Upgrade Issue

Guest Lee Craven

Language abstraction was done in this release, and a lot of work was done on the language manager to fix miscellaneous bugs. We also found some issues with upgrading inserting languages and apparently must have missed one (for the record, local installs and upgrades from before the release were fine, so this is gonna be a fun one to track down).

Brandon, I upgraded a B3 test site to B4. The B3 had a custom skin on it that i want to apply to my new site,
I'm working on. So I exported the skin with parent. When imported the skin set, the missing language bit was added. One bug, the image set would not import. I just copied the skinning board images to the new site and all was well.

Language abstraction was done in this release, and a lot of work was done on the language manager to fix miscellaneous bugs. We also found some issues with upgrading inserting languages and apparently must have missed one (for the record, local installs and upgrades from before the release were fine, so this is gonna be a fun one to track down).

Hey I firstly want to let everyone know, my reply was not a smart a$$ comment or a criticizing anyone one for that fact, I have no idea about coding, it was a genuine question. Secondly I support you guys fully, it was an honest question for me, my curiosity comes across sometimes as an ignorant question :P . Thank you for clearing it up for me bfarber, I appreciate the explanation which in return helps me more so understand and I'm sure, hundreds of others too.

Thanks again, I see the bug is already was already reported with regards to the first reply from malefickus and this topic can be closed or erased as needed.

Its not a buttload of bugs whoever said that. Once they *hopefully* refresh the Beta 4 download with the language abstraction working, then that build is very unbuggy.

Maybe next time before its released to public, someone downloads it from client center and tests that way?

Brandon, I upgraded a B3 test site to B4. The B3 had a custom skin on it that i want to apply to my new site,

I'm working on. So I exported the skin with parent. When imported the skin set, the missing language bit was added. One bug, the image set would not import. I just copied the skinning board images to the new site and all was well.

I'm having a hard time following, but the skin system was very buggy in Beta 3 and I wouldn't expect any skins from Beta 3 to fully work or import in Beta 4. The missing language bit wouldn't have been added from your old skin - the beta 3 skin simply wasn't language abstracted is all (so it didn't use any of the missing language bits).

If you can reproduce an image set not importing, please report it to bug tracker. Export it from beta 4 and try to import it on another beta 4 and note any errors or what happens.

I hate to say this, but there are an AWFUL amount of bugs for a 4th beta.

Its not a buttload of bugs whoever said that. Once they *hopefully* refresh the Beta 4 download with the language abstraction working, then that build is very unbuggy.

Maybe next time before its released to public, someone downloads it from client center and tests that way?

iBotPeaches is right. Thus far, this release has NOT had a lot of bugs reported - only one *big* issue (and by big, we're talking about text strings missing from a language file, hardly a big issue programatically - we're not talking about infinite loops in the bbcode library or anything like that which would be a nightmare to sort).

Import these XML files into your ACP on the Look & Feel tab -> Languages, and you should be fine. These are just the core app language files (core, members, forums) so you might be missing some in the addon apps for now, but this should at least get you working. ;)

public_core_language_pack.xml

admin_core_language_pack.xml

public_forums_language_pack.xml

admin_forums_language_pack.xml

public_members_language_pack.xml

admin_members_language_pack.xml

Didn't work for me at all, appears the files are trying to be rewritten into a directory that does not exist as evidenced by the "0" in the string (which my directory is a "1")? cache/lang_cache/0/core_admin_global.php

This was tried uploading the xml files into the "admin" directory and importing from there. Also getting errors at the top of the page in the acp at the same time

EDIT: All is well and now working fine, I had downloaded the files incorrectly and corrupted them.

This fixed MOST of the missing items.

In the Main page of the IP Downloads, and sub-pages, there are two "buttons" still without text. One is to submit, the other to report (I think).

The submit throws an error in skin_downloads_submit.php on line 367 (which I reported WITH a fix in the Downloads Tracker, if anyone wants that to work right away).

Were those two buttons supposed to be fixed by these XML files?

From what I understood, it was meant to "fix" the core application only (forums, admin, etc.), not the add-ons like blog, gallery and downloads.

Exactly. I indicated this in my post, and if you look at the filenames it should give you a hint as to which applications the xml files include.

I'm having a hard time following, but the skin system was very buggy in Beta 3 and I wouldn't expect any skins from Beta 3 to fully work or import in Beta 4. The missing language bit wouldn't have been added from your old skin - the beta 3 skin simply wasn't language abstracted is all (so it didn't use any of the missing language bits).

If you can reproduce an image set not importing, please report it to bug tracker. Export it from beta 4 and try to import it on another beta 4 and note any errors or what happens.

iBotPeaches is right. Thus far, this release has NOT had a lot of bugs reported - only one *big* issue (and by big, we're talking about text strings missing from a language file, hardly a big issue programatically - we're not talking about infinite loops in the bbcode library or anything like that which would be a nightmare to sort).

Import these XML files into your ACP on the Look & Feel tab -> Languages, and you should be fine. These are just the core app language files (core, members, forums) so you might be missing some in the addon apps for now, but this should at least get you working. ;)

Appeared to work for me, although I had to manually upload the files to the admin folder to get them to work (15 mins and still didn't import using upload button, possible bug? I have a 20MB connection). Thank mate always a solid fix when you get at something, makes me happy with the support on here.

Archived