New Competitors

TheWorldNewsMedia.org

I would be interested in discussing how IPS is planning to compete against the Workplace by Facebook?

I noticed on IPS's front page it basically has the same sales pitch for companies....

This brings me back to previous discussions where I was told that forums are different than social media.....

Workplace by Facebook is what they use in house.

Threaded commenting.

Messenger chat / Video chat

Video uploads and auto play...

Do you think that other companies (other than Google / Amazon) will be able to offer these upgraded services?

What do you think will happen to the flat forums of the world?

Your thoughts?

I really don't think it's a threat to IPS. One company making a product doesn't invalidate all alternatives, IPS has a larger target audience, open and extensible.

I haven't looked into it deeply, but I'm assuming you need a facebook account when communicating within Workplace. If so, that's a deal breaker for a number of businesses.

1 hour ago, TheWorldNewsMedia.org said:

What do you think will happen to the flat forums of the world?

Nothing. It's not going to kill forums.

You don't need a Facebook account. The account is based on your work email address typically.

Facebook is a "Forum" in a way.  It's not JUST social media now..... it has groups... files, downloads, video.......

Nevermind the state of the art messaging which is now being demanded more and more by a younger and younger crowd.

I remember when Yahoo mail was the breakthrough killer app in 1995.....  

The public is no longer impressed with "send a message" that isn't "real-time" unless it is just a comment on a topic.

The public also doesn't want to scroll through pages and pages just to sift through a side conversation that two people are having under a topic.

Again.... there are still many of us from the 1990's who are still comfortable here in "Old and Clunky" forum land.

But in 5-10 years???

Let me say though... that in the world of classic forums.... IPS still has the best team and shot at upgrading .....

Forums 2.0 could take over even social media in my opinion..... but reddit just doesn't seem to be able to do it.

I think you have a point there @TheWorldNewsMedia.org

The younger generation (Millenials), they grew up using the Internet. Thus they are accustomed to what we call rich media. This is why services like Snapchat, instagram, livestreaming are all booming because young people are using it on a daily basis to communicate. 

But nothing will replace reading / writing in its most basic form of communication. Getting ideas and discussing it requires a lot more than just a vlog, a picture, or a WhatsApp group. The web is still the most complete solution - that is why corporations need desktop computers, they wont be able to run on tablets or smartphones alone. Through the web we are able to convey text, images, videos, sound, and everything else. Ideas and content can be displayed as massive as it gets and discussed; broken down to the core. 

This is where I think Forums are perfect. It is the perfect combination of anonymity, content, and collaboration. Your mention of Forums 2.0, in this case reddit, lacks the  content capabilities. Yes it gives instant gratifications, which is what millenials want, but most content in reddit are all LINKS to either a blog post, image, or whatever may be. Forums has all of this capability. I agree with your statement that reddit is not able to do it, precisely because it is not meant to be Forums 2.0. 

What I'm trying to point out is that there is still a specific need that only Forums can provide an answer to. That is in-depth discussions, content, and resources. I'd say if your community is more catered towards light-hearted ideas that can be discussed through chat, you might need to break free from the old and clunky Forums. 

But okay, I haven't seen Facebook's Workplace. 

10 hours ago, vpatrickd said:

What I'm trying to point out is that there is still a specific need that only Forums can provide an answer to. That is in-depth discussions, content, and resources. I'd say if your community is more catered towards light-hearted ideas that can be discussed through chat, you might need to break free from the old and clunky Forums. 

But okay, I haven't seen Facebook's Workplace. 

I agree with this and posted about this in a few other topics. The forums that I own in a niche that provide answers to something, are doing ok. The forums that are around a niche for "sharing" things aren't doing so well. The "sharing" has shifted to large social networks. Any forums I build in the future will be strictly around help, answers, support. Things you will not get in detail on a social network.

16 hours ago, TheWorldNewsMedia.org said:

I noticed on IPS's front page it basically has the same sales pitch for companies....

Nah. Workplace is a collaboration tool meant to be used within companies and organisations to organize the company work. Invision creates community software. So there is no need to compete against Workplace. 

Archived