Struggling with hosting solutions

wgl

I have an IPB forum with chat and calender apps. No portal, no blog, no gallery, and almost no hooks. Just the ip.board. The board has roughly 3,500 members and averages about 60 online users during daytime hours. From about 9pm until 8am, that number drops to almost zero. We don't allow attachments. We have about 300,000 posts and the ipb database size is under 200MB.

Siteground, which responds to every problem by recommending a more powerful server, says we've maxxed out a dedicated server. I say no freaking way. Time to move.

What type of server package should be required to run this community? Can anyone give a recommendation?

I'm eyeing the following Hostgator VPS package at $40/mo:

*CPU 1.13 GHZ
*RAM 768 MB
*Disk Space 30 GB
*Bandwidth 500 GB

Shouldn't that power an ip.board like ours?

Thanks for any advice that can be offered.

Total Posts 115,277
Total Members 42,595
Online At Once Record 485

Running on a VPS with 40 to 50 users online at all times. Have just about everything turned on, ip.tracker, ip.shoutbox, ip.downloads, ip.content et el on a 512mb quad core vps with 20gigs of space $40 a month and it hardly breaks into a sweat and I have other websites on the same server.

If you wish to check out who i'm with, send me a pm, i'm sure if they knew who passed you on they would look kiindly on you.

But your current hosts seem to be money grabbers.

Discussion of hosting with other hosts isn't permitted as far as I know since IPS does hosting.

I'm running a dedicated server Core 2 duo, 3gb memory and have 11,000 members, 200,000 posts and a db about 300mb in size. 100+ regularly on-line at once. Sounds like you just need a bit more memory.

3DKiwi

IPS really needs to allow us to discuss hosting options.

Their hosting option isn't ideal for everyone.

You're welcome to discuss things such as your server specifications and how to better utilise them and/or request suggestions for improvements to your setup. However, we don't allow discussion or promotion of other web hosting companies, there are plenty of sites for such discussion such as web hosting talk. :)

You're welcome to discuss things such as your server specifications and how to better utilise them and/or request suggestions for improvements to your setup. However, we don't allow discussion or promotion of other web hosting companies, there are plenty of sites for such discussion such as web hosting talk. :)

Actually, all I'm asking for is recommended server and specs for my commercially purchased IP forum. There's no agenda here to rob anyone of hosting business. I just want my forum to run like it should. Any guidance you or anyone else associated with Invision can provide in that regard would be greatly appreciated.

As mentioned above, it'd be useful to know what your current specs are.

With all due respect, my current specs are irrelevant to the question. I'm looking for RECOMMENDED specs for the given situation.

Archived