Documentation?

Ballet

[quote name='Andy D' date='09 July 2009 - 03:15 AM' timestamp='1247080554' post='1822701']
Documentation hasn't been released yet and is still being worked on from the last I read. You may find the resources website useful until then or ask in the Peer-to-Peer Technical Support forum :D

Thank you Andy.
I am considering to renew the support so that I can access the resources website.

Btw, what is peer-to-peer tech. support?
Is that mean active customers supporting active customers?

[quote name='Rikki' date='09 July 2009 - 03:17 AM' timestamp='1247080665' post='1822702']
The bulk of the IPB3 documentation is now delivered inline in the ACP - click the 'Get Help With This Page' button on any page to load it :) We'll be adding to what's available over time.

Ya. This is a very nice feature of IPB3.
It is using AJAX right? Very cool.

The bad thing is sometimes when I need help, it shows me no help is available...
I think this will be improved in future releases.

[quote name='Ballet' date='08 July 2009 - 08:25 PM' timestamp='1247081127' post='1822710']
Thank you Andy.
I am considering to renew the support so that I can access the resources website.

Btw, what is peer-to-peer tech. support?
Is that mean active customers supporting active customers?

No problem Ballet and as Rikki reminded me documentation is in the Admin CP :)

Yes the peer-to-peer tech. support is active customers supporting active customers :D

the ACP Online Help it's to bad! Almost all the time it's 'no help is available'

I wanna a detailed documentation, like how hooks works, how make skin, and BBCode using php.
I know that I can find this information on forum, but I lost so many time searching the information on differents topics.

[quote name='tobe81cwb' date='08 July 2009 - 11:20 PM' timestamp='1247091621' post='1822861']
I wanna a detailed documentation, like how hooks works, how make skin, and BBCode using php.

The Admin CP help as far as I know is more about the setting of IPB :D

• 2 weeks later...

What I would like to see is developer documentation for the total beginner tongue.gif

Looking at the Developer Articles, in particularly Creating your own hooks and IP.Board 3 Plugins and Hooks in the IPS Company Blog, a lot just went right over my head whistle.png

I know about modifying files and skin templates and stuff wink.gif I just want to understand how to do this with hooks thumbsup.png

Can anything be changed with a hook or is there a limitation to what can be done?

It just looks a lot harder to use hooks then modifying files and skin templates, although from my understanding it is suppose to be easier?

[quote name='Andy D' date='23 July 2009 - 08:20 AM' timestamp='1248351656' post='1831498']
Can anything be changed with a hook or is there a limitation to what can be done?

It just looks a lot harder to use hooks then modifying files and skin templates, although from my understanding it is suppose to be easier?

There are limitations, namely you can only hook into the software at places it monitors the hooks at.

It's not necessarily *easier* to use hooks for the developer. It is for the user, however, which is the main goal. Hooks are retained during upgrades, and don't require the person installing to do code-level modifications to make use of a hook.

hmmm before we were promised full documentation for ipb forum and acp, and developer docs in pdf format. have they now been nuked? and wheres the php documentator page we were also promised... i do think the whole documentation part of ipb is lacking, it has become a complex application now. i do try to create artices in resources as i learn stuff but alot of things still needed. Maybe do a push by the ips staff (e.g. everyone has to do one everyday).

[quote name='bfarber' date='23 July 2009 - 02:09 PM' timestamp='1248354564' post='1831563']
There are limitations, namely you can only hook into the software at places it monitors the hooks at.

It's not necessarily *easier* to use hooks for the developer. It is for the user, however, which is the main goal. Hooks are retained during upgrades, and don't require the person installing to do code-level modifications to make use of a hook.

Yes I understand that it's easier for the user which is the main thing :D

[quote name='Jaggi' date='23 July 2009 - 09:26 AM' timestamp='1248355573' post='1831577']
hmmm before we were promised full documentation for ipb forum and acp, and developer docs in pdf format. have they now been nuked? and wheres the php documentator page we were also promised... i do think the whole documentation part of ipb is lacking, it has become a complex application now. i do try to create artices in resources as i learn stuff but alot of things still needed. Maybe do a push by the ips staff (e.g. everyone has to do one everyday).

Well, I could spend a day trying to get phpdocumentor working (I have before, unsuccessfully) or I could fix bugs and address support tickets. :)

Developer documentation, unfortunately, has to wait until we have the time to address it.

Edit - that said, there's nothing stopping YOU from running phpdocumentor on the files of course. ;)

[quote name='bfarber' date='23 July 2009 - 06:28 PM' timestamp='1248370097' post='1831784']
Well, I could spend a day trying to get phpdocumentor working (I have before, unsuccessfully) or I could fix bugs and address support tickets. :)

Developer documentation, unfortunately, has to wait until we have the time to address it.

Edit - that said, there's nothing stopping YOU from running phpdocumentor on the files of course. ;)

yea i could but i just can't let anyone else see it (as i'm sure if someone could be arsed they could use it to download all the ipb source and basically steal ipb) :P. tell me problems with phpdocumentor i might be able to help you out...

I got some php error thrown from phpdocumentor last time I ran it (of course I also had to give PHP like 3GB memory to work with to get that far).

I'll run it again one of these days and see.

And, as far as sharing, just don't include the source code in the output. I plan on putting it up publicly on the resource site once it's generated.

you get rikki to skin it for me (cus it looks so horribly, terribly, digustingly rubbish by default) and i'll have a go at it later. Also every looked into doxygen, does mostly the same thing but you can search with it too and its binary so alot quicker than phpdocumentor.

Archived