Emoji after database conversion

lactsl

Hi,

I just moved to Mediatemple and I was getting the error Unknown collation: 'utf8mb4_unicode_ci' when importing my database.

They recommend I use the solution here http://stackoverflow.com/a/12721419 to convert the database before importing. I did this and now I'm noticing that if you click the emoji button in the editor toolbar, it loads and then shows nothing.

Is this related and how do I fix it?

Don't know if this is helpful for you, but I have this problem after conversion, opened a ticket about it, they said the problem was that data was saved "wrong" in the first place and it cannot be repaired. So I started changing all the odd symbols manually, fixed it only in language packs for now. Have no idea how to do it in posts so that it doesn't take like 100 years.

But you can try changing that parameter in system setting in ACP "server environment", that fixed the issue once for me, before the conversion though. 

Did you just edit that post with "questionmark" symbols to just emoji or am I going crazy here?

Don't know if this is helpful for you, but I have this problem after conversion, opened a ticket about it, they said the problem was that data was saved "wrong" in the first place and it cannot be repaired. So I started changing all the odd symbols manually, fixed it only in language packs for now. Have no idea how to do it in posts so that it doesn't take like 100 years.

But you can try changing that parameter in system setting in ACP "server environment", that fixed the issue once for me, before the conversion though. 

Did you just edit that post with "questionmark" symbols to just emoji or am I going crazy here?

​Sorry, I did edit it! I originally had the issue, then changed the 'sql_utf8mb4' => true, parameter in conf_global.php to false. That fixed it but then I noticed the emoji issue and assumed they were connected.

Hope that helps you.

In order for emoji font characters to be stored you generally need utf8mb4.  If you converted your database to utf8 and they don't show up now, that is the problem.  Your host will need to install a newer version of MySQL that supports utf8mb4 in order for the characters to be retained.

Archived