Getting to newest post on mobile is awkward. You have to click the tiny date under the avatar and you end up going to the profile because you clicked the avatar. Can this be improved?

chilihead

• 2 weeks later...

I've been banging on about IPS's attitude towards the mobile skin for months. It's as if they seem to consider it less important than the desktop.

One outstanding issues I've been trying to raise is that you cannot easily go to the last page (or any specified page) when browsing a topic.

One outstanding issues I've been trying to raise is that you cannot easily go to the last page (or any specified page) when browsing a topic.

​This.

Instead they have 2 buttons that do exactly the same thing. Next page along with the numbers of the closest pages. Completely redudant and a waste of space, when a last page button is needed instead.

Unless I'm missing something, there is a last page button already. When I emulate a mobile device screen size, this is what longer topics look like for me:

Note the links to pages 18 and 44 on those two long topics.

​Again, once you get in to a topic on mobile the functionality is reduced - your solution involves having to go back to the forum list if you suddenly decide you want to jump to the last page. Also how, in a thread, do you jump to say page 10 of 15 pages?

​Again, once you get in to a topic on mobile the functionality is reduced - your solution involves having to go back to the forum list if you suddenly decide you want to jump to the last page. Also how, in a thread, do you jump to say page 10 of 15 pages?

​Yeah, it's not optimal (though it's still much better than the IPB3.4 mobile skin). If they don't want to add any new elements to the page, they could make it so that the "x replies" is a link that lets you jump to a specific page, both on the subforum index and inside the topic.

​We are talking about when you are within a topic - we are not talking about jumping to the last post.

​Then I am not getting it. Either you read a topic from the start or you have already read it and want to directly jump to new content. You make that that decision when you enter the topic. Why would you go to the beginning of the topic first and then make a jump to new posts? Same for arbitrary jumps as to page 10 of 15 or something like that. Sure, it’s theoretically possible, but it’s reasonable not to clutter up the valuable space on mobile screen with buttons for such rarely useful links.  

​Then I am not getting it. Either you read a topic from the start or you have already read it and want to directly jump to new content. You make that that decision when you enter the topic. Why would you go to the beginning of the topic first and then make a jump to new posts? Same for arbitrary jumps as to page 10 of 15 or something like that. Sure, it’s theoretically possible, but it’s reasonable not to clutter up the valuable space on mobile screen with buttons for such rarely useful links.  

​It doesn't matter. This choice should be available from within the topic as well.

The worst part, again, is that there are 2 buttons that do the same thing, instead of having two equally useful buttons. This is bad design.

ertjetjertj.thumb.png.9b1576dced34c29a3a

Replace the "Next" button with a "Last" button.

​It doesn't matter. This choice should be available from within the topic as well.

Nice way of arguing. ;-) You just dismiss my point without a single argument and claim what should be there without an argument. 

ertjetjertj.thumb.png.9b1576dced34c29a3a

Replace the "Next" button with a "Last" button.

​I guess that is useful. I checked it out and what is shown and hidden is just controlled through CSS, so it should be rather easy to change. 

Nice way of arguing. ;-) You just dismiss my point without a single argument and claim what should be there without an argument.

​No, the argument is simply that this is something that should be available from within the topic view. That's all the argumentation that is needed IMO. :thumbsup:

You argue that one should make this choice prior to entering the topic. Well, if I want to read the first post of a topic, then go back to the last page, why should I be forced to exit the topic, then reenter it again, instead of having a quicker way to get to the last page? This ties together with the other fact that there are 2 buttons that do the same thing.

Do you need more reason? :P

​No, the argument is simply that this is something that should be available from within the topic view. That's all the argumentation that is needed IMO. :thumbsup:

No it’s not, because it simply is no argument. It’s just a statement of a personal wish. I could claim “there should be the picture of a unicorn on every page”. Because like you say: That’s all the argumentation that is needed, right? 

*sigh*

I'm not going continue this pointless discussion. Only thing I achieve is a vandalised notifications box (long title). I have provided you with reason in the first post you quoted, although you chose to quote the first half and be snarky, when the reason you wanted was in the second half of the post.

Ciao. :)

I am not being snarky, I am being precise. 
And if you have read carefully, you would have noticed, that I have actually agreed(!) to your suggestion of replacing “Next” with “Last page”.

But when I make a point about how common certain link uses are and how that needs to be weighed when deciding what to do on very little mobile space, you can’t just say what I say “doesn’t matter” without an explanation why it doesn’t matter. And you shouldn’t just say “it should be there” without an explanation, why it should be there. A statement about what you like and don’t like is no argument.  

Archived