Moderation, where IPB is lacking..

Gabriel Petrelli

One of the things I like about VB, is that if a member or staff deletes or edits a thread/post, a copy or history of the thread/post is archived. This "soft" delete allows the history of the thread or post to be reviewed by staff for anything incriminating. It can then be decided to restore the original thread/post or hard delete the thread/post. Each time a member deletes or edits a thread/post, it keeps a history of each before the edit to review or restore the original content. Deleted posts are never truly deleted, only soft deleted so they can be restored later if needed. Staff can choose whether to hard delete a thread/post.

I hope I have explained this clear enough, the moderation/administration aspect is where IPB is lacking compared to Vbulletin, I would just like to have more control over the content and moderation of the forum.

Members have a habit of editing their posts and deleting content, if they go on a fit of rage, say something rude, or post something against the rules. I would like to review these edited and deleted threads/posts with the option of restoring the original content or hard deleting the thread/post.

• Management

You can "unapprove" posts or topics to make them invisible to members. In this case only moderators can see them.

You can also enable the Trash Can feature which will catch deleted topics and posts and move them to the Trash Can. This allows them to be restored or kept as a record.

This is a feature of VB, and it doesn't seem to have any problems with it. I know I could unapprove posts or use the trash can, but that isn't what I want or was referring to or else I wouldn't of mentioned this..

When a member deletes/edits a thread/post I want a copy of the original post content stored, in other words when a member or staff deletes a post it's a soft delete. The edit history/revisions and soft delete of posts and threads allowed deleted or edited post content to be reviewed. Then the administrator or other staff can decide to restore the original post content or hard delete it permanently.

[quote name='Charles' date='04 November 2009 - 01:34 PM' timestamp='1257359658' post='1875565']
You can "unapprove" posts or topics to make them invisible to members. In this case only moderators can see them.

You can also enable the Trash Can feature which will catch deleted topics and posts and move them to the Trash Can. This allows them to be restored or kept as a record.

This does not cut it, the whole ability to "soft" delete things and them staying in the forum is a HUGE thing. An unapproved post does not work for me as what happens if you are also approving posts? Your just putting posts back into the cue. This cancels the whole point of moderation. The trash is a semi good idea and being able to move a post to a forum you can not see is a great thing but as an administrator I have no clue where this post comes from.

[quote name='Gabriel Petrelli' date='04 November 2009 - 08:07 PM' timestamp='1257365241' post='1875603']
This is a feature of VB, and it doesn't seem to have any problems with it. I know I could unapprove posts or use the trash can, but that isn't what I want or was referring to or else I wouldn't of mentioned this..

When a member deletes/edits a thread/post I want a copy of the original post content stored, in other words when a member or staff deletes a post it's a soft delete. The edit history/revisions and soft delete of posts and threads allowed deleted or edited post content to be reviewed. Then the administrator or other staff can decide to restore the original post content or hard delete it permanently.

I know exactly where you are coming from. Similar concept and replies to a thread I created http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/296974-trashcan/

A soft delete option/edit history would be handy yes. Thats one of the few features that vB has however IPB lacks. Its true that IPB has an approve/unapproved option however this marks the topic as "Moderation Queue" and I don't wish to have that for a deleted topic. I just wish to hide it for regular users without having it in the Moderation Queue.

• 3 weeks later...

vB's soft-delete feature is quite useful actually. If when deleting a thread, the post/thread goes to the trash as usual, but, leaving a link in the original thread/forum for moderators and optionally members to see, include an undelete button to automatically restore the post/thread back to the source thread/forum, and you have your soft-delete. The main difference being, you can allow regular members to see that a thread was deleted, and the reason given, but not allow them to see the contents of the deleted thread. It also gives staff a fast reference to see why a staffer removed a given thread and if necessary, undelete it or optionally hard-delete it.

As for the edit-history, this would be more useful to have, than a soft-delete. But the rationale is probably.. most members don't have the permission to edit posts older than X minutes, so, it doesnt matter. Still on one of my sites, members do have this ability and it can't be set on a per-forum basis like I would want, since IPB doesnt support yet another vB feature that's sorely needed... per-forum usergroup overrides. With an edit-history, there's accountability.. suppose a member posts a bunch of faeces about another.. then goes back and edits it when the other member retaliates.. with IPB as it is.. it's not easy to see what the instigator posted if he/she removes the incriminating post.. and it makes it look like the other started it.

If I could add these features with a handy modification I would.

• 1 year later...

[quote name='Gabriel Petrelli' timestamp='1257359489' post='1875564']
One of the things I like about VB, is that if a member or staff deletes or edits a thread/post, a copy or history of the thread/post is archived. This "soft" delete allows the history of the thread or post to be reviewed by staff for anything incriminating. It can then be decided to restore the original thread/post or hard delete the thread/post. Each time a member deletes or edits a thread/post, it keeps a history of each before the edit to review or restore the original content. Deleted posts are never truly deleted, only soft deleted so they can be restored later if needed. Staff can choose whether to hard delete a thread/post.

I hope I have explained this clear enough, the moderation/administration aspect is where IPB is lacking compared to Vbulletin, I would just like to have more control over the content and moderation of the forum.

Members have a habit of editing their posts and deleting content, if they go on a fit of rage, say something rude, or post something against the rules. I would like to review these edited and deleted threads/posts with the option of restoring the original content or hard deleting the thread/post.

Need the post edit history, definitely. This is a very useful moderation feature.

vB's got it nailed (full post edit history including post comparison, etc.), EXCEPT for the fact that the post edit history is not available or updated when an "edited by" notice is not displayed or updated.

Please implement a full-fledged post edit history feature asap.

The edit history is something I honestly think IPB should definitely add, its an outstanding feature.
However regarding the rest of things you mention they can already be perform with the tools at hand, you just gotta look around a bit.

[quote name='Con' timestamp='1314019481' post='2158279']

Need the post edit history, definitely. This is a very useful moderation feature.

vB's got it nailed (full post edit history including post comparison, etc.), EXCEPT for the fact that the post edit history is not available or updated when an "edited by" notice is not displayed or updated.

Please implement a full-fledged post edit history feature asap.

There's a petition of sorts happening on this thread for post revision tracking. Please reply to it, Con, to show IPS how many people want it to happen!

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='XiuzSu' timestamp='1314021418' post='2158296']
The edit history is something I honestly think IPB should definitely add, its an outstanding feature.
However regarding the rest of things you mention they can already be perform with the tools at hand, you just gotta look around a bit.

You do realize this topic is from 2009, right? That's why some of the features they asked for here have been implemented.

Archived