Questions on Upgrading to 4.0

JohnCourt

I am going to upgrade to 4.0, and I am a tad confused at the page containing the instructions, the instructions address new installations, and upgrade via ACP but that ACP upgrade option is only valid after 4.0 is already installed.

So my big question of the day, do we treat the upgrade process like a new install? Do I just simply follow the instructions for new install as outlined below? Do I simply upload the 4.0 files to our home directory where our 3.4 exists, and let the 4.0 files overwrite and update? Thanks for any clarification on this folks!

Installing is very easy on your own server. You may wish to use our requirements checker to be sure your server supports our software before proceeding.

1. Download the Suite from the client area under Your Purchases. The system will generate a zip file with all your purchases in it.
  2. Upload the contents of the zip file to your server in whatever directory you wish the home page of the Suite to appear.
  3. Go to /admin/install in your web browser to execute the install routine.

From here the install routine will test your system to be sure it meets the requirements and inform you of any issues. It will also tell you if any directories need their permissions changed (chmod) on your server or any other changes that need to be made. The only other technical information you will need is your MySQL database name, username, password, and hostname from your web hosting provider. The install system will prompt you for all this information as you step through the process.

I told IP Board about this in a recent support ticket with the very same question you have. Of course I didn't get an answer to it and asked them to seriously think about purchasing a license for Confluence documentation CMS so they can update different versions of their software and have different how-tos for each.  They also don't do a very good job at explaining how to install, upgrade or do simple things like helping you familiarize yourself with the backend.

But to answer your question, you just move over all the files to (the IP Board 4) to your server via FTP so they can be overwritten on the current IP Board 3 you have installed.

screencap.PNG

The file structure of old and new versions are completely different. So I think you would need to upload them to a clean empty directory. Otherwise you will have old legacy files sitting for years cluttering your folders.

There are different ways to do it. If you have a small site and the upgrade will be a few minutes, then you can rename your old folder to /content2/ and upload the new stuff to /content/ (or whatever name your folder is). Then copy over the old config file, the downloads folder, and the uploads folder. Then do the upgrade.

I would suggest not using the live database, but make a backup database and change the config file to point to that. In case something goes wrong you can go back to the previous database.

If you want to be extra safe, do a test upgrade on a separate folder with backup database first to make sure nothing goes wrong. I did three upgrades, two went smooth and one had all types of trouble.

Hooks don't need copying and none will work anyway.

Interface doesn't need copying.

But that's not what the instructions say. The keyword being "contents" of the "all in one package" zip file.

"Upload the the contents of the "upload" folder in the individual zip archives you downloaded (or, if you downloaded the "all in one" package, the contents of the "IPS" folder), to your forum root directory, where conf_global.php is located, overwriting when prompted."

NOTE:

I meant to quote Vroom.

Your question was about copying folders. Nothing needs copying (not unless you want to make a backup or you want to set up a test forum using your existing data etc).

You essentially download version 4, unzip it and upload everything in the "Uploads" folder. Files on your server will be overwritten if need be. Now if you're a bit savvy you'll examine what gets uploaded on your harddisk and you'll see some of the current version 3 folders are no longer used. What I did on my server was add "OLD" to the end of the folder name. I later deleted these folders.

If you're still confused I suggest getting IPS to do the upgrade for you.

Nobody's confused. It's all good.

As much as I don't like vBulletin, at least they have a Youtube channel where they post video how-tos and have actual documentation. Community forums are not a substitute for having questions answered, as you will have all kinds of random people from the peanut gallery chiming in with answers that may or may night work.

NOTE: I did an upgrade on Saturday, June 27, 2015 from IP Board 3 to 4. I did exactly how I understood the poorly worded documentation to be: move over the entire "contents" of IP Board 4 to to your server containing IP Board 3.  Unfortunately the only problem I'm facing is a "methods_login" issue at the last stage of the upgrade.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I am kind of at a standstill right now though, I get as far as upgrading applications then I get the following error. Looking for a solution now. I performed the upgrade as stated in the instructions Christopher, and as you reinforced via those instructions. I'll let yall know if I can get a resolution to this shortly.

Capture.thumb.GIF.61f224484a70c26fe4a5bb

Archived