suggestions on changes for IPB 3.0

Guest Energizer

I have suggestions on changes for IPB 3.0:

Super moderators can see IP-address. I cannot prevent this. This should be changed in IPB 3.0.

The IP-address for Administrators is announced as "hidden". Super Moderators can make a query, however, and get the IP-address from Administrators nevertheless. Also normal Moderators can this, if permitted. This should be changed in IPB 3.0.

It is no use announcing IP-Adressse as "hidden".

How do they think about this?

I really don't get the big hoopla over seeing someone's IP address. An IP address has time and time again been deemed NOT private information.

If you don't trust your moderators to see your IP address, with which they can do nothing, how do you trust them with the ability to delete data from your site?

They then do not have to announce the IP-address of administrators as "hidden" either. What meaning does this make? This contradicts himself.

I may refuse a member that it can see if at last I was online (last seen: Private)? But may every Moderator see my IP number? This is not in any relationship.

My IP number must be hidden for others if I liked this.

You can prevent:

others see their e-mail address

others see when at last they were online.

others see just online whether they are.

and a much different one.

But my IP number which can lead to my place of residence over my provider is unprotected and I can do nothing?
This is not OK, this disturbs me.
This is not a question of the confidence. This is a question of the privacy. Definitely an administrator should have these.

I have suggestions on changes for IPB 3.0:

Super moderators can see IP-address. I cannot prevent this. This should be changed in IPB 3.0.

The IP-address for Administrators is announced as "hidden". Super Moderators can make a query, however, and get the IP-address from Administrators nevertheless. Also normal Moderators can this, if permitted. This should be changed in IPB 3.0.

It is no use announcing IP-Adressse as "hidden".

How do they think about this?

Yes you can prevent Super Moderators from seeing IP's already, in fact prevent everyone if you wish, including normal Administrators if you were the Root Admin then you can be the only one who can view. All this done by a code used on a 2.1.7 which I re-coded and perfected for 2.2.1 [not copyrighted by anyone] so I don't see why it cannot work on future versions?

So all normal Administrators, Super Mods, normal Mods can be prevented from seeing IP's. Or choose who can see, say only Root Admin or normal Mods even just members ;) with this code.

But I do agree it would be nice to have a feature on future versions which would be easier by simply changing with one a click, we can prevent others from viewing.

I take it that's what you mean? Some of us feel there are Super Moderators and normal Moderators who do abuse their powers many ways other then just Moderate and don't want to go into details for any ideas for others to get into.

You guys do realize that all anyone (even a normal member) would need to do to get your IP address is link to an image in a post right? The IP address would be logged in their Apache access logs. Super mods, moderators, members - anyone that can link to an image.

Your IP address is not private, and in most places in the world you cannot track to an actual physical address from an IP without inside access at an ISP.

You have the function for normal moderators:

Can view posters IP addresses? (Jes) (no)

Why can they not introduce this function for super moderators either?
This is not understandable.

I see none difference between normal moderators and super moderators, only that super moderators may present everywhere.

You have mentioned confidence. If they see this so, then they need none, too ACP Restriction Permissions.

I think trust is good, control is better.

I think it is not a big thing of this to make function for super moderators.

I didn't say it can't (or won't for that matter) be done.

I think you're worrying about something that you really don't need to be worrying about. If you don't want your IP logged, you practically just can't go on the internet. From ads to site visits, and viewing an image counts as a site visit, your IP is logged everywhere all over the place.

Like I said, if a member comes to your site and links to an image on their server, they have your IP address logged. I just (on a personal note) wouldn't be worrying about moderators seeing my IP address, when ANYONE can see it.

I would really like to see an improvement in the member permissions area

I once asked this through a Ticket & was told it was an interesting idea & that I should post it in the relevant area to which I did but never received a reply so I'll add it here

I have members who create little drabbles (Fan stories of 100 words)

I have 2 forums, one for the members to create their own topic with the ability that only the member who created the topic should be able to post & reply to that topic (Admins can as well of course) & a 2nd forum which is the feedback area where members can all chat & discuss the added drables giving feedback etc (where all members can replie to topics)

The first area needs to have permissions so only members who create the thread/topic can edit & reply to it where as the feedback area needs ability to allow all members to post replies

I tried creating a secondary group & giving that group only permission to create, post & edit own topics for the first forum however IPB combines permissions on both groups so as a normal member who hasn't been given reply permission in forum 1 but has been given permission to create & add to their own topics only in their secondary group) these combine meaning that member can add & reply to other members posts/topics in forum 1

I used to use this feature a lot in phpBB & the members loved how they could start a topic & have a secondary discussion topic so no clutter from discussion etc would fill the pages in between each of their submissions, now since I changed to IPB those initial members post only areas are defucnt & filling with clutter because IPB doesn't have permissions in it's system to prevent this & basically the feedback areas are useless seeing everyone started replying in the main threads.

I hope I am coming accross clear here, but I asked about this a year or so ago now & with the style of membership my forum holds unless these individual forum permissions improve I may have to look at returning to phpBB as they still have these features & my members are crying out for them :( (which may I add is not something I want to do because IPB has way too many other great features but it is annoying that these member permission issues exist)

My only suggestion,which I hope it can be added as default in the acp of the 3.0 version , is the option for the ''View on-line list'' at the permissions. So there you can choose which member group can view it and which not. Currently this is set to ''Yes'' and ''No'' for everyone.

I don't mean to keep hi-jacking this thread although I'd rather mention it here. (sorry)

I'd love to see more features being unlocked by members who post over a certain limit. When I was sixteen, I joined a forum which used IPB and gaining the posts to unlock the meber title was fairly addictive. It would be nice if we could reward our active members by giving them more ways of doing things.

Example for those who aren't following me. (I know it's hard) :P

When a member reaches 500 post's they gain access to seeing "who viewed their profile" extended from the current one.
When a member reaches another certain limit they gain orther unlockables. Just an idea, feel free to comment or knock back :)

When a member reaches 500 post's they gain access to seeing "who viewed their profile" extended from the current one.

When a member reaches another certain limit they gain orther unlockables. Just an idea, feel free to comment or knock back :)

I like this idea, but beyond what already exists (automatically move a user into a different group on x posts) it would be difficult to implement.

I like this idea, but beyond what already exists (automatically move a user into a different group on x posts) it would be difficult to implement.

Oh shoot. :P

Well until there's ways of adding some extra features to groups, it's a work-able way around. I actually felt crazy after posting it <_< :lol:
~Joey

1. I still suggest:
People who have many sub-fora should not have to delete this one by one. It lasts if well they could delete many suddenly.

This could look that way in the ACP:
Please, they choose the sub-fora which want to delete all of them together at the same time.

2. I still suggest:
If they have many the same sub-fora for a main forum, then they should not have to make every single. You should make one and then be able to often copy this in every other main forum arbitrarily.

This could look that way in the ACP:
Please, they choose main fora in which they would like to make this sub-forum.

I think this much work relief lasts

People seeing my IP address doesn't bother me and to build in additional restrictions to stop them is to my mind taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Merging duplicate accounts is needed I think providing that the other duplicate records are deleted by the system once the merge has been completed. There should be a mechanism to disengage posts/topics from duplicated member records and assign them to the the member record being retained.

A facility to remove orphaned private messages or delete all after 12 months. I've seen the code somewhere but a tool to automate this would be helpful for those of us who are perplexed by this dark art.

An automated facility to optimise our forum/gallery MySql databases and remove the 'overhead' issues from each. Again, I've seen the code in the 'dark art' section.

I like the idea of a referral/trouble ticket sytem and giving 'rewards' to high posting members (unlocking topics). On a phpBB site I visited recently is the ability to hide a topic until a member had posted a set number of posts.

• 1 month later...

I would like to see a better more efficient way of people searching what posts they have never read...I mean if they mark them all read they are SOL, however if they aren't on your site for a few weeks, IPB has a funny way of not showing every post that was new since their last visit. So a search for all posts that are read per user id and and advanced search to pick which forums they wish to subscribe to or ignore would also be helpful.

thanks for the great year of 2007, keep up the great work!

Archived