IP.Chat help!

Smokey-Rev

If you have customized any skin_chat bit, then you'll need to revert the changes as there is no way for IPB to update a customized skin bit :)

happened to me but now I've reverted my changes and everything is back online (apart from very tiny "glitches")...my members seem happy :cool:

[quote name='Colonel Wolfie' date='04 December 2009 - 04:47 PM' timestamp='1259945224' post='1884898']
what did you change to get it to work :P

as I said, revert all skin_chat changes :)

EDIT: also, Brandon increased the timeout period yesterday

[quote name='Enkidu' date='04 December 2009 - 10:50 AM' timestamp='1259945416' post='1884901']
as I said, revert all skin_chat changes :)

I made no changes whatsoever to the skin_chat bits. I just went in and verified there are no rid icons next to any of the bits. The skin looked fine with the first Beta, but broke when I upgraded to Beta 3 yesterday. I am sad.

..Al

I'll say it again....

We're working on the CJOIN-0 error. I've been working with a couple of customers to log the error and why it's occuring, I've got some data to go on, and we will be working on it.

Obviously you don't get it here. This is just one of a million things that happens when you release a beta to a wider audience. Different configurations and so forth cause things that you don't necessarily see in a controlled environment.

As for the broken template, really don't know what to tell you. The only other possibility is that you don't have the new CSS definitions. If you had customized the chat CSS file, you need to revert that, and reapply your customizations to it again. We are running the exact same release you'll find in your client area. There is absolutely nothing different or customized to the codebase we have installed here.

[quote name='texterted' date='04 December 2009 - 11:45 AM' timestamp='1259948708' post='1884938']
Nice idea send me a sticker please!

I'm still chuffed to bits that IPS are giving us something so cool, as a free add-on... I can't imagine the other forum software company giving anything away, can anyone else?

Well, to be fair, I'm pretty sure they are going to be charging for it unless you want to be limited to a small number of users in the chat. :)

..Al

Atari, I'm not sure that anyone would want more than just 10 users at a time. I know I used to run into problems with my webhost because of extreme server load spikes until they stopped happening, when I was using MKPortal, until I stopped using that.. With IP.Chat, if you have more than 10 users, your CPU use is going to go straight out of the window unless you have a dedicated server. The majority of us are limited to shared hosting or reseller accounts with are limited to the type of resources we can use.

I plan on using it, but at the basic level.

[quote name='Colonel Wolfie' date='04 December 2009 - 12:20 PM' timestamp='1259950845' post='1884950']
Atari, I'm not sure that anyone would want more than just 10 users at a time. I know I used to run into problems with my webhost because of extreme server load spikes until they stopped happening, when I was using MKPortal, until I stopped using that.. With IP.Chat, if you have more than 10 users, your CPU use is going to go straight out of the window unless you have a dedicated server. The majority of us are limited to shared hosting or reseller accounts with are limited to the type of resources we can use.

I plan on using it, but at the basic level.

First, ten users is not very many, especially for scheduled chats that take place at a certain date and time. I routinely have hundreds of users on my forum, and there are many busy forums that will certainly want more than 10 users to be able to use the chat at any given time. Second, because Invision is hosting the chat server backend, this will greatly cut down on your server load, allowing you to host much larger chats than you might ordinarily be able to on a shared server environment. Once the chat page has loaded, the Invision servers will be managing the chat traffic, not your server. And third, you might be surprised at the number of large forums out there running on dedicated servers.

..Al

If that's the case, I might eventually buy an updated package. But, I'm going to need to gauge just how much demand there would be before I can make a determination. Currently, at least, until IPS releases the next version of the Beta, that's a determination I can't normally make.

I'm curious if IP.Chat is going to be easy enough to customize. I noticed that the chatbox for IPS' IP.Chat has been customized with a smaller "textbox" as well as tabled version that organizes the users name as well as the message he or she types. I'm hoping that these kind of customizations will be available to all license owners.

[quote name='Colonel Wolfie' date='04 December 2009 - 02:01 PM' timestamp='1259953291' post='1884959']
If that's the case, I might eventually buy an updated package. But, I'm going to need to gauge just how much demand there would be before I can make a determination. Currently, at least, until IPS releases the next version of the Beta, that's a determination I can't normally make.

I'm curious if IP.Chat is going to be easy enough to customize. I noticed that the chatbox for IPS' IP.Chat has been customized with a smaller "textbox" as well as tabled version that organizes the users name as well as the message he or she types. I'm hoping that these kind of customizations will be available to all license owners.

The installation here is exactly the same as the one available in the client area. We have not customized the CSS or skin here for IP.Chat at all.

What you see here should be what you see on your own forums (provided you have not customized the template, are using the default skin, etc.)

Well, I installed it exactly as it should have been, but. it still has the same old dreary monstrous text post box, like everyone else has reported. Even thorugh clearing the browser cache. While waiting on the next beta, I can assure you that the installation I did does not look anywhere like the one installed on here.

[quote name='Colonel Wolfie' date='04 December 2009 - 07:59 PM' timestamp='1259956784' post='1884985']
Well, I installed it exactly as it should have been, but. it still has the same old dreary monstrous text post box, like everyone else has reported. Even thorugh clearing the browser cache. While waiting on the next beta, I can assure you that the installation I did does not look anywhere like the one installed on here.

can you post a link to your website?

Archived