Tutorial For Members On How To Use?

tsruha

I was wondering if there are any resources out there that explain how to use all of the features of these forums. Like how to post pictures, use the calendar etc. A tutorial of sorts that I could link on my board so members can learn how to use everything. It takes a lot of time to answer all the questions and explain things and would be a huge help if there is a video, a page or something to answer a lot of these questions.

Thanks!--tsruha

This would be a great addition.

I have managed a big community in the past, and at first people didn't know how to do anything. They started learning and helping new members when they've got some doubts.

But for an initial presentation, it would be nice to have such a feature (optional).

the help files are a good place to start http://community.invisionpower.com/index.php?app=core&module=help

they are part of the ip board setup by default and are found at the bottom of the board

Hey Mark,

We both know that people don't like to read at all (ok they are in a forums, they need to, but just what they want).

Have you ever thought about the possibility of implementing something like the following into IPB? http://usablica.github.io/intro.js/

It should be a nice start ;)

… would be a huge help if there is a video, a page or something to answer a lot of these questions.

For general help, there is the already mentioned help section.

Apart from that, it's really community-specific. There are so many settings an admin can choose – any general video or introduction would only cause more confusion, because people then would start to look for things that might not even be there or work differently.

Recording a screencast to explain YOUR community is not a bad idea and easy to do. Also one could set up a simple page with screenshots that explain the typical new-member-problems.

I mean just the basic stuff. Which tag to choose to post a YouTube video, how to post a picture. Just the basics to get their feet we and as they learn this, they'll feel more confident and start exploring more features that may be available to them.

What's simple to us can be very frustrating to others. I have a quit smoking message board and the last thing I want to do is add frustration, lol :smile:

I would recommend doing a screen cast for your board and uploading the video for your community if that is the case.Have you asked the members what they would like to see,maybe a poll or a suggestions topic would help you get some feedback on your site.

could install the tutorials mod, then copy the help files to them. that may bring them to peoples attn better.

Excellent idea, I did this for the basic stuff, how to post images, etc on my forum using the Tutorials.

Archived