Add an online indicator to profile page

Guest Luke

The profile page needs an online indicator... Sometimes I don't get to a member's profile from a post... I get to it from a PM or something... I click on their name and I have to scroll all the way down and look at their "Last Seen" thing, which may or may not mean they're online (they could have logged out).

Please add an online indicator somewhere near the top.

• 2 weeks later...

Go to:
ACP > LOOK & FEEL > ( skin ) > Edit Template HTML > Topic View >> RenderRow
Find:

{$author['member_location']}

{$author['member_number']}<br />

Add below:

Status:&nbsp;<if="$author['_online']"><span style='color:green'>Online</span><else /><span style='color:red'>Offline</span></if>

I'm sure that Luke is more than capable of making those skin changes himself. He's suggesting that it be made standard so that it shows up on sites over which he has no control.

Back on topic, I really don't see why this hasn't been added yet, as it seems to only make sense to be able to see whether someone is online by visiting his or her profile.

Go to:

Find:

{$author['member_location']}

{$author['member_number']}<br />

Add below:

Status:&nbsp;<if="$author['_online']"><span style='color:green'>Online</span><else /><span style='color:red'>Offline</span></if>

if there was a +rep button. this would be the time to use it! thanks!

That edit actually makes the change in topics where there is already an online indicator (the icon next to the username)

lmao! i never noticed that that thing changed! let alone existed! :blush:

wonder how easy it would be to remove the icon totally? the actual "online/offline" is so much less confusing <_<

Luke, as far as I know the profile system contacts the same code in ipsclass.php that pretty much every file nowaday does, and that file sets up all the $member stuff (well most of it), as you probably are already aware off. Because its already set up, in the templates you can just put {$member['_pp_online_image']} and it will work :-)

Haven't tested it, but 99% it will work because it is set up in ipsclass.php to do so, maybe they just didn't add it to the templates

Line 5455

//-----------------------------------------

// Online?

//-----------------------------------------

$time_limit = time() - $this->vars['au_cutoff'] * 60;

$member['_online'] = 0;

list( $be_anon, $loggedin ) = explode( '&', $member['login_anonymous'] );

if ( ( $member['last_visit'] > $time_limit or $member['last_activity'] > $time_limit ) AND $be_anon != 1 AND $loggedin == 1 )

{

$member['_online'] = 1;

}

if ( IPB_THIS_SCRIPT != 'admin' )

{

$member['_pp_online_image'] = $this->compiled_templates['skin_global']->personal_portal_online_image( $member );

}

• 1 month later...

As someone has said, I am more than capable of adding it to my own form. I would like to see it as a standard feature so when I visit this form it's easy to see if the user is online or not without having to hunt for it. As of now you have to scroll down to the bottom and look in the left column to see what the user is doing, but it really doesn't say if they're online or offline, it just says what their last action was.

The old profile had an online indicator, and if you switch to the old style it has it. It would be nice if this new profile system had the online indicator... even if it just had small text after the name that said "(online)" or "(offline)".

Archived