2.2 Running Slower?

Guest The Gamers Force

I upgraded a few of my boards a test and a live and it seems that after upgradeing the page times are way higher. I went from a 0.5 or less average to 2-4 seconds average, has anyone else noticed this?

if this is Jared from complete skins this is Will

check to see if your server is using a cache software

eAccelerator or MMCache TrunkCache or something if so you need to enable the API cache compatability in conf_global.php

If you say it's running "slower" - are you noticing any SQL queries taking a long time? How much traffic is the server getting, and what kind of server is it? There's about 1000 things that can contribute to speed, and a blanket statement "it's slower" is somewhat hard to nail down why it might seem slower. :)

You using IE or FF? If there are PNG images in the thread, and you're using IE6, it could be the javascript resizing and fixing the PNG images that is causing the 'lag' you are noticing? Or is it the page execution time?

Really, little changes have been done to the topic view (aside from joining some more member data on for the drop down menu) so you shouldn't be seeing much changes when viewing a topic. Similarly, almost no changes were done to the forum view (very little) on the backend so you shouldn't see much difference in page rendering there either.

Really, little changes have been done to the topic view (aside from joining some more member data on for the drop down menu) so you shouldn't be seeing much changes when viewing a topic. Similarly, almost no changes were done to the forum view (very little) on the backend so you shouldn't see much difference in page rendering there either.

it that your way of saying its not been sped up and theres more of a possibility the forums even by x.xx of a second could be slowed...

No - several speed improvements have been done in 2.2.

I/we have changed/added (off the top of my head):

• Use of mysqli DB client (improved over mysql client) if available
  • Support for caching engines who allow shared memory access
  • Signatures only parse once per-member on each topic page
  • Calendar reduced from ~12 queries to ~7 queries
  • Messenger function doesn't load UCP components (lang, lib, skin files) to reduce overhead
  • Many many many undefined index E_NOTICE notices were fixed to reduce (unseen) calls to the internal error handler
  • Many stripslashes/addslashes calls reduced (where possible)
  • A few new MySQL indexes added (i.e. the ip_address on the posts table) to improve speed
  • usort functions in the parsing classes only called once now instead of per-parse
  • Server load is checked on shutdown, cached, and only checked once every 10 seconds instead of at the start of every single page load
  • Dozes of others
I spent roughly a week strictly profiling IPB and all of the pages I could run the profiling against. I refactored the code flow in some areas so that instead of loading certain classes globally at the beginning of a class, it only loads them in the functions that need the classes - i.e. in some areas, instead of just loading the parsing classes at the beginning of the auto_run function, the parsing classes are loaded only in the individual functions that utilize them.

We've spent a lot of time profiling IPB and trying to speed it up, tweaking things as we go. It should certainly be much faster than 2.1 by all means.

That said, if you are using IE6 (which is no longer the latest IE release by the way), some of the javascript effects that are run may make the page seem like it loads a bit slower as it operates on the final output. This isn't a universal thing, and it depends on the content on the page itself. I was just throwing that idea out there based on what you had said.

As far as the IE6 PNG javascript, is there a way to prevent it from running? I have found the image resize, which I don't mind so much, but the png fix can in instances just lock a board up. There are a couple of forums that I quit going to because of the wait for every page just about. This holds true especially for pages with high png file counts. I can understand a couple of seconds, but there where many times when I would wait 5, 10, possibly 15 or more seconds for the page to display. I know IE7, Firefox and other display these correctly, but there are a lot of people who use IE6. I don't think their experience should be lessened because of it.

Well you see there's another end of the stick, so to speak, with IE6. With PNG images you can reduce the over all page size of the graphics being used. Before using PNG, you have to layer images on top of each other to get the desired effect. Plus the IE6 JavaScript routine is ONLY loaded when the page has finished loading (i.e. the "onload" event). So I highly doubt that the IE Fix is the cause of the problem because it happens rather quickly (mainly because the images are already downloaded and it's using DirectX to re-render them from cache), and it doesn't happen until all items have been downloaded.

Jared : Are you using the disk cache or the database cache? If you are using the disk cache try switching back to the database cache. If I'm not mistaken the memcache is actually slower than the database cache unless you get a ton of load on your database.... So you wouldn't want to use it unless it was actually necessary.

I am getting the same problem and it looks as though there is nothing running to cause a problem to slow it down although I am cheacking with my Webhost to see if they are causing it to run slow because they have made some changes to the package I have, but... saying that 2.1.7 is running like a rocket so they can not be throuttling this, otherwise they would bnoth be the same.

I am getting the same problem and it looks as though there is nothing running to cause a problem to slow it down although I am cheacking with my Webhost to see if they are causing it to run slow because they have made some changes to the package I have, but... saying that 2.1.7 is running like a rocket so they can not be throuttling this, otherwise they would bnoth be the same.

I had a little talk with my host and explained what was happening and they said they are not running any of what .Will wexplained but, this morning it's running like a rabbit on speed...? :) it's really fast compared with 2.1.7. So I am not sure what was causing it ro run slow working really well now.

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem with 2.2.1, although I don't think it's a software issue, I think it's my host, sometimes it's fast and sometimes it's like damn dial up - they told me to optimize my DB's but I have no idea how to do that <_< Any suggestions?

Go into the ACP and it is under SQL Management somewhere.

Anyway, I personally don't find it any different.

if this is Jared from complete skins this is Will

check to see if your server is using a cache software

eAccelerator or MMCache TrunkCache or something if so you need to enable the API cache compatability in conf_global.php

If eAccelerator is enabled, what line do we need to change?

Archived