Login Using Facebook Account

Spirix

Hello,
Since IPB3 is using the new OpenID program, I would like to suggest that IPS maybe use Facebook Connect as well. Millions of people use Facebook and the amount of people that would be able to register using FB Connect FAR outnumbers those using Open ID
http://developers.facebook.com/connect.php
This would certainly be a feature that could set IPB apart from it's competition. It can also probably be set up so that new users have their profile picture as their avatar!
-Tom

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is actually quite a good idea. No offense intended with the surprised comment, but the majority of ideas usually seem to be aimed to benefit one person#s specific "wants" for their forums whereas this one could actually be a very useful addition.

The example site linked in the first post also interacts with Facebook on a larger scale, but just the ability to be able to invite your friends from Facebook to the forum would be a nice addition as well as the login ability.

So maybe it doesn't have to be incuded in the core functionality, but it would definitely be a nice additional login module if it was done well.

Just a note, From reading the Facebook Connect API documentation there is no way for accessing the email address for the facebook account, so if you would like to compare between the facebook account email and the members forum email (for checking if he exists, email taken etc...) you can't. So unless there will be another way of doing this i am not sure what will be best approach for such a thing. Maybe someone will trow in a few ideas.

I know, I just wanted to add the option to automatically login to the forum if your logged into facebook. The proxied email wouldn't help much if i knew the way it was hashes i could compare between that email and the members email. Still reading about the facebook API stuff. Maybe i don't want to register the member but just log him in with his FB profile details. i could do that if i had his email since everything is compared and authenticated via email. Like i said i am still reading and learning that API facebook thing.

[quote name='Vadim' post='1776278' date='Dec 14 2008, 11:49 PM']The Facebook connect feature was introduced several weeks ago, Didn't it?

About 2 weeks ago. But the API has existed for quite a long time (the ability to temporarily log a user in has existed for a while so that desktop applications like Trillian can do it).

I'm just going to state for the record that on a personal level, I'd love to get more integration with third party software. That includes additional login methods and integration with larger software packages like Drupal and Wordpress.

I'm considering looking into them (independently/not here at work) later this coming year.

[quote name='bfarber' post='1777690' date='Dec 23 2008, 09:23 AM']I'm just going to state for the record that on a personal level, I'd love to get more integration with third party software. That includes additional login methods and integration with larger software packages like Drupal and Wordpress.

I'm considering looking into them (independently/not here at work) later this coming year.
Would gladly pay for it too :)

[quote name='bfarber' post='1777690' date='Dec 23 2008, 03:23 PM']I'm just going to state for the record that on a personal level, I'd love to get more integration with third party software. That includes additional login methods and integration with larger software packages like Drupal and Wordpress.

Howl if you need help, a muse or just plain nagging and I'll be there ;)

Archived