Prevent deletion of attachments where in use

Makoto

So, I've had an eventful day today.

One of my members had a fit today, apparently, and decided to go through and delete all the attachments on his account.

Breaking several threads all over the site, and causing our community to loose some valuable contributions in the process.

Minutes later, he messaged me being all apologetic. But it's not like that matters now. All the content the user posted is gone, and there's no way to recover it.

I don't allow users to hard delete posts, I don't think members should be able to delete attachments linked to posts either. If they want to delete these attachments, they should have to have to attachments removed from the posts directly, or have those posts entirely deleted first.

Otherwise, I'd rather not let members delete attachments past the post edit page. Period. When the users time to edit a post expires, that should be he end of it.

I want to be able to prevent abuse like this from reoccurring in the future.

I know, I considered this myself.

But, when a user has been a member of your community for months, has countless threads with attachments posted all over the site.. you don't need to give them post deletion privileges to be destructive. Nuking all their attachments is almost just as efficient at doing this.

Being that the upload limit on my community is quite generous, it's not really a huge issue, and I'm sure there are others out there in similar situations.

Honestly the entire concept behind "you're out of space, so break the attachments you posted in another thread so you can post something else here" is a fallacy in itself.

I know, I considered this myself.

But, when a user has been a member of your community for months, has countless threads with attachments posted all over the site.. you don't need to give them post deletion privileges to be destructive. Nuking all their attachments is almost just as efficient at doing this.

Being that the upload limit on my community is quite generous, it's not really a huge issue, and I'm sure there are others out there in similar situations.

Honestly the entire concept behind "you're out of space, so break the attachments you posted in another thread so you can post something else here" is a fallacy in itself.

middle ground maybe? allow the user to queue an attachment for approval of deletion(maybe even a nice way of saying 'Hey, I'm full' to admin), but not allow them to trigger the delete outright?
I agree, but am looking at a workable solution for more than just one site's allotment of disk space per user group.... also brain-storming as I've been messing with this one already :tongue: .

middle ground maybe? allow the user to queue an attachment for approval of deletion, but not allow them to trigger the delete outright?

I agree, but am looking at a workable solution for more than just one site's allotment of disk space per user group.

I can agree to this. A queue for deleting attachments, which should display any threads that the attachment is linked to as well, if any.

It might be a little complex, but it's far better than risking something like this happening again.

I'm honestly quite exasperated over this. The fact that I go through so much trouble to prevent destruction and abuse and then a member finding a way around it just to spit in my face and apologize later. It's quite frustrating.

Thinking about it, while my community is still pretty small, we have valuable attachments and I would hate it if a user deleted them. I definitely see where you're coming from especially since you do not allow post deletion and have a time restriction on edits. In my case all the attachments are images and this is why I like the idea of integrating the attachments system into IP.Gallery. :x

I like Marcher's idea.

I can agree to this. A queue for deleting attachments, which should display any threads that the attachment is linked to as well, if any.

It might be a little complex, but it's far better than risking something like this happening again.

I'm honestly quite exasperated over this. The fact that I go through so much trouble to prevent destruction and abuse and then a member finding a way around it just to spit in my face and apologize later. It's quite frustrating.

goes farther than threads, but okay :) working on it.

• 1 month later...

Is not hard to hook in to modify this behaviour.... my question remains(and this is where it stuck me at) what happens when they have used up all allotted space?

I have been forced to nuke attachments here simply for room frankly.

There's a conflict though if you limit member's upload space. How can they make more room for themselves if they cannot delete?

EDIT: Knock it off Marcher. When did you become a professional ninja? :S

I've not set any limits, storage space is cheap, but having old threads destroyed because someone has deleted the attachments unthinkable.

This should at least be a option to toggle on or off.

Archived