How are Page Views counted?

4themusicman

Since updating our page views have plummeted. When the box comes up saying new replies if you click show replies does that count as a page view/thread view and if not why not? We have a linear thread which means everyone is always for 98% of the time on one thread. They will refresh that thread to look for new posts and just stay on it all day. 

Thanks!

Because doing so would moot the point of guest caching - not touching the database for anything to build the output.

I can understand if a typical page is 20 queries, 30 queries, whatever, then sure caching is a big performance increase, and I welcome that.  But to sacrifice correct page views to save one query seems a bit much, and that query most certainly does not need to be performed prior to the page being output -- it could be performed after, thereby having zero real impact on the response time.

A very large portion of my site activity is from guests.  Naturally I want the performance of caching, but I also don't want to sacrifice page view accuracy over 1 query that could be deferred.

Can you turn off Ajax notifications? I thought I saw a switch in the ACP but now I can't find it. 

The next question is why isn't it counted as a view if it's looked at via the Ajax Script? It's still looking at a new post. Color me confused.

I found something in the ACP > Customization > Themes > Custom. I toggled off use Ajax Pagination but it doesn't seem to have turned off the box that says New Replies click here to see.

Anyone? 

Yes it doesn’t turn that off, because it isn’t “pagination”. 

Okay great. Can you turn it off and if so how. 

If using it doesn't count for a page view I don't want it on. 

I don't understand why it wouldn't count as a page view if you press it other than the way the programmers did the software. What is the logic behind that? It's still viewing new posts it should count.

I don't understand why it wouldn't count as a page view …

Because it simply isn’t a page view, that’s why. ;) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_view

The whole point of Ajax requests is to interact with the web server without loading a full new page, i.e. creating a new page view. You click on the like button for example and it is saved and displayed without loading a new page. Loading a new answer via Ajax falls in the same category. It is an interaction with the web server, but not a page view. 

And even without this function to inject new answers into the page, page views do not measure “post reads”. If you enter a topic with unread posts, there might be 1 new post or 20, but it still would only register one page view. So why should reading a new post via Ajax count as page view each?  That’s just not what the page view count is for. A page view counts page views, not new posts read. 

• 1 month later...

same *problem*, I give you an example based on my motorsport board:

V3 board | May 24, Monte-Carlo Grand Prix + Indycar 500 Indianapolis: 1400 posts, more then 14.000 page views.

V4 board | Yesterday, Belgian Gran Prix + Pocono Indycar race: 1300 posts, 7200 page views.  Not good at all.

Archived