built in ignore function work?

My potentially unhelpful advice is to tell them to sort it out offline and don't get involved. Let them use whatever features the site already has (ie, the block/ignore feature). If they can't behave ban them both. If someone is accusing someone else of "stalking" then tell them to go to the cops.

Going down the road of allowing a user to censor their own content from other people might sound like a good idea, but I can see that it could result in cliques forming that block users they might dislike from seeing any of their content.

And what stops the "stalker" from just creating another forum account to get around the block? In that case you are waving a red flag saying "violate my rules and disrupt my community" and if they get caught and banned, they've already gone past the threshold of ban evasion & creating multiple accounts so it could just get worse. You could also get dragged into it by the alleged person being stalked saying "why can't you protect me". When it's not your duty.

That is a wise advice, but i think they can't sort it out in real life. Some people are just crazy and you can't do anything. What i've told to the complainer is that as soon as the stalker crosses the redline, it will be banned. Even if he creates clone nicknames, you can see if the IP is the same, so it wouldn't be difficult.

Archived