Has the auto save function been dropped in IPS v.4x?

Kit_L

Our forums feature long, sometimes complex, posts that can take an hour or more to write. In IPS 3's versions of the community suite software, there was an automatic Save function that many members of my board relied on; if there was a lost connection, for example, or the software froze, reloading and going to the post, and selecting More Reply Options offered to restore the last saved version of whatever one was posting.

Has that feature been deleted in v.4? As the board admin, if this feature still exists, how can I activate it? TIA.

49 minutes ago, Kit_L said:

Our forums feature long, sometimes complex, posts that can take an hour or more to write. In IPS 3's versions of the community suite software, there was an automatic Save function that many members of my board relied on; if there was a lost connection, for example, or the software froze, reloading and going to the post, and selecting More Reply Options offered to restore the last saved version of whatever one was posting.

Has that feature been deleted in v.4? As the board admin, if this feature still exists, how can I activate it? TIA.

The feature is actually better in IPS 4 than IPB 3, in my honest opinion. It's more instantaneous because it relies on the browser. You can test it out right now on here - start typing a post, refresh, and you'll see that the post has not gone away and remains there. You can even leave the page and come back and the post is still there. ^_^ Honestly, it's one of the better features of IPS 4. If you don't trust the editor to autosave, you can also copy your entire post to your clipboard and then paste it back into the editor and everything will still be properly formatted, including spoilers! And you don't need to enable it. It's built in right from install.

That's interesting, because only this morning I lost about 15' work—but maybe I did not wait long enough (or did not refresh, something I would not have done in IPB 3) but the post did disappear. Not sure what happened, or I might have been too impatient.

I did just do what you suggested (via Chrome) and 'lo and behold': after refresh, I'm still here (spooky, a little bit).

Thanks for that; very reassuring. 

• 1 year later...

I preferred the prior way of saving to the database.  Something that I don't think was ever implemented, but other forum software has, is a save to draft feature. There are times when I want to start a post, but might not have the time to finish it.  A draft feature would be very helpful.  Even the old version where it saved to the database every 30 seconds or so would be a lot better than what we have now.

5 hours ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Not from the ACP.

The autosave functionality is provided by the ipsautosave ckeditor plugin - you could utilise the 'removePlugins' configuration setting for CKEditor to remove it from the configuration. I've had a go at this previously, to no avail though.

Okay, thanks much!

Archived