Yahoo/Bing

DesignzShop

I'm not a SEO Guru but we have a major difference in how Bing and Yahoo are handling SEO. I do alright from Google. I can take the same exact thread from my forum, plug it into Google and it comes out right on top. Plug the same Topic phrase into Yahoo or Bing and it's no where I can find. These are pretty detailed descriptive thread phrases I typed in and no doubt they should register at the top of Yahoo and Bing from what I found for matches in the top of that search.

Let me give you an example. Here's a thread topic title on my forum

LP Products you own
In Yahoo/Bing that phrase is not even on the radar
In Google I am number one on that search

I would think anyone about could try this if they have a fairly descriptive forum niche. Thoughts?

Regards

Yahoo is nowadays as little obsolete search engine and in near future will be completely replaced by Bing. Generally Bing can handle SEO without problems. However I am not interrested for Bing so much, because 99,5% of my traffic is coming from Google. Bing is still little player.

That's odd bfarber because I have topics that have been indexed by Bing/Yahoo. I have the Bing Crawler on my site often also. That subject is also old enough it should of been indexed. If it's not been indexed then why. I have a hard time believing Bing is at 100 percent fault here when I can time and time again see topics not placing.

Yahoo is nowadays as little obsolete search engine and in near future will be completely replaced by Bing

Right, that's why I wrote Yahoo/Bing for topic title however, Yahoo is still a major player for search and the Bing results they display. Being solely dependent on Google for search results is a major mistake imo. If I could get my results read from Bing/Yahoo it should increase traffic. It really sucks seeing my competitors using VB beating me up in Bing/Yahoo results and what's worse they are beating me most of the time using my own phrasing, let's take another look

Using the phrase

cymbal opinion needed

You'll see the sites pulling results for my exact phrase are all VB sites and I am NO where again yet to be found and also these sites phrasing are not exact to mine

First results. 3 out of the top 4 are VB sites
Need ID/appraisal/opinions for crazy cymbal deal: Zildjian ...
Cymbals blanks : Need your opinion, and your help too!
Stain on a cymbal - opinions needed

And there's even more topics I have I can go on and on over

I've never had good results with Yahoo/Bing in the past.

I just ran this search in Bing, and it's not in the 3 pages of results. Seems Bing simply hasn't indexed the topic in question.

LP Products you own site:centerstagem.com

If you type in exactly how you put that you'll see that topic is indexed through Bing or Yahoo bfarber. That means it is there but behind other phrases that are not exact to "LP Products you own". The exact title should be ahead of other phrases similar but not the same imo. So now I have to wonder why VB sites with non exact phrasing to mine is coming ahead of the exact title that I'm using. Again, I have never used VB, my only experience with them is this issue of my competitors whipping me blind through search results almost at every turn. And NO, I am not switching to VB, ever, nor am I a fan of their software at all. Just to make that clear. :D

Yahoo/bing total results for my site 8790

Google results 57,900

From Bing, I got 4702 results for your entire site. That's like half of what you are seeing.

If you type in exactly how you put that you'll see that topic is indexed through Bing or Yahoo bfarber. That means it is there but behind other phrases that are not exact to "LP Products you own". The exact title should be ahead of other phrases similar but not the same imo. So now I have to wonder why VB sites with non exact phrasing to mine is coming ahead of the exact title that I'm using. Again, I have never used VB, my only experience with them is this issue of my competitors whipping me blind through search results almost at every turn. And NO, I am not switching to VB, ever, nor am I a fan of their software at all. Just to make that clear. :D

No, I did not see the topic we are referencing in the results, but that may be due to the fact that they are serving me much less content than you, apparently.

Honestly, I reallllllllllly don't see how software would play any part in this particular case. As long as the search engines can reach and read the page, then your skin would likely have a much higher impact than what behind the scenes software you use. That said, some skins could cause you a lot of harm (I haven't looked at yours).

It's too bad you can't just email bing and find out why it's not returning your page, right? ;)

It's too bad you can't just email bing and find out why it's not returning your page, right?

Well... That's a mighty fine suggestion Sir :) I'll take that advice if there's a way to contact them for that reason. Probably get some proprietary response but I'll check.

I don't understand the finite points to SEO as I believe it's hard for anyone to really know except for some basics. The other VB sites for example all use different skins. Chances are that is not making the difference here. Also my search engine traffic hasn't changed much from changing skins if at all. I used a custom skin when I first purchased IPB and now use one from another designer. The skin I use is basically a stock skin also, that's why I purchased it.

I look at things for face value however, if I see 3 of 4 sites that use VB using my phrase garbled and still placing ahead of me it is what it is. Looks like duck, squawks like a duck, it must be a duck :D Still love my invision site and wouldn't trade it for the world. I just can't help but wonder what is going on as to why these other sites using a specific brand of software are all over me, I'd like it to be the other way around.

Thanks bfarber for the responses, appreciate it and the work you've done to this software.

• 3 months later...

Bing only has a bit over 6k results for my site, Google has 199k results.

What's disturbing to me is that Google seems to be using people's status update that is listed in a block as the description snippet for the link.....

https://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=site:cheersandgears.com&pbx=1&oq=site:cheersandgears.com&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=1380l7096l0l7241l23l23l0l0l0l1l527l2658l16.3.3.5-1l23l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&fp=743d3d97e8fb2a36&biw=1366&bih=667

Archived