Enable Sphinx for 4.0?

nylyon

In the ACP, I have changed the search type to Sphinx.  Server address is 127.0.0.1 listening on port 3313.  I have taken the sphinx.conf file and placed it in the forum root directory and started sphinx:

searchd --c /home/whadmin/public_html/sphinx.conf

and it starts up fine.

When I click "rebuild index" in the ACP I get an error "EX1064 Something went wrong. Please try again."

It doesn't appear that the sphinx.conf file is complete compared with 3.4

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm there are some issues currently with IPS4 and sphinx as of RC5, we have an internal report on this and I'm sure our Dev Team will get it fixed up.  

:) 

​Rhett, Sphinx is set up more or less like in 3.4 or its different this time? In the ACP, it only tell's to upload the sphins.conf and start the daemon, nothing else. No Cron Job needed?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My test forum isn't as up to date as my production site.  I upgraded Sphinx and IPB, and sphinx is working, and working nicer.  

Question, how can I change the default sort order to by date?  It seems that search is picking up older posts instead of newer ones.  In my experience, most members want to see most recent entries in their search results.  Sorting that by default would be helpful.

My test forum isn't as up to date as my production site.  I upgraded Sphinx and IPB, and sphinx is working, and working nicer.  

Question, how can I change the default sort order to by date?  It seems that search is picking up older posts instead of newer ones.  In my experience, most members want to see most recent entries in their search results.  Sorting that by default would be helpful.

​Hello, Can you tell the steps you made to configure it?

Sure can.  In my case I needed to re-install Sphinx to upgrade it so:

Uninstalled current version of Sphinx (yum -uninstall sphinx)

Downloaded fresh version http://sphinxsearch.com/downloads/release/ in my case I am using Centos 6, 64 bit.

Installed Sphinx (rpm -i sphinx......)

In the ACP (search for search) - enable Sphinx Search.  For a server address, I believe you need to specify the local host 127.0.0.1 in most cases.  I chose port 3313 and a base path of /var/sphinx.

Click save, download the new configuration file and place it at  /etc/sphinx/sphinx.conf and start sphinx:

searchd --config /etc/sphinx/sphinx.conf

Finally, go back into the ACP Search panel and click "Rebuild Search Index"

That's all I needed to do to get it running and so far it seems to be working well on the test forum.

• 2 months later...

On IPS 3.4 the support was limited to Sphinx 0.9.1.

Does anyone know if IPS 4.0 may use Sphinx 2.2.9?

I setup the latest Sphinx 2.2.9 with 4.0.9.2 and it worked fine, however I'm not s Sphinx expert so getting things like wildcard search to work and other advanced features wouldn't work for me, but that is more of a Sphinx config issue and not a IPS issue.

PS if you get it working, please share your Sphinx config.

PPS Sure wish they would switch to Elastic Search, must easier to use and scale, and less of a PITA to configure.

I reported some bugs to the dev team with Sphinx 2.2.9 which they said they would fix (had to do with utf mb support) but I was also told Sphinx is out of date and basically no longer needed.  Eager to test search performance on my IPB 4 board, but stuck waiting for a vb 3.8 to IPB 4 converter first.

I reported some bugs to the dev team with Sphinx 2.2.9 which they said they would fix (had to do with utf mb support) but I was also told Sphinx is out of date and basically no longer needed.  Eager to test search performance on my IPB 4 board, but stuck waiting for a vb 3.8 to IPB 4 converter first.

sphinx is outdated and no longer needed? Why is that?

sphinx is outdated and no longer needed? Why is that?

It's not so much as outdated really, however with the development of mysql innodb and full text search that is available on mysql 5.6+ it's often a better option to use mysql. Less headache, less maintenance on keeping sphinx working and up to date etc, however I'm sure there is still a niche for sphinx as well in some cases.

For my forum, I need to run Sphinx.  This is not for performance, but because of an inherent design of the SQL with respect to a hyphen "-". 

I would love to utilize the native search, but it is insufficient when searching for things like "C-160"

I setup the latest Sphinx 2.2.9 with 4.0.9.2 and it worked fine, however I'm not s Sphinx expert so getting things like wildcard search to work and other advanced features wouldn't work for me, but that is more of a Sphinx config issue and not a IPS issue.

PS if you get it working, please share your Sphinx config.

PPS Sure wish they would switch to Elastic Search, must easier to use and scale, and less of a PITA to configure.

I did set up wildcard search with this config:

https://community.invisionpower.com/topic/417194-sphinx-config-wildcard-searching/

It's not so much as outdated really, however with the development of mysql innodb and full text search that is available on mysql 5.6+ it's often a better option to use mysql. Less headache, less maintenance on keeping sphinx working and up to date etc, however I'm sure there is still a niche for sphinx as well in some cases.

You are right in what you say, but there is one reason i still prefer to use Sphinx. With IPS4, it will create a separate table for the Search, which is very good in terms of performance and reliability, but that also means we have one more big table to fit in the buffers. In my case, that table alone is 1,4Gb, and i prefer my Database to be smaller and use Sphinx instead.

You are right in what you say, but there is one reason i still prefer to use Sphinx. With IPS4, it will create a separate table for the Search, which is very good in terms of performance and reliability, but that also means we have one more big table to fit in the buffers. In my case, that table alone is 1,4Gb, and i prefer my Database to be smaller and use Sphinx instead.

How many posts on your site?  Trying to do the math for what my search table would be after conversion.

Archived