Why is this IP Address Killing My Bandwidth?

is responsible for over 750 users at one time. I did search and Honeypot doesn't show anything negative and it goes back to Hosting Solutions International out of St. Louis Missouri.

I watched my message board go from 43 users online to nearly 800 in a matter of just a couple of minutes.

Do you know what this is any what it's doing?

Report the issue to it's provider if you feel it is in breach of your ToS.

For me, I get this info for that IP:

13986436621_4ce51045b1_o.png

florimleads. info seems to be a lead sharing site (or was). Id personally ban the IP and report the issue to it's provider. That will stop the funny business.

I also found this thread on the IP (only 20 days old). May be intersting to some.

Personally, I'd block it.

s4y (startdedicated.com is their default rdns host) is a budget dedi brand. Likely someone set up some sort of a scraper.

This is a personal approach, but if I see a heavy usage from an IP that's 1. a server, 2. never bothered to setup rdns, they have no business making excessive requests.

That's the same info I got. I banned it. It seems like this company, Hosting Solutions International may create bots for people to get information from websites that normally they would not have access to or have time to gather the information. I have no idea I just didn't like the 700+ users at one time it created.

It traces back to a local company that inquired about to do some SEO for me. They ran a crawler to see the size of my site and this was result. I had no idea they were going to go this. Total was 26,000+ users online at one time for this one ip address.

I assume this is going to affect my monthly hosting package here at Invision.

As an administrator, I have zero tolerance for breaches of ToS of my server, which includes IP address abuse. I have setup a script for my firewall that bans IP addresses for a time, that breach a pre determined number of attempts to access our webserver.

I assume this is going to affect my monthly hosting package here at Invision.

I doubt it would, as IPS should have scripts/safeguards against this type of issue (basic DDoS or excessive IP address abuse) and they should be the one's who report the abuse to the IP range providers.

If it is an issue, ban the IP and contact IPS for advice, I do not see a long running thread is going to help the issue any further than it already has :thumbsup:

I've had good experience with services like Cloudflare to deal with such occurrences.

If you get tired of monitoring and banning them, something like Cloudflare would be a good way to go.

I'm sure their free plan will be able to fix your problem, but if not, you can always use their Pro for $20/month.

As an administrator, I have zero tolerance for breaches of ToS of my server, which includes IP address abuse. I have setup a script for my firewall that bans IP addresses for a time, that breach a pre determined number of attempts to access our web server.

For those without the skills to write their own, the APF firewall script is pretty good at doing this. https://www.rfxn.com/projects/advanced-policy-firewall/

Archived