Can we create custom sidebar blocks?

Stritix

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
On 11/28/2014 at 8:45 AM, Marc S said:

This can be achieved with the pages application. You can create a block using the normal editor, so as long as you have permissions then you could indeed achieve this.

Call me crazy, but $100 just for this is insane..

5 hours ago, Kyle Valdes said:

You don't need the Pages application, but it certainly makes the process much easier.  

You can create your own Plugin and have it include Widgets.  But I'll be honest here, you'll end up spending more than $100 of your time setting up a development site so you can develop plugins, then whatever time it would take you to learn how to set up / configure / code your widgets.  

6 hours ago, Kyle Valdes said:

If all you want to do is custom sidebar blocks, then yes, you are right!

1 hour ago, Aiwa said:

You don't need the Pages application, but it certainly makes the process much easier.  

You can create your own Plugin and have it include Widgets.  But I'll be honest here, you'll end up spending more than $100 of your time setting up a development site so you can develop plugins, then whatever time it would take you to learn how to set up / configure / code your widgets.  

True - but if all he wants is custom sidebar block functionality, Pages is overkill and a waste of money.

15 minutes ago, Simon Woods said:

It's also not for just one thing. Pages opens up a ridiculous amount of possibilities.

Indeed - but if all he wants is to be able to add a custom sidebar now and then, it is not worth it financially.

There was an addon for 3.4.x that did this, but the developer abandoned it and nobody's taken up the mantle to create a 4.x version...

2 minutes ago, Joy Rex said:

True - but if all he wants is custom sidebar block functionality, Pages is overkill and a waste of money.

1 hour ago, Aiwa said:

But I'll be honest here, you'll end up spending more than $100 of your time setting up a development site so you can develop plugins, then whatever time it would take you to learn how to set up / configure / code your widgets.  

Depends on how you're counting your money... Time = Money...

On 28/11/2014 at 2:45 PM, Marc S said:

This can be achieved with the pages application. You can create a block using the normal editor, so as long as you have permissions then you could indeed achieve this.

Creating custom blocks should be as standard with IPB and shouldn't need Pages.

Most CMS's I have coded for, worked on and tinkered about with have had this for countless years.

7 minutes ago, TDBF said:

Most CMS's I have coded for, worked on and tinkered about with have had this for countless years.

It is standard, create a plugin with widgets... Pages just makes it easier.  

1 hour ago, TDBF said:

I agree it should be standard. It is pretty basic and should be added to the suite. 

1 hour ago, Aiwa said:

It is standard, create a plugin with widgets... Pages just makes it easier.  

Let's try that from a end user point of view and someone who doesn't have an idea about development, creating widgets or turning on Dev mode. What you are saying isn't user friendly at all.

The end user should just be able to go into admin/Block Manager, click new custom block and enter what they want and save. Without having to buy Pages or a custom block to do it.

Archived