Confused

Guest ~Dopey~

And if Matt created the first version of IPB surely that makes him the founder thus being the Chairman/President, how does Charles come into it? Has he invested money into it?

I believe Matt and Charles both broke off from Ikonboard together to form IPB. Many of the other staff were present from the Ikonboard years.

http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=147
If you read some of the interviews from TAZ, you'll begin to piece together the history

:)

With whom did you start Ibforums? What support did you get from the outside community to start afresh?

Charles Warner and I left JEG to start our own partnership. We set up Invision Power Services as soon as we could -- this is the parent company for all our services. The support we had from the community was simply amazing. I had hoped that a few members would follow us over to Invision Board, but I never expected about 85% of the regular posters to follow us

http://www.sitepoint.com/article/matt-mecham-ibforums/

I had hoped that a few members would follow us over to Invision Board, but I never expected about 85% of the regular posters to follow us

There were ~350 member registrations on Feb. 12/13 and another ~150 on Feb 14., if that kind of illustrates the instant support IBF (now IP.B) had and continues to have from the community.

Those dates being when this place was born unto the world.

I believe Matt and Charles both broke off from Ikonboard together to form IPB. Many of the other staff were present from the Ikonboard years.

http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=147

If you read some of the interviews from TAZ, you'll begin to piece together the history

:)

http://www.sitepoint.com/article/matt-mecham-ibforums/

Wow, thank you :) ...I'll be sure to read up on them!

From what I recall, when Charles and Matt broke off from the ol' Ikonboard days, they needed a server and other things. I believe Charles (being the nice intuitive bloke that he is) fronted quite a bit of the money to get the company started. That entailed maxing out his credit card(s), etc.

Charles and I have had our differences in the past - but I've always respected him for taking the chance that he did. Between Matt, Lindy, and himself, they have taken a small bedroom operation to a full fledged company that is successful and profitable. I wish circumstances could have been different so that I could have remained a part of it. :thumbsup:

The reason the office is based in the US is simply because:

1) That's where most of our staff come from - a lot of our staff were with us before we had a central office. The office really came about as finding a place for all the US staff we had to work in, rather than a 'we'll get an office here then find staff to fill it' - which is how it usually goes.

2) The US is where most of our customers are based, so it just makes sense.

Hmmm, thats strange.

I use Skype to call friends and family from Sweden, UK & Australia and I very realy have any quality issues.

I also use it to phone my bank in the UK etc, I use it anytime I'm home as I dont have a land line any more at home as it want worth it....

Must admint, my home connection is a 10MB up/down, but I also use it on my portable with a GSM mobile card with no problems.

Rob.

Is there any plans for a UK Office?

I'd be interested to know that? :whistle:

I think that they need a

account, so that support can be called for free, from anywhere, not just the USA

I dont understand why companies are not embracing

more....

Short reason: Skype = naff. It's not developed enough and it's nothing more than a MSN Messenger. MSN Messenger is way better than that (via webcam call).

Hey, I didn't say you HAD to do it, just said it might be something of an idea to reduce costs for both you (I hear those toll free numbers are rather expensive!) and us (not everyone has a US office, you know - and $1.50 a minute for IPB support because of backwards telcos is freaking intolerable). If you really have to, on the "Contact Us" page you could just link to a selection of services that could save money when calling for support from outside the US.

Archived