Automatic Image Resizing

ghinton

I really wish you could implement automatic image resizing for image uploading in both the forums and gallery. That is probably the number one question I get from my users when their image won't upload, and and it would be so much better if the admin could just set maximum dimensions and file sizes, and  if the file was too big, it would just be reduced down and not rejected.

Well for dimensions, there is already this:

Bildschirmfoto_2015-06-28_um_07.33.44.th

The file sizes depend on your server upload settings and processing power. It wouldn’t be helpful, if the IPS software lets files through, which are too large and then return a server error. 

I have had that setting set, but it has seemed to have had no affect and I had to switch it to unlimited, which of course allows a person to upload to whatever the max upload limit is that is set by php. A file size reduction would be best though. That way you could set a limit like 250 kb, and if a person uploads a 2 meg file, then it will be reduced down to no larger than 250 kb and the max dimensions.

That way you could set a limit like 250 kb, and if a person uploads a 2 meg file, then it will be reduced down to no larger than 250 kb …

I wouldn’t know how this could work. A file size is a result of image-downsizing. I wouldn’t know how the software could target a specific file size, other than creating dozens of files and then only keep the one that matches the target size “accidentally”. 

But like I said: the functionality for creating reasonable file sizes is there through the max dimension settings. Also the image quality settings (depending on the used graphics library) play an important role. 

And I guess my termenology is sort of incorrect. I should be saying compressing. There are some very good programs out there, but trying to get the average user to take their original, resize it, and then compress it would be nearly impossible. I believe ImageMagick  has has the capability using -define jpeg:extent=max value

Archived