The new like's on various IP applications

Tanax

Didn't know where to put this as both gallery and blog has it aswell so I guess IP.Board since it's the central system.

Anyhow. I'd just like to comment on the new like and stuff you're implementing in the next major release.
First off, I LOVE the fact that you now can rep a blog entry and not only the comments. This makes much more sense and kudos to you for fixing that. I know I've been bugging you about it so cheers!

Now to the more serious matters. I "dislike" the "like"-system(you see what I did there? :D) you're implementing.
I think it becomes much too confusing.

Let's review our current systems. We have reputation, negative and positive. We also have "watch", which is kinda like "follow" on twitter. These are great, except they both need an overhaul and new features. Your solution to this was to add "like" which kinda did a little bit of both of those features. They allow the user to express their positivity towards the content aswell as recieve updates. On top of that, you still have reputation aswell as "watch". If I see someone posting a great blogentry, should I "like" it or +rep him? So right now the "like" is kinda redundant since we already have rep. And "like" does 2 things, which is also confusing. IMO you should separate the 2 systems. I don't like having to click "Don't want to recieve updates" every time I "like" something. Likewise, I don't always want to "like" something just because I want to recieve updates.

I propose the following:
- Remove reputation
- Add like
- Don't forget to add dislike
- Remove the recieve updates from the like/dislike -system (so that it's just to click "like" and you're done)
- Work on overhauling the "watch"("follow") -system

That way it creates more consistency and less clutter. It makes it easy to "like" something, just click a button and you're done. If you want to watch someone, you just click watch. It separates the 2 systems which makes it not only easier for the end-user but also for us. It also eliminates the confusion and kinda weird implementation of both reputation aswell as "like" which is kinda useless.

Regarding "like"-ing anonymously, you could have a grace period. When you click "like", your name appears under the content like usual, but ONLY for you, for everyone else they just see that there's 1 anonymous like. There could be a little "info sign" appear next to it, for you, saying "Your 'like' is currently anonymous and will keep that state for 1 minute. If you wish to keep the 'like' in an anonymous state beyond that time, click here.".

Didn't know where to put this as both gallery and blog has it aswell so I guess IP.Board since it's the central system.

Anyhow. I'd just like to comment on the new like and stuff you're implementing in the next major release.

First off, I LOVE the fact that you now can rep a blog entry and not only the comments. This makes much more sense and kudos to you for fixing that. I know I've been bugging you about it so cheers!

Now to the more serious matters. I "dislike" the "like"-system(you see what I did there? :D) you're implementing.

I think it becomes much too confusing.

Let's review our current systems. We have reputation, negative and positive. We also have "watch", which is kinda like "follow" on twitter. These are great, except they both need an overhaul and new features. Your solution to this was to add "like" which kinda did a little bit of both of those features. They allow the user to express their positivity towards the content aswell as recieve updates. On top of that, you still have reputation aswell as "watch". If I see someone posting a great blogentry, should I "like" it or +rep him? So right now the "like" is kinda redundant since we already have rep. And "like" does 2 things, which is also confusing. IMO you should separate the 2 systems. I don't like having to click "Don't want to recieve updates" every time I "like" something. Likewise, I don't always want to "like" something just because I want to recieve updates.

I propose the following:

- Remove reputation

- Add like

- Don't forget to add dislike

- Remove the recieve updates from the like/dislike -system (so that it's just to click "like" and you're done)

- Work on overhauling the "watch"("follow") -system

That way it creates more consistency and less clutter. It makes it easy to "like" something, just click a button and you're done. If you want to watch someone, you just click watch. It separates the 2 systems which makes it not only easier for the end-user but also for us. It also eliminates the confusion and kinda weird implementation of both reputation aswell as "like" which is kinda useless.

Regarding "like"-ing anonymously, you could have a grace period. When you click "like", your name appears under the content like usual, but ONLY for you, for everyone else they just see that there's 1 anonymous like. There could be a little "info sign" appear next to it, for you, saying "Your 'like' is currently anonymous and will keep that state for 1 minute. If you wish to keep the 'like' in an anonymous state beyond that time, click [u]here[/u].".

Quick note - the new like system is not meant to replace reputation. It is meant to replace "watch" and "favorites" type systems. You shouldn't have "watch blog" option once the new like system is fully implemented (when you "like" something you can subscribe at that point).

Quick note - the new like system is not meant to replace reputation. It is meant to replace "watch" and "favorites" type systems. You shouldn't have "watch blog" option once the new like system is fully implemented (when you "like" something you can subscribe at that point).

Then I suggest renaming it. "Like"ing something implies you want to express your liking towards something, which is almost exactly the same as reputation which is there to let the users express their positive feelings(e.g. liking) towards something.

IMO this is all VERY confusing. Liking is, in your implementation, not really that you like something but more the fact that you want to follow the updates on something. At the same time, its interface is layed out(with the displaying of people who like'd) like it's supposed to be a regular "like"-system (e.g. like your reputation-system) when it's in fact not.

Both contradicting and very confusing. IMO you should just call it a watch/follow/favorites -system instead. A like-system sounds like something that would replace the reputation-system.

• Management

We're going to keep reputation but it's going to be more clear in what it does. The whole concept is that you can "rep" a post up or down and then choose to filter out posts under X reps. Currently it's used more to say "I like the content of this post".

The new like system is a way to show publicly you "like" something and to receive updates on items you "like" which is exactly the same as Facebook.

This is all at database level, though. We could easily change the labelling for specific items. We could have "Follow" instead of "Like" for 'watching' forums.

Hmm, alright. Well the rep-part seems to have been given some thought, that's good.
And the like system still feels like it's a replacement for rep, but.. I'll guess I'll just have to see how it turns out when both of the systems(rep + like) are fully updated.

But yes, at the moment "follow" sounds like a much better word to use :)

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to have "Like" + the rep system that's already in, for individual posts. Why? Because giving rep only works for IPB, while liking individual post using facebook will most likely boost your traffic by having your followers clicking your "like link" on facebook. I'd personally would love to have support for facebook and twitter as well as keeping IPBs reputation system. If people just want to like/give rep to a post, and just want it for IPB they could use the rep system, but there might be people that want to share this on social networks as well. I hope this could be considered, or at least made as a mod (if you know about a mod please link me!).

Yes. But you cannot like individual posts and share your like to facebook ;). You can only give individual post reputation. I'm just thinking of posts inside a forum/in a blog/in download comment section section etc. Maybe it's a bit overkill to put "like" for every post ^^ dunno. I just had this weird idea. I see Xenforo got something similar, where people can like posts and their name will be displayed under the post like this: EQnoble, arabic, PoLiZe and 3 others like this.

Would be cool if you could add something similar for the reputation system at least? So that people giving reputation will be displayed under posts.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to be negative, but why does the "like" button have a pop-up with options? Why not simply click it and have your username added to the "likes this" list?

Also, why does the button say "Set favourite"? What has that got to do with "liking" something? Confused? You may be ... :)

I appreciate you like to do things differently at IPS but there's no need to overly complicate this one - like is simple, you like it, that's it, end of - click and be done.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Sorry to be negative, but why does the "like" button have a pop-up with options? Why not simply click it and have your username added to the "likes this" list?

Because it's not just "like"...it's also the ability to "watch".

We have some ideas on how we may be able to clarify this in 3.2, which we'll explore further soon.

Also, why does the button say "Set favourite"? What has that got to do with "liking" something? Confused? You may be ... :)

Originally the feature was going to be for "favoriting" something, and then was changed. Some language strings were missed. We've got bug reports open about this.

Ah, okay - a work in progress :)

Personally I'd love an ACP option to simplify it - maybe "Use for likes only" to act as a single-click like button, with the bells & whistles optional?

I appreciate this might not fit with "the plan" but it's always worth an ask ... lol

Cheers,

Ah, okay - a work in progress :)

I appreciate this might not fit with "the plan" but it's always worth an ask ... lol

Cheers,

How would you allow your users to get notifications of updates in that case? What if I want to be notified of new comments on a blog entry? Or new comments on a file in the marketplace? Or new comments on a Gallery image? If we removed the "watch" part of the system, you wouldn't be able to. :unsure:

Well, fair enough, but it's another multi-click solution to something I think would work better as a single click - you like, you click. As opposed to click, move mouse to select options and click, then move to button, click again.

It's similar to the original IPB topic hover implementation - hover, move across to the right, click - when it should (IMHO) work by just the simple hover action (like it does in the latest version!!!). :)

Everyone loves "features" but this implementation adds a layer of complexity that isn't necessary.

Why not simply have a "like" button / link, and a "watch" link. Each button can display as "unlike" and "unwatch" once clicked, and instead of setting watch options every time you click, just have a default watch status in the user settings and then allow users to modify individually watched items from the watched items section. This way the buttons work on a single click basis.

It just makes it easier for the end-user, without losing the flexibility (because the user *can*, if they want to, make the adjustments via their user settings).

Just a thought ... :)

Cheers,

Archived