IPS Gripes

Guest Sire

IPS main site seems to want almost no discussion in regard to IPS software on their own forums. At least in reference to the actions taken by their staff in numerous threads. They're always closing threads and conversations. For example, you can't even discuss looking for a design of a skin in the web design forum section. It is being considered a support question and referred to IPS Beyond.

If I weren't already a lifetime customer, I would be put off by all this and to be honest both the phpbb AND the vbulletin community are extremely more helpful and friendly and patient with it's customers, at least in comparison. Most people I would think would be assuming that discussion on the actual forum belong to the software you're about to purchase is acceptable. Especially those looking to become a new customer and searching for a good skin for their potential new forum, or for taking their existing skin and converting it. They cannot access this forum, until they've already spent their money.

Other examples the IPS Staff group are closing, that seem overboard in my opinion:

Using IPB Feedback forum to report Safari issues viewing the board.
http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?showtopic=230371
Action taken: CLOSED -> told to use bug tracker in client area to report it.

Meanwhile, this topic exists which seems to request this type of information from members.
http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?showtopic=230253

So pardon me for venting, but I'm just disappointed with the whole back and forth between IPS and IPSBeyond.

• Management

We simply ask people to post things in the appropriate areas as any other site would :)

Bugs to bug tracker
Member to member support on IPS Beyond
Feedback in feedback forums

The second topic you point out is about the site - not product bugs.

• Management

To side with the original poster, we know there is a bit too much locking going on. We have a plan to help integration between corporate forums and IPS Beyond. No real details yet, I'll have them post a blog entry about it when it's closer :)

Most people I would think would be assuming that discussion on the actual forum belong to the software you're about to purchase is acceptable.

Many of the people who post support questions in the wrong places are just idiots who can't read the text in the big red box properly, but I agree with what you are saying. The setup itself - placing the customer support forums and feedback/suggestions on an entirely different domain - is quite ridiculous, I have decided.

Locking the thread of someone who was looking for someone to upgrade a skin was a bit far. By those rules, topics for people looking for graphic design / web designers should be locked. Although in fairness to the locker, I think he went reading through loads of topics to lock, and just skimmed them so a genuine one got through.

score one for the C-man, dang! nice reply!

And this helped the thread how? >_<

Yeah, I agree closer integration would be good. It's just become a little less coherent which is why people are getting annoyed in the first place about lost threads and basically being sent off-site.

It is a little "unique" that member to member support is on an entirely different domain ;) (And yes, I realise many software creators don't have forums or restrict them greatly, but not usually forum software).

The other thing I don't understand is with the Safari thread in question. It seems like two members of staff were willing to help out in that thread, and then another just closed it. There needs to be a a clearer line between what gets locked and what doesn't, as it seems like there's a difference of opinion between those staff members.

It's possibly because bfarber has "Senior Support" in his sig, but since the sigs vary greatly between those staff members as well (bfarber's is the only one suggesting a specific role on the forums), and the member group itself is actualy the same across the board, it doesn't really mean much to the casual reader.

The "senior support" doesn't refer to the company forums - I provide support for the 'Advanced' tickets that are submitted to our client area (those tickets that are not general inquires, "how do I do xyz", or known issues, etc.).

As for my closing of the thread, I didn't exactly want to go behind the other two staff members. It's just that I, personally, handle about 50% of the bug reports (with Matt handling the other 50%) and it's too difficult to try to track bug reports across the forums and the bug tracker. ALL bugs should be reported to the bug tracker, while all support requests should be directed to the client area. Feedback topics or feature suggestions I read, respond, leave alone.

We simply ask people to post things in the appropriate areas as any other site would :)

Bugs to bug tracker

Member to member support on IPS Beyond

Feedback in feedback forums

The second topic you point out is about the site - not product bugs.

Just one part of there is incorrect, IPSBeyond is actually Customer to Customer support :D

I agree with the original poster, it also puts me off to see so many threads closed and the disconnect between these forums and getting any type of support. The standard answer of "File a but report" *LOCK* or "File a trouble ticket" *LOCK* is pretty cold. When you do file a bug report, there's not even any way of getting automatic updates when someone responds to the bug report or its status changes. You have to manually check any reports you're interested in, which is not very friendly at all.

Anyone who wants any type of support for the software they paid good money for is naturally going to seek out the website owned and operated by that company. That Invision pushes off community-related support to a completely separate site is unnecessarily complex. Making people jump through extra hoops when they have a legitimate issue will not endear people to your software or company.

..Al

We will be using our new blog to keep you up to date. That is one point of the company blog - to keep everyone in the loop between the big formal announcements.

The company blog is a good idea in principle. What concerns me though is that only certian information will be there. For example, Matt posted an update on IP.D on his blog recently - it'd have been nice to have this update on the company blog, and likewise for Wizzy's and Brandon's relevant blog entries.

Basicly, the blog is a great idea but would be much better if the information was all centralised in one place. :)

• Management

The company blog is a good idea in principle. What concerns me though is that only certian information will be there. For example, Matt posted an update on IP.D on his blog recently - it'd have been nice to have this update on the company blog, and likewise for Wizzy's and Brandon's relevant blog entries.

Basicly, the blog is a great idea but would be much better if the information was all centralised in one place. :)

That is actually the exact point of the new blog. :D Updates will now be posted in the corporate blogs, not scattered amongst individual blogs.

• Management

Invision gripes - where to start.... Lindy, do you read your emails?

It depends where you send it, to be honest. If you're aiming to send me an e-mail, my lindyt address is the safest place as you'll get a confirmation number and it will route as a ticket through our client system. I receive an enormous amount of spam at my personal account, so there's a good chance if you sent something there, it was lost. My apologies.

It depends where you send it, to be honest. If you're aiming to send me an e-mail, my lindyt address is the safest place as you'll get a confirmation number and it will route as a ticket through our client system. I receive an enormous amount of spam at my personal account, so there's a good chance if you sent something there, it was lost. My apologies.

Lindy,

When you refer to your 'personal account' does this also include the PM system and would a PM be expected to reach you - or not?

And also i dont quite understend why does invision make us have to pay for the SUPPORT subscription, just to read and download information from the IPSbeyound, isnt it supposed to be a Costumer to Costumer support forum? Do we have to pay the support to interact with other ipb users ? I agree about it being only accessible to users who own ipb licenses... but need to have the support subscription active? thats just redicolous!!!

Archived