BBCode tags in new editor

Guest ellawella

I'm giving this suggestion its own thread as I feel it's important enough to be a mandatory change before 2.2 RC/final. And yes, I've cleared my cache etc. etc.

One more thing - pressing the bold, italic etc. buttons in the standard editor makes the tags come out highlighted. If you start typing, you'll erase them. The only option is to deselect them with the caret somehow and move back, or click your mouse in between the opening and closing tags. I'm assuming this is a semi-bug, semi-change, because I remember from before that the caret was placed in between the tags once they were introduced to the textarea (i.e. [ b ]--> here <--[ /b ]) in previous versions of the 2.2 editor, which is

much

more convenient.

......well, regardless of what this "2cool" attitude is, I still think it's very obvious that something you just inserted into a textarea should not be highlighted. I mean, it makes no sense, does it? And it makes inserting things between the tags a lot harder.

Which browser are you using, ellawella? I just tried what you're referring to in IE7 in this post and the tags weren't highlighted. Maybe try a Ctrl + F5?

Firefox 1.5.07.

I've emptied my cache numerous times - still, the tags are highlighted when I create them. It bugs me :unsure:

It makes perfect sense. If you were using Microsoft word and had text highlighted to make it bold, it would be still highlighted so you can apply other effects to it. The same goes for the editor, it's just the standard editor shows the tags. Besides I think you can not select any text and press "B" (for bold), keep typing, and then press "B" again (to close the tag) and keep typing.

EDIT: Ok I think I see what you mean. I dont think you are complaining about the text being highlighted, it's when you don't have the text highlighted it inserts both tags. Before if you had nothing highlighted it put in the single tag, and then when you pressed it again it closed the tag...

It makes perfect sense. If you were using Microsoft word and had text highlighted to make it bold, it would be still highlighted so you can apply other effects to it. The same goes for the editor, it's just the standard editor shows the tags. Besides I think you can not select any text and press "B" (for bold), keep typing, and then press "B" again (to close the tag) and keep typing.

EDIT: Ok I think I see what you mean. I dont think you are complaining about the text being highlighted, it's when you don't have the text highlighted it inserts both tags. Before if you had nothing highlighted it put in the single tag, and then when you pressed it again it closed the tag...

Start Firefox. Log in. (If you haven't done those steps already.) Open fast reply. Click either the B, I or U buttons.

Fin.

Yeah I see what you mean now. When you select text it's supposed to wrap the text and keep it highlighted (with the new tags). But if you press it without having anything selected it puts in both... Before it only put the opening tag in.... you could type... and then press it again for the closing tag.

Yeah I see what you mean now. When you select text it's supposed to wrap the text and keep it highlighted (with the new tags). But if you press it without having anything selected it puts in both... Before it only put the opening tag in.... you could type... and then press it again for the closing tag.

Actually, before I seem to recall it placed the caret in between the [opening] and [/closing] tags, which was convenient. "Before" being in some earlier incarnation of IPB 2.2, that is.

Have you entered a bug about this? Unless it's in the Bug Tracker, we can't count on Brandon/Matt seeing this and fixing it.

Yes, I reported it here and Matt claims to have fixed it, but the issue persists on the company forums at least. I assume these forums' files just haven't been updated yet to reflect any changes he may have made.

And only now do I realise you're FuSoYa! :P

Archived