F5 takes down any IPB Site?

I held down F5 on my Community. This would end with constant refresh, i checked the CPU while doing so and it went 100%..

I know this same issue existed on 3.4, i hope this will improve on 4.0 soon.. 

I replicated the same issue on here, i made the response time increase from 0.5 seconds to 16 seconds or even time out (using check-host.net) .. by just holding down F5 lol

now my server is set up pretty well, i am using nginx mariadb, apc and memcached..

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not the dreaded "F5 SMASH" troll attack!!! Easiest Denial of service attack ever. Can something like this even be avoided programmatically?

​i only know about one forum software where this happens and you can guess which *Cough*

This would be a server side configuration, a proper firewall will be able to detect multiple connections per xx seconds, and block the offending IP.

​I'm wondering why this happens on only IP.Board, out of other forum softwares I've tried? I can't manage to replicate same issue where CPU goes 100% no matter how many cores you have, by just holding down F5. 

Adding r/s is no issue, but still. Shouldn't be necessary, a website shouldn't be taken down by holding down F5..

a website shouldn't be taken down by holding down F5..

Sometimes I come to IPB site and hold F5 for 15-30 sec. I don't know why, but I like to see forum down with error. After that I watch how many time they need to start a server again. It can be 10-15 mins or even a day :)

I tried it with many wordpress sites and never got them down.

Sometimes I come to IPB site and hold F5 for 15-30 sec. I don't know why, but I like to see forum down with error. After that I watch how many time they need to start a server again. It can be 10-15 mins or even a day :)

I tryed it with many wordpress sites and never got them down.

​that was you?

There are 3 ways to prevent F5: 1) proper configuration of the server 2) use cache on every level - DB cache, HTML cache, Object cache and others 3) your method?

​my server is more than properly configured and it happens, i shouldn't need to add request limit because of the software, cus it doesnt work on any other CMS i've tried.. means there is something wrong with IPS

Archived