How to change login attempts from 1 failed = locked

cualupe

You should be able to set this option in your ACP. I have mine set up where if a user's account is locked, the system will unlock after 15 minutes. But, I think admin's should leave it locked until user contacts the admin, to prevent hackers from deliberately locking forum accounts.

The problem I ran into is that while the automatic unlock was fine for IPS3 (the chances of a user discovering the login was rare). But, this isn't true for IPS4. It just takes a rogue user visiting your site to decide to wrongly log into your account, which locks it up. If there was a way to disable this from happening, I would definitely welcome it. But, as someone who actively protects his members from such things, its security that I try to maintain. I think this may have been an oversight with IPS.

Honestly it's not a big deal. I also believe they keep their emails up to date because they log in with them. If they log in with a username for 5 years chances are they don't. Once you change it, they are still logged in. When logged out and they go to log in, if they enter their username, it fails, and in the error message it says to enter email. In your language just put email address in big bold red letters. You could even add a message like "We now require..." You will not receive any messages. ;) (maybe a few...)

Archived