Please fix these two issues on IPS website

Freeborne

I am now seeing a big green "Welcome to IPS" box every-time I visit the site, when I'm logged in.

I'm logged in, so I don't need to be reminded about the free demo's, or to log-in with my email address and password to access client-only areas. I find the box annoying and obtrusive, and it lacks a personal feel, because it's not smart enough to tell I'm already logged in.

Also, on the frontpage (IP.Content) I cannot see a link to the "Support Forums" anymore in the drop-down box. I had to use the link in the footer to get here. It's been like that for at least 24 hours so I'm not sure if it's a mistake or intentional.

I believe most customers will agree with me that these two items should be changed.

1. Only display the box to guests, or newly registered members
2. Add a link to the front-page menu for "Support Forums"

I suspect this is related to the recent changes to the community - I believe "lifetime" license holders and those who are secondary contacts on an account are now treat differently in terms of permissions and what you can access.

I'm sure IPS will explain in due course.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

I suspect this is related to the recent changes to the community - I believe "lifetime" license holders and those who are secondary contacts on an account are now treat differently in terms of permissions and what you can access.

I'm sure IPS will explain in due course.

Cheers,

Shaun :D

I hold a "lifetime" license I don't see a green box and in what way are we treated differently

post-202568-0-24542100-1323919577.jpg

That's what every page looks like for me. I guess it's a new bug?

Yes I am an alternate contact. I created a primary 'administrator' account for my website, and then my own personal one, with full access to everything.

To me, this seems the best way to do things when you have multiple people working on a website, or you work on multiple websites, and later on when people leave your team, etc. I do not feel I should have any less permissions/rights then the primary account (which I also hold).

At least the Support Forums link has now been fixed.

• Management

Please understand, alternate contacts are just that. Individuals with the ability to contact / interact with us on behalf of the client -- not as the client. You should login as the primary account holder if you wish to have unrestricted access.

Expired clients are, for all intents and purposes, no longer active clients.

Although I don't necessary agree with that view, I am a current client, and I do not think it's necessary to be continually reminded on every page to login or become a customer (when I've already done both). I am sure this is a bug and hoping IPS will fix the permissions of that welcome box soon.

Although I don't necessary agree with that view, I am a current client, and I do not think it's necessary to be continually reminded on every page to login or become a customer (when I've already done both). I am sure this is a bug and hoping IPS will fix the permissions of that welcome box soon.

Pretty much what Lindy said is that it isn't a bug.

Lindy's explanation was in response to my comment about permissions (in that I said an 'alternate contact' should be able to have as much permission as the primary account holder, like having a co-owner of a website).

His response did not answer why I am seeing this green box on every page when I am a current member (my IPB expires 11 Mar 2012) and I am already logged in.

The fact that tenaki doesn't see this, and that the masses aren't complaining, makes me think it's only affecting 'alternate contacts'. I cannot see any reason why alternate contacts should be treated like they are not logged in and see this box on EVERY page. So I repeat again, I believe this is a bug :P

• Management

Freeborne... you are logged in as your alternate contact. You are not the client in that case, you're just a contact for one. It also appears you've setup an alternate contact infinite loop on your account -- making the primary account an alternate contact of your alternate contact. :) It would be best if you could submit a support request and let us try to work it out for you.

Lindy's explanation was in response to my comment about permissions (in that I said an 'alternate contact' should be able to have as much permission as the primary account holder, like having a co-owner of a website).

An alternate contact is: {noun} a person authorized to fill the position, exercise the duties, etc., of another who is temporarily absent; substitute.
In other words the "Client" gave you the "Member" the privilege to speak in his behalf.

The fact that tenaki doesn't see this, and that the masses aren't complaining, makes me think it's only affecting 'alternate contacts'. I cannot see any reason why alternate contacts should be treated like they are not logged in and see this box on EVERY page. So I repeat again, I believe this is a bug :tongue:

The Client is a current paying customer, there fore the term "Client" The Client has obvious privileges over non paying members as well as the removal of non pertinent adds, warnings or information directed to the non paying member.

The Client also is granted permission to download the current board and board applications where an alternate cannot...

If you are a Client (Paying Customer) as well as an Alternate Contact for another forum board then my best advice would be to login as the Client and you won't have to be bothered by the added information...

Remember one other thing... IPS Grants the Client permission to create an alternate. This is an extra privilege to allow the Client to have somebody speak in their behalf. IPS does not need to or have to do this, this is a privilege that one day they could and can remove.
This is not one of those necessities IPS has to grant.... It is only a means to have an alternate speak for a client where they can't for some reason do it on their own....

I hope this clarifies a few things for you.

Yes, it does explain things a little better, thank you.

I still disagree that IPS should be displaying that box to all members who are not Primary Accounts though. Worst case, just display it on the Forum index, but on EVERY forum page is a bit excessive.

If I have 3 people who manage a website, I do not want them all using the same master account (with full access to billing information, etc) here. Would you? So when they log in with their own account (and are my Alternate Contacts), should these people have to put up with that green box on every page? Can't you see how it looks a little rude? That box should be reserved for guests, or visitors who are not logged in.

IPS can keep it like it is if they wish, I just think it reflects poorly on them.

Archived