IPB Ideas

Guest arcalypse

I am sure many people have shared their ideas for an IPB plenty of times, and each thinking that theirs is better than the rest. Hey, some of you may have already thought of these things, but I think that IPB should implement th following into the next IPB or one of them, they are good, solid, sound ideas, and I think that they should actually be taken into consideration.

1) Administrators should be able to view member's PM's as a default feature to the IPB.

2) Selecatable default skin for the board. What I mean is that some IPB's should come in a default green, or purple, or pink, or whatever colors the customer chooses when they install the forum. This should be at the registration page.

3) Though this may sound dumb, many people cannot buy IPB's, and though IPS may lose SOME profit, I think that IPS should give away 3 boards with each newly created board version. This would increase advertising by word-of-mouth. I know I would tell everyone.

4) Maybe the whole IPS publishing a book is a great idea. That could make up for some of the profit lost. Everyone knows that you have to spend money to make it.

5) There should be an "Ignore" feature that allows someone to ignore ignorant spammers, and flaming people.

Just a couple ideas. Not all of them.

1) Administrators should be able to view member's PM's as a default feature to the IPB.

I wouldn't be so happy with that, its breaking privacy; its only going to be useful for moderated members.

2) Selectable default skin for the board. What I mean is that some IPB's should come in a default green, or purple, or pink, or whatever colors the customer chooses when they install the forum. This should be at the registration page.

Its quite easy to make one yourself, colorize all the images via a graphics program; and edit css to have new values.

3) Though this may sound dumb, many people cannot buy IPB's, and though IPS may lose SOME profit, I think that IPS should give away 3 boards with each newly created board version. This would increase advertising by word-of-mouth. I know I would tell everyone.

Thats an good start for an idea, but needs extending

4) Maybe the whole IPS publishing a book is a great idea. That could make up for some of the profit lost. Everyone knows that you have to spend money to make it.

A book based on using IPS products to their full potential would be great and very helpful

5) There should be an "Ignore" feature that allows someone to ignore ignorant spammers, and flaming people.

You can ignore PM's by just adding them to the block list, but fully ignoring them wouldn't be so helpful if they have something useful to say.

1. Has been discussed many times before. IIRC, I think something along these lines may be added in 3.0 (though I could be wrong)

2. I have the IPB default skin in several colours on my own site (as it is the only skin I really like) - it's easy to do, especially with the tool at invisionize.com. Though it won't be added by default as it takes up a fair amount of space.

3. That would be unfair and would loose IPS lots of money in ways of support. I believe if you purchase lots of licenses you get a discount, but randomly fgiving away free licenses is silly.

4. IIRC, they will be publishing a user manual

5. Already exists, I believe

Reasons why this will not happen:

1. If their profit goes down, IPS will not be happy. Implementing this would mean their profits will go down
2. They will be giving away free support, and you know that it'll be the noobs that get the free packages constantly asking for support
3. It is unfair on people like me who have paid $185 for a license!
4. "But my mate got it free, so why can't I?"
5. Increase in piracy, people who get it free will redistribute it
6. It's harder to restrict what you can/can't do with something when it's free. You can force someone to a license agreement when purchasing the product and threaten to take away their product without refund if they break that license, do you think someone who get's it for free is going to care about the license?

There are many more reasons

Yes, but determining who gets them will be annoying so says the points below:

1. Top Three Posters would be unfair if time span not determined correctly
  2. Top Three Supporters would still be unfair for those who can't afford IPB or those who already have it
  3. Top Three ....

Reasons why this will not happen:

1. If their profit goes down, IPS will not be happy. Implementing this would mean their profits will go down

2. They will be giving away free support, and you know that it'll be the noobs that get the free packages constantly asking for support

3. It is unfair on people like me who have paid $185 for a license!

4. "But my mate got it free, so why can't I?"

5. Increase in piracy, people who get it free will redistribute it

6. It's harder to restrict what you can/can't do with something when it's free. You can force someone to a license agreement when purchasing the product and threaten to take away their product without refund if they break that license, do you think someone who get's it for free is going to care about the license?

There are many more reasons

Good points. Piracy is on the high already so it wouldn't really matter than. I can name a number of different places with IPS warez already.

Bad idea this is a violation of privacy. if stated in the registration agreement (which no one reads I might add) and if members that register find out that you can see their PMs you will have lawsuits out the butt.

2) Selecatable default skin for the board. What I mean is that some IPB's should come in a default green, or purple, or pink, or whatever colors the customer chooses when they install the forum. This should be at the registration page.

This would be a good idea to see done. altho it takes alot of work to make a skin. althoguh it would just take color changes..

3) Though this may sound dumb, many people cannot buy IPB's, and though IPS may lose

SOME

profit, I think that IPS should give away 3 boards with each newly created board version. This would increase advertising by word-of-mouth. I know I would tell everyone.

Not a good idea ether. IPB already has enough pirated boards out there that are loosing them money they don't need to loose more by giving away a free license.

IPB dose have a book but I think its for 2.1

already exists

• 1 month later...

Not a good idea ether. IPB already has enough pirated boards out there that are loosing them money they don't need to loose more by giving away a free license.

Instead of IPB giving away free licenses what if they made a website where people could sign up to get unlicensed boards which didnt have as much space and had google ads on them. IPB could get as much money as they are now if not more from this becuase more and more people are wanting something like this and are prepared to have not as much space and alot of ads on a board just to get the great features which IPB has. Also IPB could setup another forum just for the unlicenses forums so that people could get their support there and not here, it's just a thought becuase i'm only 13 and i want a forum like IPB and not a forum like SMF, phpBB or even invisonfree for that matter but the only problem is that i can't becuase of the license thing. now i'm pretty sure that i'm not the only one who can't get a IPB for that same reason.

So i'm not saying that IPB has to do this but what i'm saying is that it would be nice to have the latest version of IPB or a newer version then 1.3 and to be able to have the feeling that you actually have a IPB forum now and you don't need to worry about it being illegal or somthing.

google ads revenue won't compete with the amount of support effort they have to put into their free licensees, they already have a 48-hour response time now with paying customers only, so if they would take that up, it would only get worse...

google ads revenue won't compete with the amount of support effort they have to put into their free licensees, they already have a 48-hour response time now with paying customers only, so if they would take that up, it would only get worse...

Clarification....

We have a 48-hour guaranteed response time. Our response time on average is much much shorter than that however. ;)

Archived