Protected forums display "no posts"

steadyoptions

Both links work for me, not sure why it doesn't work for you.

The issue is as following:

In IPB3 (first link) guest who has permissions to "show forum" can see the forum and how many topics and posts the forum has.

In IPB4 (second link) same permissions cause guests see the forum names but all forums show "no posts".

Just off for a group.

Background: this is a trading forum open to subscribers only (except for 3 subforums open to everyone). The way it works now (IPB3): guest permissions for those subforums are "show forum" only. Once they subscribe, I open selected forums for viewing topics and posting. But guests can view the forum titles and number of posts.

In IPB4, same settings cause the forums to show "no posts" which is not good, since guests might think there is no activity on the forums. Not good for the business.

it shows no posts for me too 

it made me to create new category and hide it instead of just putting a password on sections,  because i didnt want for people to see a section says no posts and its in fact just a protected section 

this is completely wrong 

• Management
7 minutes ago, MRniceGUY1990 said:

it shows no posts for me too 

it made me to create new category and hide it instead of just putting a password on sections,  because i didnt want for people to see a section says no posts and its in fact just a protected section 

this is completely wrong 

31 minutes ago, Lindy said:

Yes, please file that in the bug tracker. 

Just now, steadyoptions said:

Where is the bug tracker?

https://community.invisionpower.com/4bugtrack/

• 2 weeks later...

I opened a ticket and was told that "This is working as per design in 4.x. A guest with no permission to view a forums content would not be able to see what or how much content is within a given forum."

I think this is a wrong design. In 3.x protected forum was showing number of posts and topics. If you don't want to show that info, it should at least say "protected forum". Displaying "no posts yet" is simply wrong and misleading.

• 4 weeks later...

This is showing in the bug track as " This is as intended "

From my point of view it is wrong. I want members to register and see the content of these forums. How many will assume that the legend is telling the truth and there "are no posts here"? I would much prefer potential members to know the truth - that there is content available and that they just need to register to view it! 

• Management
8 hours ago, Bill Edwards said:

This is showing in the bug track as " This is as intended "

From my point of view it is wrong. I want members to register and see the content of these forums. How many will assume that the legend is telling the truth and there "are no posts here"? I would much prefer potential members to know the truth - that there is content available and that they just need to register to view it! 

I agree with you. I'll get it addressed. 

• Management

Yes, my apologies. I didn't understand the scope of the report and took it as face value.

When we close a report, please do reply to it with any further information or if you think we are wrong to close it. The bug reports are not locked when they show 'closed', so you can reply if you have more information or feel you can make your point clearer to us.

• Management
On 12/28/2015 at 9:24 PM, cualupe said:

Is there any update on this being changed?

Thanks

It's on the list - there is no ETA. Please understand this is one of those "yeah, it shouldn't be this way" type of things and not (in our overall scope of things) a "we better drop everything and address it immediately" type of things. 

Thanks for your patience.

4 minutes ago, Lindy said:

It's on the list - there is no ETA. Please understand this is one of those "yeah, it shouldn't be this way" type of things and not (in our overall scope of things) a "we better drop everything and address it immediately" type of things. 

Thanks for your patience.

yeah man I get that. just wanted to see where it was is all.

Cheers for replying

• 3 weeks later...

Archived