Unhelpful error messages - such as "Array" error for PMs

Clickfinity

It's something I've had an issue with ever since moving to IPB - I find the error system unfriendly - for want of a better word "hard".

For example, a member kept getting a red error when trying to send a PM and the error simply said "Array". That's it - just "Array". It turns out he was trying to send to more than the 5 allowed recipients, but "Array" is just not useful or helpful in telling the end user what the problem is. My members aren't IT geeks and it would be great if an "end user" custom text could be added to error reports so us admins could give them a clue or flower-up/soften the error reports a bit.

I expect my members would much prefer something along the lines of: "There is a problem sending your PM. You may have added more recipients to the list than you are allowed. Please go back and check again. If this problem continues, please post in the support forum or email us."

Not sure if anyone else feels the same but wanted to mention it.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Strangely when I try to replicate the situation here, on the IPS forums, I get a different error message telling me the "extra" users do not exist - that is, the users that are added to the recipient list after the allowed 15.

I can change the names around but the resulting error message is still the same:

The following errors were found
The following users do not exist: Mark,Lindy,Michael,Wolfie

This personal message has not been sent

Different error, but illustrates my point that the error message is not friendly - these users do exist and the actual error is "You are trying to send to more people than you are allowed to."

My own site is still running 3.1.3 so maybe it is a bug.

Cheers,

Showing "Array" is not intended functionality. I can't say if it's a bug, but at least you should submit a support ticket for assistance.

All error messages should be in a human-understandable string. You can debate if that string is clear or not, but "Array" is not something a human can read and understand.

Showing "Array" is not intended functionality. I can't say if it's a bug, but at least you should submit a support ticket for assistance.

All error messages should be in a human-understandable string. You can debate if that string is clear or not, but "Array" is not something a human can read and understand.

I expect you're right - there must be something up for it to just display "array" as that certainly doesn't happen here. I'll see if it still does this after I've updated to 3.1.4 and put a ticket in if it does.

What about the general usefulness of error messages though - as in the example above where it says users don't exist when they clearly do?

Cheers,

• 2 months later...

Archived