Forward button

Guest TCWT

sounds indeed illogical, why would you want to forward something to the user it came from :rolleyes:

That's exactly my thought! Why would I want to forward the PM to the member that sent me it???!!!

Minus well add the REPLY and DELETE buttons on the dropdown menu when clicked on the member's name.

Yeah, this is pretty ridiculous. How does a forward button being under the username make any sense at all?

The trend - which is absolutely not a good one - in IPB 2.2 is to remove buttons and hide them in dropdowns, all in the name of "cleaning up the interface." This has the opposite effect, and I'm saddened by the direction that this is taking.

I would say that the IPB 2.1 interface is far cleaner and clearer than that of 2.2.

And another change that I don't like is when a member messes up the quote tag for any reason, for example, forgetting to type the

in this case. It returns this message:

The following errors were found

The number of opening and closing quote tags does not match. Please fix this to submit your post.

This personal message has not been sent

Not everyone understands how tags work, moreover, if there is a lot of PM replies going back and forth, a member may be confused when trying to edit. Therefore, they may not be able to send the PM at all cause of this error preventing it from being sent.

A majority of members will experience this on my board, not many know how to format the quote tags when there are many messages being quoted..

And another change that I don't like is when a member messes up the quote tag for any reason, for example, forgetting to type the [ quote ] in this case. It returns this message:

The following errors were found

The number of opening and closing quote tags does not match. Please fix this to submit your post.

This personal message has not been sent

Not everyone understands how tags work, moreover, if there is a lot of PM replies going back and forth, a member may be confused when trying to edit. Therefore, they may not be able to send the PM at all cause of this error preventing it from being sent.

A majority of members will experience this on my board, not many know how to format the quote tags when there are many messages being quoted..

Why not just have it automatically close the quote tag?

that's not the point, when newbies screw up the quote tags somehow, they will be confused. Granted, the quote tags hae already been added when you click on Forward or Reply. Why does this rule affect PMs only, it doesn't affect replies to a topic.

I like this new way better

Why? What merit does this system have?

I would say that I only forward 1 out of every 1000 PMs I get, most of the time I reply to them (or just delete them :P). I think it's perfectly fine to have it the way it is.

So it's fine that the feature is hidden in an illogical and difficult to access place because you never use it?

Why? What merit does this system have?

So it's fine that the feature is hidden in an illogical and difficult to access place because you never use it?

it just looks cleaner and you all are the whiners that moan you want more kool Ajax functions well this is an awesome new one

I do not believe .Will knows what Ajax is.

.Will, AJAX is an acronym for Asynchronous Javascript And XML (the A is included in the acronym so it can be pronounced) - of which there is none in the new PM functionality.

Hmm wow I thought you guys were more intellijent then this

you mean to tell me Matt lies that that dropdown menu is NOT AJAX wow :unsure:

it just looks cleaner and you all are the whiners that moan you want more kool Ajax functions well this is an awesome new one

Please enlighten me, how does adding a Forward option to the dropdown menu make it an AJAX function? AJAX wasn't even mentioned at all in this topic until you bought it up. Minus well add the Reply and Delete buttons to the dropdown menu for the sake of cleanliness. :whistle:

I have a better idea. When you go into a PM, let's not let you see the PM at first. Let's make there be a centered title saying "Private message from username." Then, when you click on that, there will be a dropdown menu with two options: "view message," and "do not view message." If you select "view this message," the message can load in AJAX. There will be a scrollbar, though, as we don't want the message to take up too much space. If you want to reply to the message, you can click on the username for the member, getting a dropdown. In this dropdown, you can bring your mouse to where it says "Options >>" and a side menu will open. In that menu, there will be options to reply to, forward, and delete the message. All of these options will load in AJAX.

I have a better idea. When you go into a PM, let's not let you see the PM at first. Let's make there be a centered title saying "Private message from

username

." Then, when you click on that, there will be a dropdown menu with two options: "view message," and "do not view message." If you select "view this message," the message can load in AJAX. There will be a scrollbar, though, as we don't want the message to take up too much space. If you want to reply to the message, you can click on the username for the member, getting a dropdown. In this dropdown, you can bring your mouse to where it says "Options >>" and a side menu will open. In that menu, there will be options to reply to, forward, and delete the message. All of these options will load in AJAX.

That sounds like some sort of horrific forum feature you'd expect from phpBB.

Archived