KeyCaptcha and reCaptcha: Can they work together?

Rheddy

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, and Android devices do not execute javascript(this one specifically has been a pain in my butt since I noticed it).

Really? :) In this case why do we have millions correctly solved KeyCAPTCHAs on Android in our statistics? :)

Regarding KeyCAPTCHA without JS:

We don't force anyone to use our product.

If you would like to use reCAPTCHA which is not a barrier for spam-bots please use it. But in this case please do not be surprised why the count of users is less than the count of bots on your forum.

We are 100% sure that everybody is able to enable JS for the registration process.

Best regards,

KeyCAPTCHA

1. Errrm, given that it appeared like that as soon as I went to the Registration page and before I even tried it once, I don't see how it could have detected my IP as being an "abnormal count of actions from one IP", particularly when my IP is a static one which only I use?

2. When you say "some time ago" for the image issues on Chrome, how long ago was that and when was it fixed? It was only October when I couldn't use in Chrome.

1. Please send your IP to our support team at www.keycaptcha.com. After that we will be able to find the reason.

2. The issue was fixed in early November.

Best regards,

KeyCAPTCHA

Really? :smile: In this case why do we have millions correctly solved KeyCAPTCHAs on Android in our statistics? :smile:

Regarding KeyCAPTCHA without JS:

If you would like to use reCAPTCHA which is not a barrier for spam-bots please use it. But in this case please do not be surprised why the count of users is less than the count of bots on your forum.

We are 100% sure that everybody is able to enable JS for the registration process.

Best regards,

KeyCAPTCHA

Interesting, appears I need to hit the browser options of my device. :rofl:

In curiosity, what is the behavior in this case(js disabled), refusal or allowance?

Best regards,

KeyCAPTCHA

The problem is that KeyCaptcha is not even shown in browsers with advertisement blocking which is enabled by default in most browsers or with installed plugins like Adblock.
The users waste their time to fill registration forms in vain getting quite misleading messages or being blocked as spammers for unusual activity
reCaptcha is barrier, its passing by spam bots requires quite intensive processing, huge computer resources and transmission bandwidth.
Professional spam bots are quite expensive and require extremely qualified personnel.
More than frequently the engagement of human solvers are much cheaper.
And with KeyCAPTCHA the cost drops significantly since it facilitates the engagement of the hungry illiterates.
I would say it promotes slave labor

I realise that with JS off your solution just can't work so you can't recreate a similar puzzle. Surprised you think it is not worth having though.

A simple sentence with the words jumbled could work? (this has just come off the top of my head, but its puzzle-ish so might fit in as KeyCAPTCHA) Ask the user to enter the words in the correct sequence so that it makes a sentence which makes sense. e.g.

Use the following words to construct a legitimate sentence:

MAN THROUGH THE WALKED DOORWAY THE

User enters:

The man walked through the doorway

Obviously you'd either need a massive massive list of sentences or some way of generating legitimate sentences which kind of makes it suck. If you left it too simple obviously bots would just not use JS and go for the easy version. But it can't be too hard to brainstorm a non JS puzzle to use if I've come up with that in seconds.

• Management

There really is no good reason to turn javascript off these days. It's not really optional for most of the modern web now. IP.Board requires that you have javascript on and switching it off may make the board unpredictable. Furthermore, it's getting increasingly difficult to disable javascript in modern browsers.

I understand the theoretical point of view but really without javascript you will have a poor experience and it's not unreasonable to require javascript to register.

But if you feel it's right to allow people to register with JS disabled, then you can use reCAPTCHA or the Question and Answer system. You have choices. :)

I am so sick of members telling me how much they hate KeyCAPTCHA and ReCAPTCHA - so I have removed any CAPTCHA altogether.

With the integration of User Geolocation Restriction and Forum Spammer IP & Email Check via Stop Forum Spam, I dont have any issue's with spammers or the frustrations of entering a CAPTCHA for my members.

However this type of integration may not be useful for everyone if they accept registrations worldwide (and we do not).

I have not had any spam registrations/members register so far.

My $200 worth.

What happened to User Geolocation Restriction , the URL looks broken

Would it be possible to have KeyCaptcha and reCaptcha use but when it loads the registration form it choose one of them randomly to use? The reason I say this is because your site is not the only one label to be using KeyCaptcha and the other using reCaptcha. If you can use them both in this manner it would be pretty neat and help to keep the spammers at bay. If also it was connect to a IP address the person is coming from it can't change on a reload each time like the questions and answer to. People can just hitting reload to the get a question they gotten before.

• 2 weeks later...

I find using re-captcha sucks because I always end up hitting refresh 3-4 times to get something I can actually read... so on this fresh install of IPB I tried the keyCaptcha... wasnt impressed, it takes to long and proves difficult depending on device used to actually align the pictures correctly.... I can see this annoying users really fast.

I had worked at a company which used an image based two factor authentication system developed ny confident technologies... luckily they also use the same technology to make a captcha based system which is also free... there is no need to align, just click and go each image is randomly encrypted with a different one time use code so it is unbreakable

http://www.confidenttechnologies.com/products/confident-captcha

would be nice to see this added in as on option and if not made into a hook

Archived