Move the installation to a different location on server

Vikestart

I just moved my forum installation from /forums/ to /sanctuary/ and I changed the board URL in the config file, however, now some of the images are not showing and the ACP has no CSS styling anymore whatsoever and is a complete mess.

Am I missing something?

Back around January - February Charles made a comment that Matt would be making a script for moving sites, where I am also waiting for this...

But the up side to this, even though you are missing images & css you got it partly working. Whereas for my attempts have been nothing but a train wrecks.

​3.x is very easy. FWIW: Move the files etc. Then update the upload URL/Paths. Then rebuild the Master Skin Data via Template Tools and finally ReCache the skins.

​It is a little bit more complex than that, actually. This way the urls are not necessarily correct, and doing the config data manually is also a pain, it takes a lot of time to do, and it is easy to make a mistake. :). Speaking from experience here. The question si whether you'd want it working, or working correctly. :)

I created a manual for it in the past few hours or so. I'll create a topic for it.

Kind regards, Wim

​It is a little bit more complex than that, actually. This way the urls are not necessarily correct, and doing the config data manually is also a pain, it takes a lot of time to do, and it is easy to make a mistake. :). Speaking from experience here. The question si whether you'd want it working, or working correctly. :)

I created a manual for it in the past few hours or so. I'll create a topic for it.

Kind regards, Wim

​I'll admit I did not cover changing post content but that is normally not that bad to do with a set post replace

I have never had an issue moving, saving, duplicating or rebuilding after a Wamp crash with 3.4.7 and older. I even have a machine here running XP that runs the older 2X boards.

But for the life of me 4.0 will crash and burn every (never mind) time... Did all Charlie_IPB said only I hit every file in the Datastore, obviously the conf_global as well. A while back even took the advise of Andy F and OceanWest by copying the database via command line and reintroduced .htaccess to my local setup... Natta...

I may try it again soon. - Dumped the latest Wamp (after last death) cleared all fragments from the Registry and reinstalled the Last known working without issue from 2009. I upgraded php and mysql to run version 4.0 RC 5a at the moment. Though there are some pretty good bugs in 5a Wamp (so far) seems to be running as strong as ever. So I may just build up the guts and try a backup and rename again.

Can you be more specific to the tables you had to modify with the new path?

We had the same problem

Here is how we successfully did it :

- replace /oldfolder/ by /newfolder/ in your mysql database (search for oldfolder)

- replace oldfolder in some files in /datastore/

Thats all

True, I had checked that out but it's for 3.4 and I am running ISP4.  The database structure is not the same, names.

​I'll create a procedure for 4.0 when I get around to it. Currently I am still on 3.4.7 for all 3 of my installations, and need to check first if all keeps on working. Earlier betas and RCs broke our boards. No time to retry yet, I am afraid.

The principle should be very similar, however.

Kind regards, Wim

My board is from a new install of 4, so I can imagine trying to upgrade from 3.4.x would be very interesting.  I am moving fast to get my forum done and out, so support is working with me to get it done.  Thanks!

​It is actually easier to upgrade from 3.4.7 to 4.0 than it is to move 4.0. So if you or anyone else is looking to relocate. Move the 3.4.7 files, database and system checks first then upgrade. Then pray you won't have to move it again anytime soon.

Mine was a fresh board install.

Moving the directory I'm going to simply do a mysql dump and do a find/replace (/forum/ to /forums/) in that dump file and save.  Next I will delete all the tables and import in the new file.  Of course I will take a backup first in case of disaster.  Then clear the datastore, change the .htaccess & conf_global.php files with the new folder name, rename folder.  I will see if that works.

Ok I did all that and the other actions I needed to take...

- Update constants.php (if you have one)
- Turned on/off designer mode, that did the trick (I guess this is like how 3.4.x has rebuild master skin?)

The only thing I did extra which I am not sure about was change 2 places in core_theme_template table, but everything seems to be working.   Maybe someone can tell me if I goofed something up.

So in the core_theme_template table I changed...

from

{template="follow" app="core" group="global" params="'forums','forum', $forum->_id, $followerCount"}

to

{template="follow" app="core" group="global" params="'forums','university', $forum->_id, $followerCount"}

and from

{template="follow" app="core" group="global" params="'forums','forum', $forum->_id, $followerCount"}

to

{template="follow" app="core" group="global" params="'forums','university', $forum->_id, $followerCount"}

It looks like it deals with follower content, but I have that functionality turned off at the moment, so I need to check it.

• 2 weeks later...

That is what I ended up doing but the old folder was called forum, so for the most part it cleared it up but there was some questions like the 2 above, but all seems to be working, but I caution, fast fixes typically come back to bite, so I spent about 45 minutes making sure everything worked.

Archived