Are there plans to charge for current built in features in the future?

Fast Lane!

I saw several posts today and I thought I would ask; Are there any plans for IPB to remove built in features from the standard suite and later introduce 'improved' versions of that functionality as a premium feature (for a cost)?

Thanks for the feedback.

Are there any plans for IPB to remove built in features from the standard suite and later introduce 'improved' versions of that functionality as a premium feature (for a cost)?

Your guess is just as good as anyone elses.

If it's one thing I've learned over the years, and I've been a licensed user of IPB since 2004 and if there's one thing immutable truth I've learned, when IPS takes a feature out of IPB, it stays out (unless someone creates a special mod or hook for it).%7Boption%7D

They may remove features deemed redundant or no longer relevant, as they've done in 3.2, but I highly doubt they will intentionally remove anything for the purpose of bringing it back as a paid addon. First of all, it would be trivial for someone to re-implement for free using the older source code; second, it makes no business sense; third, there's no precedent.

What major features they have rolled out or deprecated are either being maintained separately [such as the Calendar], or being managed by community developers [such as Tracker, Subscriptions, ?]. All of these are free of charge.

You could argue that Nexus was an instance of this, but its feature set is far above and beyond what Subscriptions ever offered, and that is still available for use anyway.

Archived