Change behavior of Topic Tags field on enter

m3rk0rd

When I create a new topic and start inputing tags in the Topic Tags field (assuming pre-defined tags are not enabled), after typing the last tag, the intuitive thing for me to do is to press the "enter" key to apply the last tag before moving on to the content field. But when I hit enter, not only does it apply the tag, it also attempts to post the topic. That's obviously a problem when I'm not ready to post the topic yet. Usually I haven't even started on the body of the post yet, so I get an error message saying "You must enter a post.". Even when I have already entered text in the body, I often want to add a tag then go back and double-check the content before I submit.

The only way to apply that last tag without simultaneously submitting the post is to use the "comma" button. This seems counter-intuitive to me because a comma generally signifies that another item in a list will follow.

I don't know if its possible or not, but I would like the enter key to function just like the comma button when in the Topic Tags field.

• 2 weeks later...

Czorny, try in a different browser. I'm using Firefox 8.0.1

It works fine for me too, however, there is one thing that i don't understand. After typing in the list of tags, i click on any tag and it selects it and it goes grey (i'm using default theme with IPB 3.2.3), so what is the meaning of it? What's the functionality behind being able to select it?I tried to move it by dragging and it doesn't work. It would have been useful if it did, as then i could have re-arranged the order of the tags and set a different tag as the first tag so that i can then select "Use first tag as prefix" to choose which of the tags i entered as the one used as prefix. Does anyone understand the idea here?

I knew it, as it was the only second possibility. But i wanted to suggest that you try with a different browser first. :rofl: We all know that IE is a nonsense browser, so i always use FF or Chrome. Although FF is the best one as it doesn't have any display issues with margins, tables, irregularities with scripts, etc.

I knew it, as it was the only second possibility. But i wanted to suggest that you try with a different browser first. :rofl: We all know that IE is a nonsense browser, so i always use FF or Chrome. Although FF is the best one as it doesn't have any display issues with margins, tables, irregularities with scripts, etc.

I actually looked in the code and no, this won't work, because there's a restriction there to react ONLY on comma in English/US keyboard layout. I've added a keycode for Russian for now, but they gonna fix this in the uncoming release.

Will this be fixed too in the next release?

After typing in the list of tags, i click on any tag and it selects it and it goes grey (i'm using default theme with IPB 3.2.3), so what is the meaning of it? What's the functionality behind being able to select it?I tried to move it by dragging and it doesn't work. It would have been useful if it did, as then i could have re-arranged the order of the tags and set a different tag as the first tag so that i can then select "Use first tag as prefix" to choose which of the tags i entered as the one used as prefix. Does anyone understand the idea here?

Other than the problem described above, there are also more extensive issues associated with the current tag system when adding tags to posts:

1. Suppose a member already added some tags to a post and then selected the option: Use first tag as prefix. This would automatically select the first tag, as expected and display it next to the topic title. However, if the member later wants to change the first tag associated with his topic, how to do that? Currently, the only way to change the first tag is to delete it or delete all the tags and then type in the new tag to be used as first tag. This is too much work. I expect a more professional solution from IPB. For example, clicking and dragging the existing tags in order to re-arrange their order, so that the first tag to be used as prefix automatically changes when the tags dragging is done to rearrange their order. The first tag in position should then automatically assume the blue color (which is the current color assigned to the first tag selected as topic prefix).

2. Also, below the Tags blank box, there is this description: Select a maximum of 10 tags.
However, you should also add this information next to it: Use only comma to separate the tags.
The above line is crucial as my members are not familiar with the use of tags, especially since it is new to IPB, and any new member would struggle with it, as the common standard to separate words (and hence tags) is the use of the space bar on the keyboard. But the space just adds to the tag without separating it. I believe the use of comma is excellent and should stay unchanged, but the information should be displayed about its proper use as it's not something that's obvious to everyone.

3. When selecting the Tag Mode "Closed System" from the ACP, and then defining some tags. The member then gets a list to choose tags from when posting. Suppose the maximum allowed number of tags is 10 (default value), and if the number of tags is less than 10, then there is a bug as this "Add a tag" link still appears in the tags box, even though there are no other tags to add.

4. Enable using more than one tag as topic prefix.

• 2 months later...

Archived