Suggestion: Fix the problem with merging of two threads (one link dies)

chromaniac

I originally posted it as a bug report and was asked to post it as a suggestion here.

If you merge two posts... IPB does two things:

1. It merges the two threads without asking me which thread I want it to pick as the new parent one.

1. It kills the link of the second thread. It becomes 404.

What I want IPB to do is to ask me which thread I want to keep after the merge. And I want it to redirect the second thread to link to the merged thread.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

It will depend on which thread you click on Merge in...

I forget but try two threads and do this...

Lets call then thread 1 and thread 2...

If I remember correctly if you click on thread 2 and merge it and past link to thread 1 I think its what you want...

but if not reverse the idea start with thread 1 and select merge to thread 1 and see one way is what you want to do...

Then remember better than I did and I hold two lifetime licenses even a branding free from Vbull had them since 1.6 version and this software hands down smokes it they just dont care were not European and they use weird like edit instead of post changes and the links should auto populate so I dont have to copy and paste it just like on FB the way theirs works...

I am checking on my board now for you...

BRB

Ok So I copied Thread ones link address and then 2 became dominate so

You need to select Thread one and merge then add the link to thread 2 and it should be what you want

Also in regards to the link you have a chance to leave a redirect for 30 days I think I would assume you may be able to edit the duration or you could always copy the new link location and simply post a thread with that title...

I will at times copy the information over from the inside post it below if its say a post or two I get for a very long thread thats not feasable but in that event ask using a support ticket and they will help you.