Thoughts/Questions on 3.2

.Ian

Hi,

Whilst I am looking forward to 3.2, I have a few concerns/questions the way the product is going.

IP.Subscriptions - Sorry to see this free app go and be replaced by a paid app @ $75 & $70 a year. If all a site wants is subscriptions buying Nexus is an expensive option, even if Nexus is great and offers so much more. We have moved on from Subscriptions, but it is a very useful app for sites just starting out to earn money from their sites and then be able to afford to upgrade to Nexus. Will the ability to show adverts in IP.Board remain as this is also within Nexus?

IP.Portal - a very useful and simple app to go and again being replaced by an app costing

• Management

The Portal and Subscriptions are being removed as the cost to maintain those in addition to IP.Content and IP.Nexus become prohibitive when you consider there is so much overlap. If someone in the community wants to take on maintenance and updates of those then we would certainly be happy to talk to them about it. It's just not something we can continue to justify internally :)

IP.Calendar is only being removed from the IP.Board download as not all people use it so giving people a choice to download reduces the overall size of the IP.Board install. It will still be available with an IP.Board license at no cost. Also, removing IP.Calendar and making it a "top level" application allows us to update it independently of IP.Board itself which means it will be better maintained.

[...]

[...]

Let me clarify something quickly: we aren't 'dropping' it completely now, as mentioned in the topic we will upgrade IP.Subscriptions to work with IP.Board 3.2 (and probably a few maintenance releases). Basically you will still be able to use IP.Subscriptions on 3.2 if you don't need Nexus.

IP.Calendar is only being removed from the IP.Board download as not all people use it so giving people a choice to download reduces the overall size of the IP.Board install. It will still be available with an IP.Board license at no cost. Also, removing IP.Calendar and making it a "top level" application allows us to update it independently of IP.Board itself which means it will be better maintained.

I do hope soooo much that this stays this way. I don't know if I could bear another company that fells to their own greed... greed can be a nasty thing I can tell :(
I'm looking forward to IPB 3.2 and all the new versions of the apps. I'm even planning on buying the gallery and nexus, the two apps that I still miss, but if the yearly costs rise more and more I simply cannot bear it anymore.

I'm a student, I work hard to earn a living, to pay my bills, and I have to learn for exams etc. My next project is being planned on for 2 years now and when I found out about IP.Content and IP.Board and all the great stuff that comes with them I was so sure that this is the way to go.

I hope I haven't turned the wrong way!

(The above also is the reason why I have no active license at the moment.)

We have no intentions (at all) of charging for Calendar. We just want to present it slightly differently, and allow those who don't have a need for it to not have to download it. It will be freely available from your client center so long as you are able to download IP.Board.

This is great and very welcome news and in my opinion, the best way to do this - allow to improve on the separate components individually.

Archived