Images as attachments - resizing

Ditchmonkey

Vbulletin will resize image attachments to maximum dimensions specified in the admin. Whether attachments are displayed as thumbnails or full sized is also configurable. Of all the issues I had related to user dissatisfaction with the switch from VB to IPB, the biggest was related to these lack of options for image attachments in IPB. I am currently looking at moving a clients site to IPB but I don't think he's going to go for it without these options.

I think you will hear a lot of this from all our new Vbulletin refugees.

I'm not really following either. You define the size of the thumbs then if a member wants to see a larger version they click on it. If you're asking for an intermediate size image after clicking the thumb then that wouldn't appeal to me.

What is lacking with forum attachments for images is maximum dimensions and maximum file size. I run a Computer Graphics site that supports a particular 3D graphics program. Members upload images and scene file as attachments. We need to set the maximum upload size fairly high at 2mb to accommodate the scene files. You then get the idiots uploading a 1 mb jpg image at 1920x1040 res from time to time. So for me I would like to be able to set max file size for each permitted file attachment and if it's an image then also have maximum resolutions.

Nigel / 3DKiwi

Regarding the maximum size that the thumbnails will expand to... I'm often puzzled why people want this as an admin option. Every user has different specifications of monitor - some have big screens, others have smaller screens. To me it seems to make most sense to resize it to the largest that users monitor can hold, rather than let the admin choose. It's something we can look into for a future update.

[quote name='Rikki' date='18 October 2009 - 07:36 PM' timestamp='1255923392' post='1868656']
Regarding the maximum size that the thumbnails will expand to... I'm often puzzled why people want this as an admin option. Every user has different specifications of monitor - some have big screens, others have smaller screens. To me it seems to make most sense to resize it to the largest that users monitor can hold, rather than let the admin choose. It's something we can look into for a future update.

I can give you several reasons:

1. Many site users have fixed width sites and they would like ALL content to fit within the dimensions of the site.
2. Regardless of how big a users monitor is, users will always come up with images SO LARGE that they won't fit in any monitor
3. Regardless on your opinion on the issue, vbulletin provides this functionality so unless you want to hear about it regularly from here until the end of time, you'll need to address the issue.

And as I stated before, my #1 biggest complaint from my users after migrating from Vbulletin is the lack of options in photo attachment handling. And this is just one site in hundreds or thousands of sites that could end up moving to IPB. Why would you not add the settings many of your customers need? Seems pretty simple to me.

Agreed and third.

Seems a few of us want it. Plus if VB has it then all these VB converts are going to expect it. It seems strange to me then that the IPB gallery has these options for images but yet there's only a handful of options for images in the forum.

I want to stop my members posting excessively sized in both resolution and file size images in my forums. This will save both me and my moderators time by not having to moderate the images that are way over the top in size. At the same time I want them to be able to upload an animation file and not be bound by the same restrictions as those that apply to still images.

3DKiwi

[quote name='Ditchmonkey' date='19 October 2009 - 04:08 AM' timestamp='1255925313' post='1868659']
I can give you several reasons:

1. Many site users have fixed width sites and they would like ALL content to fit within the dimensions of the site.
2. Regardless of how big a users monitor is, users will always come up with images SO LARGE that they won't fit in any monitor
3. Regardless on your opinion on the issue, vbulletin provides this functionality so unless you want to hear about it regularly from here until the end of time, you'll need to address the issue.

And as I stated before, my #1 biggest complaint from my users after migrating from Vbulletin is the lack of options in photo attachment handling. And this is just one site in hundreds or thousands of sites that could end up moving to IPB. Why would you not add the settings many of your customers need? Seems pretty simple to me.

very valid points and put in the way that the "monkey" has, I have to agree

[quote name='ikillbill' date='19 October 2009 - 04:19 AM' timestamp='1255940362' post='1868693']
agreed and second

don't assume every member is PC-regular users

many of our members are simply wanting

*upload images

*type in text

*click "post"

same as ALL major blog providers are doing such as blogspot, blogger..etc

I can't see how this is relevant to the conversation. You already can upload images, type in text, click "post". The suggestion in this topic has to do with administrator controls over the dimensions of the image.

@Rikki, they're not talking about the javascript resize, they're talking about the actual uploaded attachments resize.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='bfarber' date='19 October 2009 - 02:47 PM' timestamp='1255960065' post='1868750']
I can't see how this is relevant to the conversation. You already can upload images, type in text, click "post". The suggestion in this topic has to do with administrator controls over the dimensions of the image.

@Rikki, they're not talking about the javascript resize, they're talking about the actual uploaded attachments resize.

hmm...

and you dont want to use the builtin functionality?

edit: sry, just saw you want a "hard resize"...

Agreed. Definitley a must have feature on future releases. I think vBulletin defaults to 800x600 as the max size an image can be and that's just a VERY sound starting point in that we can adjust from there up or down depending on our expected user usage.

This is needed because people are clueless when it comes to downsizing their images. They'll easily upload a 2, 3 or even 6mb image and not bat an eyebrow! LOL!

Maybe include some of this in the up and coming gallery which is looking real good I may add..

Thumbs up on this suggestion :thumbsup:

This functionality is already included in Gallery (and has been for years). :) You can specify max/medium/thumbnail dimensions independently in Gallery.

The attachment manager in IPB is a different function, and can NOT restrict images based on dimensions at this time.

So what you're saying is a feature that allows you to size the original image to a max size? I would agree, and the default should be 800 x 600. Almost every image I click on this forum goes over my monitor size, and I'm at the highest my monitor can reach. That may be, however, the limitation of the lightbox and it not auto-sizing to the dimensions of my screen like some of the other lightboxes I've seen does.

Archived