php 5.5+ supported ?

DO NOT upgrade to php 7. Always wait and see the issues with it first and compatibility with what software you are using. Incredibly poor advice to upgrade as soon as it is released.

If you have a Dev environment then go for it, for a production website, DO NOT, not yet anyway.

Libraries, packages and apps aren’t the only that need testing, though. Like the March Newsletter said (to which you can subscribe via this form, btw), extensions are on the front lines. PHP7’s new extension API is different enough from the old versions that several extensions will need extensive rewrites to remain compatible.

12 hours ago, ASTRAPI said:

At 12 of November you should try to upgrade to version 7 of php as it is offer more than 50% speed than the old versions and yes it will work great with IPB 4.x as the latest RC working without any issues already.

Please don't recommend this. IPS4 doesn't even approve support for PHP7 yet.

Ergo, use it at your own risk.

I didn't mean the same hour :)

I suppose that you have a tested server and be sure that all your software working fine and then.

Why using xcache when you have something better inbuild like Zend Opcache is something that i didn't think to be honest.

I was test the latest RC6 build with zendopcache and memcache and was fine :)

When the final 7.0 is out i will do one more test to be sure that all working and no last minute bugs and i will fire it :)

So if you are using other software than the ones that i tested and mention here then you should test then yourself first.

But in any case if you have any issue just go back to the older version it just takes a few minutes only (about 2 minutes).

The software that i use will not keep me back  and i am sure that i will be able to fire it up the same day and benefit from the amazing speed improvement !!!!!!

you are welcome to provide any actual data showing opcache being better than xcache. until then its just your opinion.

Just because it works fine for you doesnt mean it would for others. but yeah with new releases it comes with  bugs.. just wait for others to provide feedback on the new php version and then make a decision after if you wanna upgrade php 7 or not

1 hour ago, recifbox said:

wow....from a single question this thread become very interesting :)

You know what they say about small things :p in all seriousness though it doesn't even look like IPS plan to support it at the moment, there was a previous thread regarding it i'll try and find and link it

Scratch that idea for now, search is broken :(

I'm on 3.4.8 and PHP 5.6.14

My site is running fine with one small bug.  Even though there are many people online, the site always reports close to zero people logged in.... we have at most 2 or 3 at a time after the upgrade.  

Google analytics says otherwise and we normally have 150 - 350 logged on at a time.  So I feel it is just a reporting bug than an actual usability bug.

A sample:

http://massivescale.blogspot.gr/2013/06/php-55-zend-optimiser-opcache-vs-xcache.html

Comment

Well, XCache is no more the best opcode cache around.

But if you tested and works better and faster for you the xcache then stay with it...

Php 5.6.x no issues at all with ipb 3.x or 4.x and if you have any issues then check your server configuration.

On 5 November 2015 14:56:01, CheersnGears said:

I'm on 3.4.8 and PHP 5.6.14

My site is running fine with one small bug.  Even though there are many people online, the site always reports close to zero people logged in.... we have at most 2 or 3 at a time after the upgrade.  

Google analytics says otherwise and we normally have 150 - 350 logged on at a time.  So I feel it is just a reporting bug than an actual usability bug.

@CheersnGears 

You may find they all have the same IP address which is why they are not being reported as online (a guess on my part)

Cloudflare ? Varnish ? and other things cause this

In ACP you may wish to try

System > Security > Security Settings > Turn On Trust IP Addresses provided by Proxies

OOps - sorry thats for 4.1.x, there is the same setting for 3.4.x but i can't find it at present

Found it - For 3.4.x In ACP search for Forwarded - Set  Enable X_FORWARDED_FOR IP Matching to YES

Archived