For an upgrade to 4, do 3rd party add-ons need removal?

wimg

Ok, I just did a test (fortunately test only :)) with a copy of a board which has tons of 3rd party add-ons installed. Wow, it looks strange/bad/weird, both the site and the admin panel.

I also installed a blank one - that looks like it is supposed to, no prob.

Does this mean I cannot upgrade until I have completely removed all 3rd party add-ons?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards, Wim

P.S.: I really hate the extra linefeed being added in for every return. Is it possible to switch that off somewhere?

Thanks for the quick replies, guys.

Some screen shots:

screen1.thumb.jpg.bdf8033ffa7bb7afa297fescreen2.thumb.jpg.a8c27ee7f11e26ff0a1025screen3.thumb.jpg.95f37046937b08b368ed33

First one is main page, second one is login screen for ACP, 3rd is ACP, first page.

Looks fine on a fresh install. I deleted all folders in the forum root directory, with the exception of image folders and such.

With the line feed I mean the following, in the message editor:

line 1, followed by 1 return:

You see how the second line of asterisks has a line between the " line 1" text, and itself, not to mention the line between the first line of asterisks and the "line 1" text? I don't want that (and neither do my users, they already complain about too much scrolling as it is), I want to be able to determine myself if I want to add in an extra empty line or not. Even here, with no CRLF, I still get too much white space between one line and the next. I can almost fit another line in between, if the editor would let me.

Warm regards, Wim

Nope, all done, I checked whether the test site was working properly, by going through all possible options, and going through -any- possible file locations 3 times, just to make sure. I have done dozens, if not 100s, of these test site conversions, as I like to use a proper, complete copy of my sites for testing, and I refresh them (read: do them from scratch again) for each test I do.

Anyway, I started again, disabled all 3rd party add-ons, and then it actually worked, kinda.

It gave 2 error messages during the upgrade, for Nexus, and CMS, and it couldn't handle the Downloads conversion for unknown reasons (yes, I created a bug report).

Nexus and CMS (Pages) doesn't work properly, although it displays some (the wrong) stuff, and Downloads doesn't work at all anymore.

With all the errors I have come across so far, apart from those for Nexus, CMS and Downloads, I reckon it is an alpha version and not a beta product yet. Certainly the Upgrade module isn't, and there are quite a few problems I run into using the software as well, both on the public and on the ACP end.

In addition, the rebuild of content etc. is incredibly slow. I did this on my smallest site, 113 MB, and it has been running for 14 hours, and only a fraction has been done so far. I have a 14 GB site as well, don't even want to think about that right now. I can't afford to be more or less offline for a few months or more.

I am not as impressed as I had hoped to be.

Kind regards, Wim

I think that having to trigger it by an active member is a flaw. I want any conversion to run as swiftly and quickly as possible.

Which cron are you talking about?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards, Wim

​I removed my IPS 4 testinstall so I'm not 100% sure that this is the correct path but in ACP -> System -> Advanced Configuration there is a setting called Use cron? activate it and follow the instructions.

If the path is incorrect search for cron in the ACP.

Hi,

I deleted all directories except uploads and downloads and the upgrade worked fine for me...

Look at this topic

Thank you kindly, ​I am aware of that topic, I perused it.

I did exactly that, and second time around I disabled all 3rd-party add-ons.

Still having lots of problems, with gallery, downloads (refuses to work at all), pages (cms) and store. 2.x and 3.x upgrade nightmares once again.

I am not going to do a live upgrade this time around until everything is sorted out, except upgrades of specially created sites for test purposes. Our main board contains > 3 million messages, has almost 90000 registered members, and hosts thousands upon thousands of reviews, 50+ GB of attachments and images, and I am not going to lose any of those this time around.

So far the problems I have found I have with a test site created from one of my smaller sites.

Kind regards, Wim

Daniel-son,

Thanks, I will do so.

I will first redo the upgrade, as I had to remove Downloads after creating a download sidebar item. It wouldn't do anything anymore, except display the error message..

As it is midnight over here, I will probably only be able to do so tomorrow. I will also give you the link to the 3.4.7. site it was derived from, so you can compare the two.

Kind regards, Wim

If you don't mind, please submit a ticket in the client area with the url,ftp and ACP data to your testboard and i'll be happy to take, to see what went wrong

​They don't attend tickets for Beta versions...

Thank you kindly, ​I am aware of that topic, I perused it.

I did exactly that, and second time around I disabled all 3rd-party add-ons.

Still having lots of problems, with gallery, downloads (refuses to work at all), pages (cms) and store. 2.x and 3.x upgrade nightmares once again.

I am not going to do a live upgrade this time around until everything is sorted out, except upgrades of specially created sites for test purposes. Our main board contains > 3 million messages, has almost 90000 registered members, and hosts thousands upon thousands of reviews, 50+ GB of attachments and images, and I am not going to lose any of those this time around.

So far the problems I have found I have with a test site created from one of my smaller sites.

Kind regards, Wim

I also had Downloads, and before upgrading I deleted several files and forums so the messages number decreased...

As told before you shouldn't mind about add-ons as they are disabled during upgrade...

I also optimized and repaired all tables using phpMyAdmin before upgrade, and if it is a test site I would delete some members as it is very slow the members upgrade process... you can delete those members who haven't write any message for example...

​That's correct, but there are always some exceptions (e.g. to reproduce bugs )

I also ask for a ticket if somebody complains that much and submits several bugreports like @wimg , because it's easier and faster to visit his board, to get a own view of his problems.
And sorry for confusions, i'm a staff member http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/403931-bug-tracker-reports-showing-fixed-by-regular-user/ with an incognito account.

I also had Downloads, and before upgrading I deleted several files and forums so the messages number decreased...

As told before you shouldn't mind about add-ons as they are disabled during upgrade...

I also optimized and repaired all tables using phpMyAdmin before upgrade, and if it is a test site I would delete some members as it is very slow the members upgrade process... you can delete those members who haven't write any message for example...

​Based on his comments and activity in the Tracker, I think Daniel-son is a staff member. So if he asks, I guess it is valid - as he indicated just above.

As to add-ons: the upgrade ONLY worked after disabling the add-ons. I didn't go through disabling them one-by-one and trying again, that was too much work. I would have been going at this for more than a week that way.

I always optimize and repair tables before doing this type of stuff, I have been a user of IP.Board for over 10 years. I will not delete any members or other stuff, this is only a 113 MB database to start with, and about 1.3 GB of total files used (maybe a little more), so rather small.

I want to know what I am up against when converting my big site, almost 90,000 users, well over 3 million messages, 14 GB+ database, about 50GB of file space used.

Kind regards, Wim

Archived