Report button idea..

Guest .KX

Ok if you're not familiar with the Moderator Centre final modificatio for 2.1.7......then, hmm...go familarize yourself with it at 'Ize. :DIt's really great. Basically all reported posts get sent to a central system where moderators can add comments, assign statuses etc. with a little my assistant-esque type tab, with snazzy ajax etc.It also works with the blog and gallery I think...would be cool to have a report PM thing too hmm?Anyway I think you should really, really consider doing this with IPB, it would help a lot.There's also a little x new reports thing on the member bar. :DIf you want screenshots then...ugh I'll get some.

lookhn1.png

This is a great suggestion. Saves all my hassle to check one by one via reported post and in the end noticed that one of my moderator fixed it few seconds ago. It would saves a lot of time and assign each of the moderators to specific forums and let them fix according to their category. This features would also be great for the admin to know which, where and when the moderator is not doing their job...

+1 :)

Ok if you're not familiar with the Moderator Centre final modificatio for 2.1.7......then, hmm...go familarize yourself with it at 'Ize. :DIt's really great. Basically all reported posts get sent to a central system where moderators can add comments, assign statuses etc. with a little my assistant-esque type tab, with snazzy ajax etc.It also works with the blog and gallery I think...would be cool to have a report PM thing too hmm?Anyway I think you should really, really consider doing this with IPB, it would help a lot.There's also a little x new reports thing on the member bar. :DIf you want screenshots then...ugh I'll get some.

Well, if you notice, the guy who made the Moderator Centre was actually hired by IPS... perhaps that means something?

Luke, you have produced probably the best mod for IPB, as you now work for IPS, why is it not being included!? I can't think of one person who enjoys getting report PMs (which is why I like to report posts on this site as every mod gets a PM which is very annyoing, you'd think they'd learn)

Based on that screenshot, this does seem similar to vB's infraction system. What vB does is after a post, thread, etc. is either moderated or soft deleted, it's moved to a forum where further action can be decided. With this proposed system, the topics will be moved to a "central location," which works like a forum.

Should be included with 3.0

I use it, I hope it's still compatable in 2.2 (I'll cry if it isn't) it was worth the money, props to the guy who wrote it.

Oh just looked at lukes post, did you make the original one for 2.1.x? If so awesome work, if not, this next one looks great too. I so hope it's included (or the 2.1.x one works until 3.0)

Luke, you have produced probably the best mod for IPB, as you now work for IPS, why is it not being included!? I can't think of one person who enjoys getting report PMs (which is why I like to report posts on this site as every mod gets a PM which is very annyoing, you'd think they'd learn)

Even if it were to be considered to be built in, it is too late to include in 2.2. If we were operating under the same standards as when we released 2.0, or maybe even 2.1, it may have been possible. The issue is we now have the code security audited, so we really can't add anything else in this release besides bug fixes and very minor additions (minor additions mostly to new features in 2.2). It would have to wait until the next version, most likely major, whatever the next one will be.

Should be included with 3.0

I use it, I hope it's still compatable in 2.2 (I'll cry if it isn't) it was worth the money, props to the guy who wrote it.

Oh just looked at lukes post, did you make the original one for 2.1.x? If so awesome work, if not, this next one looks great too. I so hope it's included (or the 2.1.x one works until 3.0)

When I created the new "Report Center" it was developed first under 2.1. Then the night before 2.2 went public on the company forums, I spent all night converting it to 2.2, finishing up some things, and making bug fixes - I was up until 5 AM. As of now, it is not 2.1 compatible, but it is not impossible to back port if you know how to do it. One of the biggest reasons why it isn't is because the template system was completely changed in 2.2 as far as variables and html logic is concerned. Another reason is the AJAX window style was changed, and the css names are slightly different, not to mention structure. Besides that, and some changes to the AdminCP templates as well, it should still theoretically work with 2.1 with some work. But since 2.2 has a lot of changes in regards to security, you really don't want to stay with 2.1.

As far as the report centers future... I don't know right now. It really hasn't been discussed yet, and I really don't expect anything to happen. If it doesn't it will just be another third party component. We'll see what happens though. I really don't know what will happen... That's why I haven't commented in my blog yet... It is done, it just needs a few tweaks, I need to clean my comments, and I personally need to go through it and make sure everything is secure, at the very least.

I wasn't hired as a developer, I was hired as a support tech because of my knowledge of the inner-workings of IPB. Maybe there is potential, but I'm not going to assume anything.

• 2 weeks later...

An enhanced report system is something I'm strongly considering for 3.x. We felt it was too big of an addition for 2.2 (which is a point release, not a major release), however it is something I think many users would find useful (and has been requested many times). :)

Yeah i use that modification for my main site. My site is inactive, but it's still obvious how well it works overall.

The main things I want different in report system are:
1. It could be like mod center or else it could simply make a topic in a forum you specify. They could do this much easier and quicker if they simply make it go to a forum, you could just make a staff forum.
2. The actual report have a COPY of the post where the person can't quickly edit their post and not get caught.

Just wanted to let everyone know I haven't given up on the Report Center. I've just had some difficulties in the last couple of weeks, and there reallly isnt that much left to do with it. I need to add the ability to report PM's, general stuff about the member (avatar, signature, etc..), and finish gallery support.

the last version was 2.0 final right?

Of the Moderator Center yes. I'm calling this something different because I re-coded the whole thing from scratch. It's a lot more complex than it's predecessor... Has the ability to take on any number of different things to be reported through a plug-in interface. Plus "Report Center" makes a little more sense.

Here are some screen shots from a few weeks ago: http://www.custombb.net/rc/

Where the "View" link is I'm planning on putting a thumbnail of the image that was reported for the gallery plugin.

And this requires zero modification what-so-ever to the php source files. Just skin changes.

Archived