KeyCaptcha and reCaptcha: Can they work together?

Rheddy

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just reload the image.

:smile: how many times? That was the last in a string of.... um.... what? that prompted the screenshot.

There were several before that one that were math equations I could solve, but not type on a standard keyboard.

reCaptcha is pretty bad about that, going to switch my own site off tbh, registering/resetting my password on your site is miles easier by comparison.

My only hiccup in regards to KeyCaptcha is one of accessibility, reCaptcha has a sound fallback for the blind/hard of sight, not seeing how KeyCaptcha handles that.

Hate to say it but if you don't have more than one anti-spam method, then you're an idiot. I'm sorry everyone but relying on any single anti-spam method isn't very smart. I use multiple methods to prevent spam registrations and it's my opinion that when you rely on any single method then you deserve to be impacted by spammers.

I use multiple methods because you never know which methods the spammers can bypass. Not only do I use reCaptcha but I also use the IPS anti-spam service, question and answer, the stop forum spam plugin as well as the user email validation. You can never use too many anti-spam features. The more you use, within reason, the safer your community is from spammers.

As a result of these methods, I have a very high success rate at fighting off spam registrations.

• Management

You need to draw a line between admin inconvenience and user inconvenience. You can't be such a crusader in your pursuit against spam that you deter new users. Personally, if I have to get a calculator, encyclopedia and a magnifying glass out to register on a site - I quickly lose interest. :)

It works, but it is very fiddley as you can imagine. You have to zoom right in so that your finger isn't covering the puzzle piece so much you can't see where you're putting it.

I also don't like how in general you can't see what you're supposed to be making when your editing the puzzle. You simply move the mouse away on the PC but you have to tap out on mobile, which is a pain if you're zoomed in and have to zoom out again or pan to the edge.

- What about those without a mouse? (Keyboard only users)

- If Javascript is disabled, the whole thing dies. reCaptcha handles this easily.

- Probably other accessibility things I've missed.

It's good but not yet thanks.

LIndy, I know. But too often I run into forum administrators who seem to think that only using one method is enough to deter spammers and it really isn't. They may think it's enough, but I have learned, to the detriment of my community, that using only one method creates more problems than it solves. I actually have a very loyal community and they realize that the methods that I take to ensure that spammers don't get through. My community realizes that and they applaud the efforts I take because they're not bothered by such efforts.

The efforts that I have used are not restrictive at all and it has created a buffer zone on my site that has been effective. I have not had a single spammer get through that barrier and it does work. Eventually, a spammer will get through one of the anti-spam measures, but when confronted by multiple blocks, they're not likely to try. I've used this method for a number of years and in those years, only had one spammer get through.

I positively HATE ReCaptcha. The amount of times it shows up for me with Swedish or similar characters or some kind of strange symbol is far too often. I refuse to use it on my boards as all it does is frustrate users who might want to join but give up after too many attempts to refresh it to something legible.

Until KeyCaptcha came along last year, we even went without Captcha at all, relying on Q+A, IPS anti-spam and the StopForumSpam add-on. We had hardly any spam if any. We then decided to add KeyCaptcha because we needed it for guests posting to a contact form.

Q+A and Captcha are only useful against spam bots and won't make any difference to human spammers, only the anti-spam databases will (as long as they're on them).

Mobile users don't have any problems with KeyCAPTCHA.

Once I upgraded to iOS6, it wouldn't work anymore for me on iPad. So I changed to PlayThrough's AreYouAHuman and it works fine. Sorry..!

Hello Eudemon,

Mobile users don't have any problems with KeyCAPTCHA.
Our logs contain millions of correctly solved KeyCAPTCHAs from mobile devices such as iPhone, IPad, Android, BlackBerry, Windows Phone.

Best regards,

KeyCAPTCHA

ip mobile skin on ip 3.4 using keycaptcha does not work on any browser on android 2.3.3 have not tried any 3+ or higher (am rooted, can install anything) yet but the images won't move.

I have not had a single spammer get through that barrier and it does work.

Me either, and I don't torture prospective members with a bunch of hoops to jump through.

One is all you need. If you haven't found one that does the job properly, you gave up looking too soon.

Q+A and Captcha are only useful against spam bots and won't make any difference to human spammers, only the anti-spam databases will (as long as they're on them).

Wrong.

Proxies, VPN's, and free e-mail accounts make those anti-spam databases worthless against human spammers.

Q & A challenge can have the answers scripted, and reCaptcha has been defeated by bots because the solution is stored in the code.

Wrong.

Proxies, VPN's, and free e-mail accounts make those anti-spam databases worthless against human spammers.

I did say "(as long as they're on them)" meaning if the spammers try to register on your forum using the same details that have already been clocked on the databases :smile: If they've not, because they're using proxies etc, then obviously the anti-spam databases won't be effective. Nothing will be effective against human spammers that aren't on any databases, except your Ban finger ;)

That said, I still get very few human spammers, less than a dozen this past year.

Archived