Changing site name from .net to .com

KentT

I have been running IPS v4 for several months on my test site, i.e. www.example.net

I am now ready to take that test site live and I want to change it to the "production URL" of .www.example.com -- I've used that URL for almost 18 years and do not want to change it, similar to keeping an old cell phone number when you get a new phone. Meanwhile, I have unlocked the test site, with a link to it for the users, who are learning how to navigate it and use it.  I've simply locked down the old site and left a link pointing to the new one.

What actions do I need to take in IPS to make this change, other than the simple DNS stuff to point to it.  (I realize that I also need to update my records with IPS to show this new URL address for updates, etc). What concerns me is all the internal workings of the site that have been using the .NET address. I don't want to break the site as I try to really go live...

Alternatively, I'm perfectly willing to "pay a pro" to do whatever is needed to make this happen.

TIA...

1 hour ago, KentT said:

I have been running IPS v4 for several months on my test site, i.e. www.example.net

I am now ready to take that test site live and I want to change it to the "production URL" of .www.example.com -- I've used that URL for almost 18 years and do not want to change it, similar to keeping an old cell phone number when you get a new phone. Meanwhile, I have unlocked the test site, with a link to it for the users, who are learning how to navigate it and use it.  I've simply locked down the old site and left a link pointing to the new one.

What actions do I need to take in IPS to make this change, other than the simple DNS stuff to point to it.  (I realize that I also need to update my records with IPS to show this new URL address for updates, etc). What concerns me is all the internal workings of the site that have been using the .NET address. I don't want to break the site as I try to really go live...

Alternatively, I'm perfectly willing to "pay a pro" to do whatever is needed to make this happen.

TIA...

Its very simple if i have the correct understanding wish for now use .com domain and not the .net domain if that correct you just need make sure backup FIRST, then change the conf_global.php and once that done change the system settings within Admin CP then forum will work as did before but using the .com domain if have any issue or other question please ask.

Well I got that done, and the DNS servers are now being updated.  I can access it most of the time with the new URL.

I could find no place in ACP to change the domain name, however.

Now, some of the IPS icons (forum icons, the little ones for Notifications, Alerts, PMs etc) are not showing up though.  I must've missed something somewhere.

Thanks!  It might if my ACP looked anything like what AndyF posted.  It doesn't:

4. Visit the ACP (directly via /admin on the URL) go to Tools / Settings > General Configuration > Look *very* closely at the upload path/url and compare what you have with what is suggested in the description. The description is correct 99% of the time. Adjust as needed.

5. Do you have Gallery/Blog ? If so visit their settings and adjust their upload path/URL too.

That's the main bit done, now we just need to do some cleanup:

6. Go to Look / Feel > Template Tools > Rebuild Master Skin Data > Check all the box's left and right > Run the tool

7. Return to Template Tools > This time run 'Recache Skin Sets' (important: do this after (6) not before > Pick each skin out and run the tool (don't use the 'all' option for this at this time!)

8. Do you have friendly rewritten URLs ? If so or if in doubt go to Settings > Search Engine Optimisation > Htaccess Mod ReWrite > If this is enabled use the 'new' code shown here to replace the existing code in your .htaccess file

The only setting I could find out of that whole list was dealing with Friendly URLS. Nothing on General Configuraion, upload paths for any of the apps, no way to rebuild master skin, etc. 

Either I'm having serious comprehension issues or my ACP looks nothing like that one described...

Archived