WordPress IPSConnect

Marcher Technologies

Marcher, I'm working on a rather large project and am about to decide to use WordPress as the front end CMS for the use but I'd like to have a bridge with IPB as there are features I want to carry over from IPB (downloads, nexus, my streams etc) but just want WP to power just the front end (much harder to accomplish this in content by editing many files/templates and creating hooks as it's harder to customize them how I need them)

Can you elaborate a little more on the 'bridge' -- One of the features of my project is going to look at users profiles fields in registration and in their profile itself and then gather the data for display on the site. When I create these registration/profile fields, are they created in both WP and IPB or is it one or the other?

If I have to basically create all this custom stuff in IPB, I might as well stick with it and pitch my idea of WP. But the reason I want to use WP is because skinning things like the login/register templates are going to be much easier than skinning them for IPB.

Example: '>

They'll click 'login' and it will fly open kinda scifi-ish and then if they click 'register' that window will expand out and load the register form via ajax vs's how IPB does it. Are you using IPB to login, or WP?

Make sense?

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello,

I will see what I can do.

To be clear, these are IPB users that do not have a WP account? The reverse I can do nothing for without the valid WP user password(plaintext), which is fairly infeasible without being them logging in validly manually.

However, in dynamic WP user creation... it doesn't matter what I put in for the password as the user in IPB is actually what is being authorized against.

$data['user_pass'] = wp_generate_password();

this for instance is used in the sso init user creation(because I simply don't have that password there), it is authorized against IPB on login, and on successful login is updated. ;)

Things are moving along ok! I have a couple "easy" questions :)

- Can the bridge control at all the ability to have the user see the "Pick a Display Name" the first time a user goes into the forum - this would be instead of the bridge automatically picking a username. Or actually instead - if a user creates their account with their First Name + Last Name, I would want that to be passed as the username. I'm guessing that could be done in code? (maybe point me in the right direction?)

- If a user on the WP side, cancels their membership account...Does that delete the user from the forum - meaning do all of their posts get deleted? If so, is it possible to just "freeze" their account, so if they try to log in, they get rejected, or redirected to recreate their account back on the WP site?

Thanks!

Hello,

To be clear, these are IPB users that do not have a WP account? The reverse I can do nothing for without the valid WP user password(plaintext), which is fairly infeasible without being them logging in validly manually.

However, in dynamic WP user creation... it doesn't matter what I put in for the password as the user in IPB is actually what is being authorized against.

this for instance is used in the sso init user creation(because I simply don't have that password there), it is authorized against IPB on login, and on successful login is updated. ;)

Yeah, IPB users do not have WP account. Seems that if I ask them to log in with their IPB credentials, WP does create a user account for them though.

Also an issue I have come up is that when they change what their name is displayed as in WP, it changes their Invision Power Board displayed name. Any way to stop this behaviour? How do I change a username on Invision Power Board and have it also change their username in WordPress? This does not currently work.

Also an issue I have come up is that when they change what their name is displayed as in WP, it changes their Invision Power Board displayed name. Any way to stop this behaviour?

Unfortunately not, that is by design, for consistency they need to stay synched as much as possible.

How do I change a username on Invision Power Board and have it also change their username in WordPress? This does not currently work.

They need to login or be SSO'd by IPB while not logged in for that change to take effect. To avoid unnecessary API calls no SSO call is made if the user is already locally logged in to wordpress.

Things are moving along ok! I have a couple "easy" questions :smile:

- Can the bridge control at all the ability to have the user see the "Pick a Display Name" the first time a user goes into the forum - this would be instead of the bridge automatically picking a username. Or actually instead - if a user creates their account with their First Name + Last Name, I would want that to be passed as the username. I'm guessing that could be done in code? (maybe point me in the right direction?)

user name is not the same thing as display name.
However, wp-contentpluginsipsconnectwp-ips-connect-core.php has the relevant code, specifically the init and checkAuth methods of wpIpsConnect.

- If a user on the WP side, cancels their membership account...Does that delete the user from the forum - meaning do all of their posts get deleted? If so, is it possible to just "freeze" their account, so if they try to log in, they get rejected, or redirected to recreate their account back on the WP site?

Thanks!

Questions.....
Is this membership program allowing the user to *actually* remove themselves from the database, or merely updating the user role?

user name is not the same thing as display name.
However, wp-contentpluginsipsconnectwp-ips-connect-core.php has the relevant code, specifically the init and checkAuth methods of wpIpsConnect.
Questions.....
Is this membership program allowing the user to *actually* remove themselves from the database, or merely updating the user role?

I'm going to have the membership program do whatever is necessary to be able to trigger the proper thing in the bridge to "freeze" the IP.Board account. I have the membership plugin developer doing a little customization. So you tell me what your bridge is expecting and we'll make it happen!

I'm going to have the membership program do whatever is necessary to be able to trigger the proper thing in the bridge to "freeze" the IP.Board account. I have the membership plugin developer doing a little customization. So you tell me what your bridge is expecting and we'll make it happen!

The issue is that the bridge has no such functionality, the developer would have to build an xmlrpc module to manage member group changes, something I have not yet implemented.

Are you using IPB to login, or WP?

This is particularly difficult to answer properly honestly.

Wordpress login page uses IPB auth, and is used in Wordpress.

IPB login page uses IPB auth and is used in IPB.

Registration and lost password requests are routed through IPB on both sides.

Thus, for your purposes, I believe the answer is IPB even though the wordpress login page is indeed used?

Hmmmmm, thanks. That's kind of what I figured, and is why I do like the idea of using WP

The reason as I mentioned is because WP is going to be a lot easier to use when making some neat modal windows or redoing how the login/register forms function/work. But if I'm understanding you right, this means that technically, I'm really using the template side of WP, but authenticating everything through IPB as its the master?

Marcher,

Apologies if this question has been asked and answered a hundred times before. I either missed it as I went through the thread, or didn't understand that the question being asked was the same as mine (highly likely).

I want to connect my WordPress install with my ip.board form so that a login to WordPress also logs the customer into the ip.board forum. SSO with WordPress the master I think?

I am using the hosted version of ip.board. I have pointed a subdomain at the hosted ip.board address, but am not sure that this counts as being 'on the same domain'. Can I use your plugin if my WP install is hosted on one machine, I am using the managed hosting of IPS for ip.board, and I have simply pointed with a CNAME my forum subdomain to the ip.board install?

Thanks for the help.

Marcher,

Apologies if this question has been asked and answered a hundred times before. I either missed it as I went through the thread, or didn't understand that the question being asked was the same as mine (highly likely).

I want to connect my WordPress install with my ip.board form so that a login to WordPress also logs the customer into the ip.board forum. SSO with WordPress the master I think?

I am using the hosted version of ip.board. I have pointed a subdomain at the hosted ip.board address, but am not sure that this counts as being 'on the same domain'. Can I use your plugin if my WP install is hosted on one machine, I am using the managed hosting of IPS for ip.board, and I have simply pointed with a CNAME my forum subdomain to the ip.board install?

Thanks for the help.

http://www.marchertech.com/

http://wp.marchertech.com/

If I understand you correctly, this is how I have mine setup barring the IPB hosting... you should however note that with SSO in play, even if the user never visits IPB directly, logging in to wordpress will generate an IPB session counted against your quota. I would also recommend that if you use xmlrpc that you limit the size of the logging in your database.

Hmmmmm, thanks. That's kind of what I figured, and is why I do like the idea of using WP

The reason as I mentioned is because WP is going to be a lot easier to use when making some neat modal windows or redoing how the login/register forms function/work. But if I'm understanding you right, this means that technically, I'm really using the template side of WP, but authenticating everything through IPB as its the master?

Indeed.

Hello,

For some circumstances, the user will not login to the IPB but instead be accessing the wordpress directly. How do the users access it without the password in the wordpress?

For some circumstances, the user will not login to the IPB but instead be accessing the wordpress directly. How do the users access it without the password in the wordpress?

these users do have an IPB account, correct? if there is an IPB account for the given user, what is in the WP database is only updated for consistency on successful IPB auth and is not actually used for authorization, again, if no IPB account exists I can do nothing for it, they need to validly login to wordpress and hit the fallback to make an IPB account.

The issue is that the bridge has no such functionality, the developer would have to build an xmlrpc module to manage member group changes, something I have not yet implemented.

Ok. Good to know.

What would you recommend? That the account be deleted? What if member wants to rejoin later?

Thanks for all the help!

Ok. Good to know.

What would you recommend? That the account be deleted? What if member wants to rejoin later?

Thanks for all the help!

I do not understand why it needs to delete a member in the first place. Moreover, that's a bad idea at the moment. They would just login and be re-created. :/

delete_user_option($wp_user->ID, 'user_level');
update_user_option($wp_user->ID, 'capabilities', '' );

just remove their capabilities and user level, and ensure 'No role for this site' has no paid privileges granted, and move on?

I do not understand why it needs to delete a member in the first place. Moreover, that's a bad idea at the moment. They would just login and be re-created. :/

delete_user_option($wp_user->ID, 'user_level');
update_user_option($wp_user->ID, 'capabilities', '' );

just remove their capabilities and user level, and ensure 'No role for this site' has no paid privileges granted, and move on?

Ok - getting clearer now - but I think it brings me back to the original question:

If WP Membership Plugin removes their user level and ensures "no role for this site" - does the Bridge then do the same thing on the IPB side of the house? Or is that back to your original statement about the Bridge not currently doing that?

Scenario -> I cancel my membership account through the WP Membership Plugin, then I go to the /forums page and try to login -> What will I see?

I really do appreciate the guidance, you've helped tremendously!

Ok - getting clearer now - but I think it brings me back to the original question:

If WP Membership Plugin removes their user level and ensures "no role for this site" - does the Bridge then do the same thing on the IPB side of the house? Or is that back to your original statement about the Bridge not currently doing that?

Scenario -> I cancel my membership account through the WP Membership Plugin, then I go to the /forums page and try to login -> What will I see?

I really do appreciate the guidance, you've helped tremendously!

Do you have premium IPB content? If you have the goal of synched member groups/roles at mind, unfortunately my best response is wait for a new release. I recognize this need and am indeed working on a new version.

If all the premium content is available only from wordpress, and the membership itself to ipb is not what you are selling, I'm not really seeing the point of such a synch however, 'No role for this site' is equivalent really to the default members group of IPB. The user still exists, just has reduced abilities.

To answer your question directly - at this time, exactly what they saw in IPB before the change.

Hey Marcher! Is there any way to have my members never see the forum-side login? Every time they login there it there's an error or it just redirects right back to the login or something like that happens. Support thinks this is the add on problem. Is there any way for them to never use IPB to login and only the wordpress side? It doesn't mess up that way when they navigate back to the forum.

Crossing my fingers for an easy solution!

Hey Marcher! Is there any way to have my members never see the forum-side login? Every time they login there it there's an error or it just redirects right back to the login or something like that happens. Support thinks this is the add on problem. Is there any way for them to never use IPB to login and only the wordpress side? It doesn't mess up that way when they navigate back to the forum.

Crossing my fingers for an easy solution!

I do not touch the IPB login in any way shape or form, if there is a conflict due to an addon, tis not this addon, and disabling all hooks would be an encouraged rudimentary debug measure.

To be very clear, the only additions I make to IPB are a sparing few xmlrpc methods far and away from any login functions, thus what you are describing undoubtedly has nothing to do with this modification..

Why I have xml-rpc disabled (in wordpress plugin) when this option and libs are enabled on my host :( I can't get this all to work... My master app is IPB forum, few days ago i put my forum form root into /forum subfolder, then install wordpress in root of my ftp and now it looks like that (example): domain.com (wp) and forum.domain.com (ipb).

Master application is IPB there for I get this Master Key for Wordpress. Follow Your instructions, but when I go to 7. I don't see any of Master XML-RPC API Key option which I can fill my API Key.

Any ideas what's going wrong?

Archived