Upcoming Relase Version Ad Code

ZakRhyno

[url=" to from this thread

Now from what I see in this post.

"- Advertising coming in 3.1 and we'd need our own rotation scripts. Hmm that is a concern as I'd not have an idea how to write such scripts.

IP.Board basically gives you a text area to insert your ad code into. How do you insert your ads now? I assume it's some sort of javascript code you put into your templates, right? If so, you can do the same thing in the upcoming version of IP.Board. You don't need to write a rotation script - however IPB can't rotate ads for you, either, so what you insert is what is used."

I would think that having a rotating ad would be better for the people do have different ads up at different times and don't have to keep manual adding them all the time. What is IPS stances on this and would be included in the final run? Could users add more then just code but like a simple banner or something and point the clicker to a different website or location as well?
I guess the point I'm making even if IPB is still being open to whatever ad services people want to use is good, what about a more internal one that allows the people to make there own with banners and where they want for them to go. Not just static ones that are offer now from what Bradon AKA Bfarber said.

IPB 3.1 will basically provide a textarea you enter your ad code in. There isn't going to be a built in ad banner rotation system in IPB 3.1.

Why not expand on it to make it more? I mean if you go one way with not trying to limited people ad code why not have a built in one like you doing now that does more then what is current working on?

" I can't see IPS developing an ad manager as it is definately beyond the scope of their product suite. " Oh how so or what makes you say that? :)

They could ad a basic rotator true but then people will want x and y additional functionality and pretty soon people are expecting them to maintain a new product. There are already countless products available to achieve what you are looking for.

http://www.openx.org/

Problem is they why even go with Ad Code? Openx is nice but I like to keep things in host not have to keep going to another site. You understand. ^_^

The addition by IPS for ads is simply a convenience thing so you don't have to make multiple skin edits. OpenX is hosted by you on your server so I don't see why you say you need to go to another site.

It is by no means the only solution either there are hundreds of ad rotators out there.

It always amuses me that people speak for us based on nothing we've said :P

I rather like the idea of ad rotation... :whistle:

Nobody was speaking for you, I wouldn't dream of it, I simply said I couldn't see it happening. If I'm wrong then fair enough but I'd have to say I still feel it's time better spent elsewhere.

Why not expand on it to make it more? I mean if you go one way with not trying to limited people ad code why not have a built in one like you doing now that does more then what is current working on?

Every single thing we "expand" to "make it more" takes time. We only have so many developers and so many hours in a day, and we simply don't have the time budgeted to add a rotational banner ad script to IPB 3.1. Such a feature is more than 10 minutes worth of work, you know? ;) :P

No where have we ever said you'll never see such capabilities, we've simply said you won't see rotating capabilities in IPB 3.1.

I wonder what the built in ad manager system of Vbulletin is like, wouldn't it make sense to shoot for similar or better functionality?

Vbulletin got a little to involved into ad management. I never took advantage of it and kept my old system just because they could monitor and see what ads were placed. The whole deal looked real suspicious from a company that owns a forum software company and provided an ad management solution where you signed up through them. It never seemed to be on the level with members and I still feel something was or is going on in the background.

• 3 months later...

The problem with default features are they tend to "homogenize" the look of the board. There are many elements built in to vB that make it easy to spot any vB board at a glance. No matter how much you customize them, the built in features give them away.

When I first set up my vB4 board, I was kinda liking the ease of inserting ads.But every freekin vB board had the same ad layout, depending on the settings vB included in the ACP. Many people go overboard and totally clutter their board. But the end result of too many default features being included is that all the vB boards look like vB boards.

It is a fine art deciding which features should be core features and which should be second party. Whether a product is full featured or just bloatware is a fine line and often subjective.

I think the vB4 experience has taught me how quick a once fine product can turn into a bloated caricature of itself............

I would be happy with an after market rotating banner system that plugged in.

I am searching for one of those now.

I use and recommend Ad Manager Pro. Just a matter of pasting in one line of code into IPB to integrate. This is a modestly priced package that's fully featured e.g. stats for your customers on views and clicks.

3DKiwi

Archived