Does invision works with XtraDB ?

OK to answer the OP, yes you should be able to use XtraDB, provided that 2.3 supports InnoDB, which last I checked does. XtraDB is just an optimized/fixed version of InnoDB provided by Percona. MariaDB uses it in place of InnoDB. If your tables are currently MyISAM switching to XtraDB/InnoDB will help because XtraDB/InnoDB uses row level locking wheras MyISAM uses table locking. But as you know InnoDB doesn't support FULLTEXT, so you'll have to use Sphinx. That's where you may have to upgrade though - I'm not sure if 2.3 supports Sphinx. I think support came in version 3 of IPB, but I could be wrong.

If you have a dedicated server and it's swapping to disk adding more RAM will help. If you have too much traffic upgrading your NIC from a 100 mb/s card to a 1000 mb/s card will help you with taking on more network packets. Typically the processor is the last place to look for a bottleneck, especially these days.

Though, I don't measure per min, I should easily reach 1k per min on mine. Load avg on peak is around 12 or so. But then again, I have 24 threads. So, no prob handling it.

It's just running on MySQL with myisam with sessions as memory. Though, I am considering MariaDB at the suggestion of my sysadmin.
I win on best processor in this thread so far... dual X5650s. I do find IPB to be mostly CPU intensive than anything else because my cache size is pretty big.

If you have slow query problems, you have a problem to fix. End of story. Tweaking can only take you so far. I am running latest stable IPB and I try to keep up with it. My slow query count... just checked and it says 79/1billion... So, yeah, update already. >.>

I'd be surprised if IPB didn't work with percona 5.1 actually I did test install yesterday and so far it's working fine (although haven't tested everything) as for mariaDB, they are actually conparable

http://vbtechsupport.com/657/

the link gives comparison of MaraDB, percona and Mysql 5.5. very interesting!. I would also recommend reading the rest of the website. Although it's for vB but hey! you can't complain as we will never have anything similar on IPB in the next thousand years.

To answer this, as was addressed in your Ticket, officially we do not support XtraDB.

May I ask what specifically in IPB conflicts with XtraDB innodb plugin operation ? I would assume if IPB works with MySQL community release 5.0.x/5.1.x/5.5.x InnoDB storage engine, it would work with MariaDB and Percona's InnoDB version (XtraDB). It's been the case for apps my clients and I use i.e. wordpress, drupal, openx, vB etc

I'd be surprised if IPB didn't work with percona 5.1 actually I did test install yesterday and so far it's working fine (although haven't tested everything) as for mariaDB, they are actually conparable

http://vbtechsupport.com/657/

the link gives comparison of MaraDB, percona and Mysql 5.5. very interesting!. I would also recommend reading the rest of the website. Although it's for vB but hey! you can't complain as we will never have anything similar on IPB in the next thousand years.

Thought I'd chime in as I wrote that article and did those benchmarks with vB in mind but the tests aren't vB related at all, they're just sysbench benchmarks so may not reflect real usage exactly, although from my experience switching clients over from MySQL community releases to MariaDB 5.2.x have resulted in much better performance across the board. If I ever get access to 64+ cpu core server again, I want to revisit the comparison benchmarks with more recent versions for MySQL community release vs Percona 5.5.x vs MariaDB 5.2.x

Ha I contacted that guy 3 days ago. He does optimization and all for $550.

Ah so it was you - you're not the only IPB owner who's contacted me over the years, in past I turned down those non-vB jobs but the number of IPB enquiries these past few months has changed my stance so thought I'd pop on by here and get more familiar with what's going on in IPB land :smile:

I take it back! seems like IPB is not that compatible with Percona. Not sure what went wrong though but with CPU at 4000% you don't even wanna think of coming back.

Both MariaDB and Percona have their own set of settings you need to tune for best performance and while that may cause issues with resource usage, you really would need to profile your memory usage on the server to understand where the load is coming from.

May I ask what specifically in IPB conflicts with XtraDB innodb plugin operation ? I would assume if IPB works with MySQL community release 5.0.x/5.1.x/5.5.x InnoDB storage engine, it would work with MariaDB and Percona's InnoDB version (XtraDB). It's been the case for apps my clients and I use i.e. wordpress, drupal, openx, vB etc

I personally don't have any experience using XtraDB, it may work just fine, however I was referencing Invision "Officially Supporting" XtraDB. If your the XtraDB guru, it would be interesting to see what you can come up with. .:)

I personally don't have any experience using XtraDB, it may work just fine, however I was referencing Invision "Officially Supporting" XtraDB. If your the XtraDB guru, it would be interesting to see what you can come up with. . :smile:

Thought that might be the case with official stance :)

So far local testing server configured with Centminmod.com menu auto installer based Nginx 1.1.9 + PHP-FPM 5.3.8 with MyISAM on MariaDB 5.2.10 okay, will try InnoDB/XtraDB for MariaDB which is at XtraDB InnoDB plugin version 1.0.17-13.0

post-205736-0-41304000-1323638741_thumb.

Both MariaDB and Percona have their own set of settings you need to tune for best performance and while that may cause issues with resource usage, you really would need to profile your memory usage on the server to understand where the load is coming from.

I believe it was related to cpanel in general rather than IPB. Anyhoo, since you're here let me exploit your knowledge ;) How would you go about doing that?

I would love to see a benchmark comparing MariaDB 5.2, MariaDB 5.3, MySQL 5.5, MySQL 5.1, and Percona (latest) using InnoDB/XtraDB. The problem with the article mentioned in this topic is it compares MyISAM, which is going to be pretty close anyway. The biggest comparison is going to be InnoDB vs XtraDB (fixed InnoDB) along with optimization differences between MariaDB verses Percona. Would also like to see what Oracle brings to the table with MySQL 5.5. MariaDB 5.3 is supposed to have some major optimizer improvements.

With a large database and/or heavy writes InnoDB is typically used in favor of MyISAM.

This is Percona's benchmark of Percona 5.5 verses MySQL 5.5:

http://www.percona.c...ver/benchmarks/

I really want to see MariaDB in this comparison. According to a consultant from Percona, Percona server is about 52k+ lines of patches against the current version of MySQL whereas MariaDB is 900k+ lines of changes.

Luke the article http://vbtechsupport.com/657/ also compares innodb on subsequent pages (multi-page article)

Only first page was MyISAM :wink:

2nd page = InnoDB http://vbtechsupport.com/657/2/

But the point of my article is highlighting MariaDB's better performance in MyISAM over all other MySQL versions. If you wanted to push it even further, custom compiled Intel optimised RPM for MariaDB 5.2 boosted MyISAM performance even more http://vbtechsupport.com/715/

for Intel optimised MariaDB 5.2. snippet of results

• MyISAM read only: At 12 cpu cores, Intel optimized RPM package with DEADLINE scheduler was 24% faster than official RPM with same scheduler and 8% faster than official RPM’s best result with CFQ scheduler. Intel optimized RPM was also 33-37% faster than Percona 5.5.10-20.1 and 48-79% faster than MySQL 5.5.11.
  • MyISAM read only: At 16 cpu cores, Intel optimized RPM’s lead grows to 40% faster than official RPM and nearly 29% faster than ‘generic’ custom RPM. Intel optimized RPM was also 65% faster than Percona 5.5.10-20.1 and 82% faster than MySQL 5.5.11.
  • MyISAM read only: At 24 cpu cores, Intel optimized RPM was ~44% faster than official RPM with same DEADLINE scheduler and~32% faster than custom RPM’s best with NOOP scheduler.Intel optimized RPM was also 50-57% faster than Percona 5.5.10-20.1and 67-103% faster than MySQL 5.5.11.

MariaDB folks or one of the folks, Chris is looking at optimised versions of MariaDB RPMs for Intel cpus for RHEL/CentOS so keep an eye on https://kb.askmonty....t-based-distros

As to InnoDB performance MariaDB and Percona will be pretty close seeing as they both use XtraDB plugin version of InnoDB. So MariaDB 5.2/5.3 is best of both worlds - better MyISAM performance + as good as Percona's InnoDB performance :D

Ah, a second page! I missed it somehow. I typically glance over the graphs.

Right now I'm evaluating using MariaDB or Percona server (non-IPB related). I'm looking at MariaDB 5.3 specifically, and an quite excited about the prospect of MariaDB 5.5 (to be in beta soon). The Percona consultant we hired couldn't give me any good reason to choose Percona over MariaDB other than Percona is performance patches on MySQL (proven) and MariaDB is a more than just a patch (52k+ lines of patches, vs 900k+ lines of changes). Either way we're looking at using XtraDB.

Yeah i need to figure out how to make it more obvious that there's multiple pages to my blog articles hehe :o

If you're going 100% InnoDB based server, probably Percona 5.5.x would be the one to choose as MariaDB will be just that slight behind in terms of XtraDB plugin versions compared to Percona. IIRC, it's like one minor plugin version behind for MariaDB. So if Percona releases XtraDB fixes for InnoDB, Percona 5.5 will get them before MariaDB would.

If you use MyISAM at all or mix of MyISAM/InnoDB, I'd go MariaDB 5.2/5.3. Personally, I'm pretty much sticking with MariaDB 5.2/5.3 exclusively for now as in most usage and client usage cases they'll be predominantly MyISAM.

With InnoDB, just be prepared for the increased disk and memory requirements - had one vB client with 50+ GB innodb tables excluding MyISAM tables, and only 48GB of memory. Next bump to 64GB memory to cover their bases for growing memory usage requirements!

Our application is mostly write heavy, so the memory requirements should be less than a message board. It will be hosted on a 3 node VMware cluster, each node having 96 GB of memory.

I would be interested in any benchmarks that compare memory usage of reads vs writes on a large XtraDB/InnoDB database.

XtraDB/InnoDB is fine and should work. I setup up all of Curse's new IPB installations using pure InnoDB for all tables.

64,991 online at one time. Typical off peak average 30,000 over 60 minutes. Though, this particular site requires a slave database for load balanced reads.(Drop in distributed MySQLi driver replacement I wrote for IPB.) Once we crossed the 15,000 average we moved to pure InnoDB because of the massive table transaction locking issue with MyISAM. At 30,000 average we felt the heat and had to come up with the distributed solution.

This uses up about 30% of the resources on a 24 core server with 96gbs of RAM.

Archived