remote images and using [img] tags in IPB 3.0.4

bearback

noticed this forum has been upgraded to IPB 3.0.4 but appears no change in the posting of remote images, unless of cause there are changes in the ACP that i can not see.
i was led to believe that this problem would be looked at by the developers and improved in some way.
The way posting of images in IPB 2.3.6 was not perfect but was better than V3, theres no adjustment in V3 and images fill the whole message box and images are just to large.

Has this being looked at in IPB 3.0.4 ?

Thank you

yes i understand what you are saying but may be you can understand my frustration with this small part of the new V3.
I have used IPB for several years now but due to these changes i cannot upgrade to V3.
My forums contain a lot of remote images, some posts and replies have 3-4 images or more, these where fine with v2 as they resized to a small size
and 4 images would comfortable fit in the post area and took up little room once resized.
Converting to V3 with its new image setup makes the images fill an entire post area, when you have just one topic with just 4 images they take up to much space.
Converted topics that contain a lot of images are now full of huge full post size images and to view these threads requires endless scrolling
because it makes the topic length so long due to the size of the images.
Basically the one post that contained 4 images is now 4 times longer in length in the new V3 , if you can see what i am trying to explain.

Thank you for your reply.

I'd like to see IPB grab the remote image and make a thumbnail for it and then only show the thumbnail on the page with the lightbox showing the full image (if the thumbnail is clicked). The thumbnail dimensions could be bigger than the thumbs for attachments (maybe have the dimensions as a setting) so that most people wouldn't bother to click to get the full image or it could look like a V2 resized image.

This would solve the above problem (I think) and would also make the pages with remote images load faster since you aren't grabbing the remote images when showing the page (only when the user clicks on a thumb).

IF I read right, do yo umean that there is no auto-resizing for remote images on V3? if so, we are not able to upgrade either....

There is but not in the way V2 resized the images.

The image resizes to the size of the postbox, there are no options to reduce the image size further.
The image resize percent option that is in V3 has been deprecated, The option just hasn't been removed.

bfarber could probebly explain better than my self.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes i was right no improvement in the resize function, exactly the same again.
said it all before i know but......
the resize function in v2.3.6 worked perfectly well but the developers changed the function with out any thought for customers who have in place active forums and have used there system for many years.
I cannot just change thousands of posted images i have in my forum to allow for this change in the resize function, it would take for ever.
I am all for improvements and moving with the development of IPB and would not have minded if the function change would have been an improvement but as it is now, there is no control over remote images posted. I cannot have images filling the whole of the message post area, they just take up to much room.

I am sure you are all very busy fixing the "Bugs" in the new IPB 3 but please take another look at the posting of remote images function or at least give some control over the size of the image.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

This is nasty to say the least. We have a GFX Forum, go figure. Anyway, just a little input from my side .... one of the massive pics posted in our forumhas been resized to 99%, not that it helps but if it does that, there must be some form of resizing going on, no?

V3.0.5 = ACP > System > System Settings > Forums(tab on that page)> Topics, Post and Polls > Automatic Resize Image Force Size
By default, when automatic linked image resizing is on, it is resized to fit the width of the screen. If you'd like to enforce a PX width/height, enter it here. If you enter 600, then an image larger in width or height is scaled down.

• 2 years later...

Archived